A couple of questions about pedal board layout (Signal Chain)??

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rock-On!!, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Rock-On!!

Rock-On!! Member

First I want to say thanks to the GP members that have helped me with sorting out the right pedal selection.:AOK

The end is getting closer, but I still need a few tips with the signal chain.

So far this is my signal chain;
    Peterson tuner
    AM fuzz
    Budda wah
    Retro-Sonic phaser
    OD 1
    OD 2
    OD 3
    all of which are true bypass.

What I need now is some feedback on how to finish out the chain.

These are the pedals I have left to work with and this is the order I think it should be,
    but I am not certain about the ISP and the EQ placement.:NUTS

EB Volume
    ISP noise reduction
    Boss EQ
    Boss Delay
    AM Chorus

Any suggestions or input would be greatly appreciated.:dude

2. jamison162

jamison162 Member

I'd say delay goes dead last.

Why the phaser out front? It's modulation also.
    By the way, how's that RetroSonic Phaser? I'ts on my list to check out.

3. Rock-On!!

Rock-On!! Member

The RetroSonic Phaser is a cool unit.
    I like the fact that it has the Speed, Depth and the Level adjustments.

Ah, I don’t know.:NUTS

4. taylorooney

taylorooney Active Member

tuner>volume>wah>fuzz>od's>chorus>eq>noise reduction>delay

5. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

Wah ->Fuzz ->OD's ->Chorus ->Phaser ->EQ -> Delay -> Volume -> Tuner

I'm not sure about the noise reduction since I've never used anything like that.

Putting the Volume pedal in front of your drives doesn't make sense if you plan to use you guitar volume increase/decrease gain.

6. Rock-On!!

Rock-On!! Member

The guitar will be used to control the gain and the volume after the ODs' will control the overall volume.

7. TheGigPig

TheGigPig Member

Ok, a couple of things to consider here.
    First of all the Volume. It will have a 500k pot (to ground ) which is ok but this will affect your tone if it's not placed properly. It's best if your going to use these boss pedals as well to place the volume AFTER one of them. That way a buffer from the BOSS pedal will be driving the resistance from the volume pedal and you won't loose tone.
    Looking at the chain I'd say it looks like you want to use the EQ as a boost for solos right?
    So place the EQ after all your od pedals, then the VOLUME.
    Then chorus and then delay. Chourus into delay sounds cool, but this is a matter of taste.
    The isp is a wierd one. I've never used a noise reduction unit as I've never had need. I would simply be using the volume pedal to turn down between songs. It's also another buffer in the chain and now they're starting to add up.
    I would suggest seeing what it's like without it, but if you need it, you could also place it before the volume as none of the pedals after the volume will be creating undue noise.

Hope this was helpful :AOK

8. Rock-On!!

Rock-On!! Member

Yes, Your suggestions were very helpful.
    That makes since and can be do-able.
    Actually the EQ is going to be uses a general purpose pedal for different cabs or guitar changes, but I can see the logic of your suggestion.

You are probally right, I may not need it at all

Should this go at near the end along with the delay and chorus or ahead of the Ods’?

So, it should be something like this?
    Tuner-Fuzz-wah-phase?-comp-OD-ISP(if needed)-EQ-volume-delay-chorus.

9. Sid

Sid Member

as far as i know the budda wah is not true bypass so i dont know if the fuzz before or after might make a difference..am looking into it myself

10. TheGigPig

TheGigPig Member

That's right, the budda wah is not true bypass, but it can be easily modded.
    A good rule of thumb is that fuzz's, specialy germanium fuzz's like to see the input impedance from your guitar. If you stick a buffer into them you're asking for trouble. It gets noisy and very hard to control. So placing your fuzz BEFORE your wah is always a good idea unless of course you get a TRUE BYPASS wah.
    As far as your phaser is concerned you might find the effect a little more pronounced if you place it after your od's. If you phase your od tone the sound is very dramatic but if your OD your phase it can sound a bit mushy. This is just suggestion but it's a good place to start.
    So I'd say phaser into chorus into delay...isp on ebay!

11. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Member

Exactly my point.

The poster before me suggested putting the volume pedal before the OD's. That doesn't make the volume pedal nearly as useful IMO.
    Volume pedal at the end of the chain is the only way :AOK

12. walpow

walpow Guest

I run the ISP Decimator last in the effects loop, and keep it on all the time. With a no-loop amp, I ran it last in the chain.

13. DejavuDave

DejavuDave Member

Wah ->Fuzz ->OD's ->Volume ->Chorus ->Phaser ->EQ -> Delay ->Amp

or

Fuzz ->OD's ->Wah ->Volume ->Chorus ->Phaser ->EQ -> Delay ->Amp

General rules (works most of the time):
    Volume after boosters, od's, fuzz, etc.
    Wah before volume
    Delays last unless using reverb, then delays->reverbs
    Noise suppression before delays/reverbs
    EQ's before suppression/delays/reverbs
    Higher gain before lower gain/boosts

Chorus/Delay/Reverb Tips:
    Use effects that can output 100% wet signal only, use a mixer to split the signal going to the effect, remix 100% wet back with 100% dry. This will greatly help retain your original tone, add dimension to the effect, and provide better clarity overall. An alternative to a mixer is Xotic's X-Blender. I use two and recommend it.

14. dosmun

dosmun Member

Tuner > Fuzz > Wah > EQ > OD > EQ > Phaser > Chorus > ISP > Delay > Volume >

The EQ could be placed at either of the places I have shown above depending on what you want to EQ. 1st for changing the sound of your guitar/pu's. After the OD's for changing your overall sound.

15. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

The Phasor could be placed in front of fuzz, matter of preference.
    Noise gate is a studio effect, I have never needed one.
    Volume pedal before delay will let you get delay effects not available the other way 'round!

16. karlo

karlo Member

I ran my volume pedal last for a while to act as a master volume, but I've been liking it more right before delay/echo...allows me to take out the guitar but still have the delay naturally fade out.

17. Chris_G

Chris_G Member

The only thing you need to take into consideration as far as noise reduction goes is that delay/reverb should probably go after it. If you put the NR after before the delay, it will cut off our delays once the gate on the NR kicks in. It is possible that you want your delays to be cut off...but I doubt it. :)

All of the above are great suggestions, but if you notice some of them are contradictory (where to put a volume pedal for instance). My basic rule is this...what other people tell is a good starting point but in the end you should just experiment and see what works for you. Sometimes the "wrong" way sounds good to you and works well for your application.

Chris

18. Brett Valentine

Brett Valentine Member

ISP noise reduction (? or earlier in the chain)
    EB Volume
    Boss EQ
    Boss Delay
    AM Chorus -one thing you might have to watch out for with the AM Chorus is overdriving it especially if you like to stack OD's. I had that problem running the Am mini chorus last in the chain; so you might want to run it somewhere in between the OD's maybe after the first one depending upon how you set your output levels. Otherwise, I also like to have a chorus last in the chain.

As for the noise reduction, I don't use one at this point, but I'm curious as to why you want to run it after the EB volume pedal? I figured you might want to run that somewhere in between the OD's as well which should allow you to ride the guitar's volume controls better. I guess it depends upon which pedal/pedal combination is the noisiest. I found that the earlier I ran noise reduction, the farther I could roll off the guitar's volume.

That's my $0.02
    Brett

19. ShortyK

ShortyK Supporting Member

From Budda

"We've incorporated a hard wire bypass so that the effect is completely out of the circuit when switched off. This allows your signal path to remain pure and in no way compromised like vintage style wahs"

20. Mercury25

Mercury25 Member

Does the Phase-Chorus order really matter? I have an EVH 90 and modded Boss CE-2 and don't hear much difference...

Tim