A confirmation - you don't need to spend big $$ for playability and tone

Whittlez

Ok - disclaimer- I'm a collector, I own well over 100 guitars and I buy them as investments and own many high end guitars. I am not saying they don't have worth.

So, this weekend I headed out for a trip with the fam and decided to throw a guitar and amp in the car so I could jam while sitting on the couch at the vacation rental.

My choice - a guitar and amp that I wouldn't have to "worry about"

A SX Furian Swamp Ash Tele. I bought this guitar NEW for $130 shipped a few years ago. It's a great little tele clone from China (Pre Coronavirus... ) :)

A Pignose I bought used for $50 - it came with a replacement speaker that upgrades it a bit.

A chord. And a pick.

That's it. Not ONCE did I think "man these tonez aren't very good". It sounded great , played great and not once did I think I was "slumming " it. Sure, I didn't have any effects to play with - but the basic tone, playability etc. were all there and I could get a wide variety of sounds by adjusting volume and pickups.

My point is this guitar cost me $130 NEW a few years ago and I have never had to muss with it. I changed strings once. That's it. Nothing frets out (action relatively low a .050 " high E and .060" low E 12th fret) , and it sounds and plays great.

There is nothing wrong with buying high quality gear!! But you do NOT need to pay a lot to get a great solid playable guitar and amp.

And there has never been a time when that is more true.

Noise Under The Floor

Platinum Supporting Member
I had a 90s Ibanez Talman I paid $200 for. It was a really fun guitar to play. Had a comfy and fast neck and this trashy punky kind of tone. I actually regret selling it, and there’s been some really $$$$ guitars that I don’t miss at all.

A friend of mine plays Squiers pretty much exclusively, playing both guitar and bass in several bands, and gigs with them. He sometimes upgrades pickups, but has no desire for anything else.

Last edited:

rhinocaster

Silver Supporting Member
You had me until Pignose....;)

Honestly, I could have lots of fun with that sound but that one is a pretty limited. I do agree with you that you can have wonderful sounds on a really small budget.

DustyRhodesJr

Silver Supporting Member
You had me until Pignose....;)

Honestly, I could have lots of fun with that sound but that one is a pretty limited. I do agree with you that you can have wonderful sounds on a really small budget.

My nephew toured the south for a couple of years.

One thing he said surprised him was that he shared a bill with several bands where the
guitar players used a Pignose miked thru the PA.

He said one guy told him he liked to travel light and had been using one for a few years.

rhinocaster

Silver Supporting Member
My nephew toured the south for a couple of years.

One thing he said surprised him was that he shared a bill with several bands where the
guitar players used a Pignose miked thru the PA.

He said one guy told him he liked to travel light and had been using one for a few years.
I've had two over the years....I dig. I'd have to be in a certain mood to have one as my only option for the weekend. :)

Big Al Z

Silver Supporting Member
It’s true that with today’s instruments you can get a very, very good sound for cheap. But it’s also like the drag racer paying for that last tenth of a second, or less, advantage. It costs money for that last little bit of difference. On the other hand it’s kind of like my buddy once told me about vodka - “Imagine the money I’m saving because I can’t tell the difference between Korski and that stuff you’re drinking”.

It’s a balance of what makes you happy.

Shiny_Beast

Gold Supporting Member
I wish digging it correlated with price, life would be much easier. Even so, most guitars have a sound I can work with, even if they aren't what I'm into. It's just wood wires and magnets. I think it's a lot about the parts adding up to decent balance, not always the quality of the parts. Quality is nice though; dividends in the long run.

I currently gig with a Harley Benton SC550 Les Paul Style Guitar, a Katana 50 and a pedalboard with either Boss pedals or mini Chinese pedals. I enjoy the sounds I get very much. The days of needing to spend a lot of money for guitar gear are over. You don’t have to spend a lot of money to get good gear if you don’t want to.

jwguitar

Ok - disclaimer- I'm a collector, I own well over 100 guitars and I buy them as investments and own many high end guitars. I am not saying they don't have worth.

So, this weekend I headed out for a trip with the fam and decided to throw a guitar and amp in the car so I could jam while sitting on the couch at the vacation rental.

A SX Furian Swamp Ash Tele. I bought this guitar NEW for $130 shipped a few years ago. It's a great little tele clone from China (Pre Coronavirus... ) :)

A Pignose I bought used for $50 - it came with a replacement speaker that upgrades it a bit.

A chord. And a pick.

That's it. Not ONCE did I think "man these tonez aren't very good". It sounded great , played great and not once did I think I was "slumming " it. Sure, I didn't have any effects to play with - but the basic tone, playability etc. were all there and I could get a wide variety of sounds by adjusting volume and pickups.

My point is this guitar cost me $130 NEW a few years ago and I have never had to muss with it. I changed strings once. That's it. Nothing frets out (action relatively low a .050 " high E and .060" low E 12th fret) , and it sounds and plays great.

There is nothing wrong with buying high quality gear!! But you do NOT need to pay a lot to get a great solid playable guitar and amp.

Nothing wrong with inexpensive guitars. As long as it stays in tune, plays well, and sounds good, that is really all that matters.

otter5555

i also have many,

A chord. And a pick.

i also have many, many guitars. in the last few years i've fallen in love with les paul junior DC's. i have nice gibsons but also many clones. for days i have been playing a $120.00 firefly dc junior. all i did was a setup and played. the p90 sounds great from clean to metal and it plays GREAT, sounds great and stays in tune. there are some great bargains out there today that cost near nothing.

ejeffreyhorn

Silver Supporting Member
Jack Pearson, widely recognized as a player's player in Nashville, uses a stock Squier strat. I'm sure it raised some eyebrow's when he dropped it off at Glaser's for a setup. But if a Squier with a setup can work for a player of that caliber, it tells you it's all about the fiddler and not the fiddle.

Trending Topics