A couple of large boxes arrived at work today (old Klemt Echolette 5 & Maestro PS-1)

Yeah, that's right!

I opened up my 1970 Maestro PS-1 Phase Shifter I bought from Skreddy (I think it's used, LOL) and the 1960 Klemt Echolette 5/S tube driven tape echo unit. I popped in the tubes and was overjoyed to find out that it powered on and the tape mechanism does turn when the long or short delay setting buttons are engaged. The seller didn't have any tape to test it out with, but I have some fresh tape loops at home to try out!

The only part that sucks is that I have one hour to depart from job #1, then rush to my house, put something in the dryer, play with new [old] toys and then be at job #2, which is located several minutes of traffic away. I have a feeling that the true test of this stuff won't happen until later tonight. If I can get the tape echo running, I will post more clips tonight!

drolling

Holding down two jobs to pay for gear we couldn't afford back when it was new!!

My keyboard playing little bro' gave me that Maestro phaser 'cause he didn't like it w/his Clavinette or his Rhodes - sounded frxkin killer w/guitar, IIRC (pedal got swiped 30 years ago..).

I'm really curious to hear about that tape delay! Had a rusted-out Binson Echlolette years ago that I couldn't get working, but the tube preamp produced the gnarliest distortion I've ever heard!!

Sounds like it's gonna be a long night, so keep your eyes off the clock..

Lookin forward to the review tomorrow!

Actually, does anybody have an answer to this question?

The Echolette has been converted to use 1/4" jacks instead of the grouned Euro-jacks (three pin connector) that were apparently more popular in 1960 Germany... However, it appears that only the three input jacks have been converted. There are still two of these funky old jacks on the face, one for a footswitch (ha!) and one for the output. Why the output jack wasn't converted is beyond me. There was also one cable included besides the power cable, it's got the 3 pin connector on one end for these Euro-jacks and the other end has a spring going down to a threaded (screw on) connector that says "SWITCHCRAFT INC." on the inside. I assume that it's for the output and not the footswitch (I'm just going to leave it in the signal path for the preamp or maybe put it in a looper anyway, I'd bet the original footswitches didn't have any speed or special functions, just on/off- like you could find a replacement today anyway!). However, I have never encountered this type of connector and don't know if I need an adaptor to go out to a 1/4" jack or what... This means I probably won't be able to test the Echolette out until tomorrow, *IF* I can make it out to a hardware store in the midst of my double at the restaurant, *IF* I can figure out what kind of adaptor I need... Any help here?

OK, the amp-end of this cable looks just like the end of that adaptor just to the left of the microphone:

So, I need a 1/4" plug that has a male screw end like what's on the bottom of that microphone, but with a 1/4" plug on the other side instead of a microphone... (it looks like this was probably an input cable for an old mic or something before, or maybe old amps had male jacks that you screwed the cable onto...

qyetyme

I had one of these about 10 years ago, but if my memory serves me, mine had that same cable for the output, and on the end was a female 1/4" jack so you could plug a typical 1/4" instrument cable into it. I'm not sure, however, if that jack had been added to the end of the cable or if it was always that way.

What's also really cool is the way the eye tube shows you your input level.

-eric

Leaving work a couple of minutes early so I can swing by an electronics shop maybe I'll be able to try it out tonight after all!!!!!!!!!!!!

fuzzinator

Very interested to hear what you think of the Phase Shifter. I've been eyeing them on the Bay for awhile.

Thanks for the link!

I actually went to the hardware store yesterday, they are going to call me on Monday and let me know if they can order just one of the Switchcraft part I need... basically, it'll just be a 1/4" plug with a threaded male end that screws onto the end of the cable I have... Still, a Lava Cable with 1/4" -> DIN sounds enticing.... I will try and get the $2.50 part, but if it doesn't sound good, I'm sure Mark can whup up something for me...

Trending Topics