• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

A compressor that does not change the tone?

tochiro

Hi,

I'm looking for a compressor pedal that does not affect the tone at all and has a mix between compressed sound and dry sound. I tried several of them but they do affect the tone (Wampler comp., Xotic comp. for instance). Any idea? Thank you.

Cheers

filtersweep

What do you mean by 'affect tone?' Any compressor can be perceived to affect tone if the settings are a bit extreme.

tochiro

Yes sorry I'm unclear. I mean affect the frequencies of the tone. For instance by adding trebles or removing mids. They're not totally transparent adding only compression FX.

The whole thing with a compressor is that they DO affect your tone. They work by changing the attack/decay characteristic of your guitar. How could that not change your tone?

Squatch57

Yes sorry I'm unclear. I mean affect the frequencies of the tone. For instance by adding trebles or removing mids. They're not totally transparent adding only compression FX.
There's peaks in both the midrange and treble of a guitar tone. The compressor reduces the peaks thereby affecting the tone
Even a $10,000 studio compressor is going to affect the tone because that's why we like compressors

I've got the Carl Martin, Tone Press & Custom Comp. They all affect tone to varying degrees, but I prefer the tone

Astronaut FX

Gold Supporting Member
I might suggest another way of thinking. The Diamond compressor has an EQ knob so you can control the degree to which the EQ is impacted.

Sociophile

"Ignore" Button Aficionado
The most transparent compressor I've ever tried is the YellowSquash IronFist. Great review on Gilmourish.com.

JCJones

Ah yes, the dreaded 'subtle' compressor. While compressors do affect your tone the Barber Tone Press was the most subtle compressor that I've ever used. But how much 'squash' do you want?

Steven

The Keeley GC-2 is for lack of a better word "transparent" in that I dont think it alters the tone very much. Its the best comp I've ever had and I've had loads of different compressors.

teleluvver

What do you want a compressor to do for you? For example, do you want it to smooth peaks?

Last edited:

R.C.Moran

Gold Supporting Member
The most transparent compressors I've used are the Rivera Sustain Shaman (it does have a tone control along with blend, you have to EQ it flat) and the Cornish OC-1 (no EQ, just sustain, level, and blend). If you don't want to pay the price for a Cornish, the Rivera is the way to go.

1radicalron

I add my comprssion later = During the Mixdown. 1176, Distressor, Neve - all work nicely, and does not seem to color to the tone much at all.

Hugo Da Rosa

Gold Supporting Member
I might suggest another way of thinking. The Diamond compressor has an EQ knob so you can control the degree to which the EQ is impacted.
To add to this, the Diamond Compressor has a switch inside that allows you to bypass the EQ controls. Technically, leaving the EQ knob at noon is meant to set a "flat" frequency so you aren't getting any "coloring" per se but if you really want to play that safely, you can simply flip that switch inside and not worry about that all.

That goes without saying, the Diamond Comp would be my suggestion as well. I have it on my board and it has been a constant for me for the last 8 years now.

Trending Topics