A couple cool new guitars from Bill Comins

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by nik, Aug 28, 2008.

1. nik

nik Member

2. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I have played 4-6 of Bill's archtops over the years, and each one was just wonderful. No doubt he will make a wonderful solidbody. Looks cool on his site, thanks for the link.

3. VictoriluxEL84

VictoriluxEL84 Supporting Member

I just bought one and it is incredible! Can't stop playing it :)

I hope to take some pics and post them this weekend.

4. guitarjunky

guitarjunky Member

They are absolutely gorgeous! And just by the pictures we can see the very high level of craftmanship!

I'm impressed Bill... I am sure you will have a great sucess with this new line.

:bow

5. joemesser

joemesser Member

So.....how incredible is it?

6. Wheels

Wheels Gold Supporting Member

I got to play Bill's personal Lyrist (serial #001), and it is an amazing guitar! It was extremely responsive and a gorgeous build. I tend to be a Fender guy, and the neck felt perfect.
    I've always wanted a Comins, but prefer solid bodies. This will probably end up being my main guitar. I will be putting a down payment on one soon. My X-mas gift to myself. Selfish? Yes.

Wheels

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  7. joemesser

joemesser Member

I'm very interested in these. I'd love to hear some more about your impressions of the instrument!

8. Wheels

Wheels Gold Supporting Member

Hey Joe,

sorry, it's been a while since I checked this thread. Bill's guitar really grabbed me. I have wanted a Comins for quite some time, but didn't think my playing matched up with his jazz guitars.
    I felt completely at home on the Lyrist. Like I said earlier, I tend to play Fender medium "C" necks with a 9.5 radius. The neck was really comfortable. It really resonated unplugged. And then plugged in I was getting a wide range of tones! Really responsive...the whole experience left me blown away. The quality and vibe of the Lyrist was far above anything I own or have played.

I'm in the process right now of selling some things that won't get played once I own a Lyrist. Hopefully to have a downpayment in the next month or two. Feel free to PM/e-mail if you've any questions.

Wheels