• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

A comparison and review of 20 small/low-wattage/lunchbox amps

Sir Don

I think Joyo are making some pretty good lunchbox amps these days. I have a Zombie MKII which is a fantastic two channel amp with fx loop.

Guitarjon

Just these small ones in the video. But that does beg the question that brings up another category: which sounds "biggest".
From my current collection, these are some of the best and most versatile options (in my opinion):

-ENGL Fireball 25
-Mesa Mini Rectifier
-Friedman JJ Jr
-Hughes & Kettner Grandmeister Deluxe 40
-Orange Dual Terror

Buck Woodson

No. I can't really pick favorites because all my amps are great for various things. These are just some picks of amps that tick a lot of boxes.
I haven't tried nearly as many small amps as you but the Mini Rectifier / Recto-Verb 25 is the best small amp I've ever played.

I tried a JJ Jr. at a guitar center and was disappointed though it could have just been my lack of familiarity with the amp or even the guitar I picked off the rack to try it out with. IIRC it had P90s.

Mojo Tonewood

Really impressive thread here. Thank you for all the information, very helpful. I'm in the market for one of these small amps and want the tight high gain, leaning towards Engl.

Sloppyfingers

Cool thread..Thanks OP for doing the comparison..I myself, own 2 in the lunchbox category and 1 that's sort of in between. (Slo 30).I absoultely love both my Friedman Pink Taco, and Marshal SV20. Now I just need to sell off my JCM800 2205 to make room for either the Silver Jube20 or the SC20..Anyways, cool vid..Thanks for making it!

Last edited:
Having owned an EVH 5150 Mark III LBH-S (Stealth) for a month, I can say the cleans are terrific, and the amp is a winner. Hope you get a chance to include it in future reviews. Ditto the Revv D20 - that amp (and the G20) have an awful lot of good tone and flexibility built in that leave some of these other lunchbox amps in the dust.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom