• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

A comparison and review of 20 small/low-wattage/lunchbox amps

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
Great descriptions of each amp! But like most magazine reviews, all the the good and no negatives. I also like reviews that include comparisons.

Guitarjon

Thanks for the comments guys!

I get a lot of comments like: 'what, no victory?' or 'what, no dover?'. But you guys have to understand that this is my personal collection. These are all amps that I personally dig and that's why I have them. I'll probably buy more in the future though haha. Amps aren't cheap and a lot of the amps that I have can be considered relatively affordable.

Steviecaster

I assume you mean Wangs? Yup, great stuff!
Yes. Auto correct.
Wangs is total boutique quality. You can't find anything close for the money. Im getting one soon.
Do you know much about the different models? I know they have a 2204, and a 1987. I don't know what the others are.

Guitarjon

Yes. Auto correct.
Wangs is total boutique quality. You can't find anything close for the money. Im getting one soon.
Do you know much about the different models? I know they have a 2204, and a 1987. I don't know what the others are.
I only know of the HD-15, HD30, 2204 and 1987. The 1987 is a plexi style amp with EL84's if I'm correct. I'm gassing for a 2204 tbh. I'm very happy with my Marshall SC20H and it would be fun to try a 'different' take on that same design but with more power (50w I believe).

jamez

Great collection. Thanks for taking the time to put all that together. Good to see a few oranges in there; I have AD5, TT, Rocker15C and TV50. Always room for one more :aok.

Vcaster

@Guitarjon, many thanks for another terrific roundup vid! I also very much appreciate the amp description blurbs.

The Marshall SV20H is on my short list.

I’d been intrigued by the PRS MT15. Recently, though, I read about the planned October 2020 release of the EVH LBX-S, which you mention.

Since you own the MT15 and are familiar with the EVH line, any comments comparing/contrasting these two? Of course, the MT15 has 6 preamp tubes versus the 4 in the LBX-S, and the MT15 burns 6L6 valves compared to EL84 in the LBX-S.

https://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/amplifiers/model/mt_15_2020

https://www.evhgear.com/gear/amplifiers/head/5150iii-15w-lbx-s-head/2256020000

Also, given the superb content you’ve already published, have you given any thought to inquiring with specific manufacturers about sending you amps to demo? (So you’re not having to buy everything.) With the understanding that doing so comes with its own hassles. Just curious.

Cheers!

suparsonic

This is a narrow test, one style of music. Both dead clean and super saturated all sound so close you’re splitting hairs!

Guitarjon

@Guitarjon, many thanks for another terrific roundup vid! I also very much appreciate the amp description blurbs.

The Marshall SV20H is on my short list.

I’d been intrigued by the PRS MT15. Recently, though, I read about the planned October 2020 release of the EVH LBX-S, which you mention.

Since you own the MT15 and are familiar with the EVH line, any comments comparing/contrasting these two? Of course, the MT15 has 6 preamp tubes versus the 4 in the LBX-S, and the MT15 burns 6L6 valves compared to EL84 in the LBX-S.

https://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/amplifiers/model/mt_15_2020

https://www.evhgear.com/gear/amplifiers/head/5150iii-15w-lbx-s-head/2256020000

Also, given the superb content you’ve already published, have you given any thought to inquiring with specific manufacturers about sending you amps to demo? (So you’re not having to buy everything.) With the understanding that doing so comes with its own hassles. Just curious.

Cheers!
Thanks!

Regarding the MT15 vs the EVH: the EVH has a more tight and aggressive sound whereas the MT15 perhaps has a slightly more versatile sound. I don't think both are great at classic rock tbh but they are both cool for rock and metal. Obviously the LBX isn't as versatile due to the lack of clean channel though. The MT15 has a sound that is slightly broader and less sculpted. Hard to explain haha. Which styles do you play?

Also, it would be great if companies would send me more amps! :)

Vcaster

Obviously the LBX isn't as versatile due to the lack of clean channel though.
Aha. Yes; that’s a significant factor.

The upcoming EVH LBX-S has Green and Red channels. I’m looking forward to checking it out.

The MT15 has a sound that is slightly broader and less sculpted.
After listening to your demos again, I think you nailed it right there.

Which styles do you play?
Hard rock, rock, blues rock, pop. I have Marshall, Fender and Vox amps. Been building up a project studio. It’d be good to have one super gainy tube amp in the quiver.

Also, it would be great if companies would send me more amps!
Heck yeah!

You’d need to contact all the marketing departments to get on their list for product. In my opinion, you’ve got the bonafides with your published content. Marketers are lookin’ to drive demand, which is why views and subscribers are key metrics for YouTubers.

b80

Excellent review. I've tried most of those Orange's and I absolutely LOVE them!! I think Orange makes the best lunchbox style, personally.

jm9239

Silver Supporting Member
@Guitarjon killer video, man. Question - if you had to choose between keeping your dual rec or mini rec, which one would you keep and why? I have an Axe FX III and JP-2C but have been wanting to add a rec to the mix and can’t decide between the mini or its larger brother.

Guitarjon

@Guitarjon killer video, man. Question - if you had to choose between keeping your dual rec or mini rec, which one would you keep and why? I have an Axe FX III and JP-2C but have been wanting to add a rec to the mix and can’t decide between the mini or its larger brother.
I would go for the mini because I prefer how it sounds overall. However, do keep in mind that I don't use those amps on stage. For my studio the mini is just perfect tbh but it might not be enough for gigs....

Trending Topics

Top Bottom