A couple simple Mustang questions..........

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by harry65, Apr 24, 2016.

1. harry65

harry65 Member

Hi guys, I am a relatively new SS convert , used to gig with either a blackface Vibrolux or a tweaker 15 , i've been gigging a Richie kotzen flyrig now for about 3 to 4 months and couldn't be happier , so I need a home practice amp and was thinking about a mustang of some sort , been doing a little snooping around here and some research and am thinking a mustang iii v2 would be a great practice amp but also maybe a gigging amp , so the questions...............
    1- I've heard talk of using a 2 button footswitch and a 4 button foot footswitch together , in other words 6 options , is this true? If so can they be configured to say have 4 preset amp models with different effects and the two button switch as say a reverb on/off and whatever?
    2- The XLR outs on the back , do they have cab sims to go straight to board?

Thanks in advance for the help guys and gals...........
    P.s really thinking about an amplifire after hearing y'all gush about it

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Member

[​IMG]

They are pretty great, but the fuel consumption is kind of heavy.

MrLahey, adjeff2706 and harry65 like this.
  3. harry65

harry65 Member

I'm more a greenie tesla guy..........

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  4. lspaulsp

lspaulsp Gold Supporting Member

The answer to both questions is yes.
    The three comes with the 2 button, you would have to purchase a 4 button.
    The 4 and 5 come with the four button.
    Fender also has an EXP-1 foot pedal (wha) that can control about any function. ($100)
    If you use the EXP you loose either the modulation or overdrive block which is STUPID!!!!!!!!!!
    If you only use it for volume you don't loose the blocks but you can purchase a vol pedal for way less than $100.

5. harry65

harry65 Member

Moocho grassy ass mi amigo.........

6. eriwebnerr

eriwebnerr Member

Mustangs are great amps. Amplifire is great too. No reason you can't use them together and use the Mustang on its own or as a power amp cab for your amplifire :)
    The AF is a much better tone machine IMO but the Mustang is no slouch!

7. harry65

harry65 Member

Well I love my flyrig especially with my old school tubescreamer in front but would love 4 different foot switchable models , rhythm clean(never too clean , think paisley) , same rythym boosted for country leads , rock rhythm (Malcolm young) , liquidy violin lead sound , really all I would ever need I think...........

8. pima1234

pima1234 Member

It is a great modeling amp. Lots of options.

I have a brand new Mustang III with the 4-button switch, Fender exp pedal, cover, and even an extra 2-button switch that I'm planning to list. Hit me up if you're interested. Got it, took out of the box, and it's been sitting ever since I got my Fractal AX8 (and that's not because the Mustang isn't good).

9. ur2funky

ur2funky Supporting Member

the 4 button works a little different than that. Check out the online manual for the options. You can have 3 presets and hold for tuner or the 4th button changes the footswitch mode.

It works nice though, especially if you also have the two button. I have the 2 button set to stomp (drive pedal) and mod. So with the 3 presets and the overdrive, I have six levels of gain quickly accessible.

I bought one for a practice amp and realized it does the gigs nicely. And some of the drives will clean up the guitar's volume knob nicely to

10. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

I keep seeing these threads and wanting one more and more

11. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

The switching options with the 2 button. 4 button and Exp are very good. The Exp can control a lot of different things (and can be had for less than $100), like delay repeats, amp drive (at your foot, a great feature), vibrato speed or intensity, reverb volume, you name it, as well as being the best no tone suck volume pedal I have ever used. I have not found that I lose an effects block using it.
    The Mustang III sounds very good at speaking voice (practice) volume, and can get frighteningly loud for live use. It DOES NOT have boatloads of effects but what it has a pretty good to very good. A drawback is that the compressors and ODs are in the same block & you can only pick one, so no comp + OD. I do use an external SP comp in front of it sometimes because of this. If you need big chains of fancy effects it is not for you. With tweaking the amps can sound very good and the right ones are as touch/volume control sensitive as any tube amp I have owned.
    The xlr outs sound very good for no-mic recording. Not positive but I think you can have cab sims or not on them.
    It is great having amps, effects, power and speaker all in one & not having to worry about fancy midi controllers, power amps, FRFR & all that. It sounds & feels like an amp-in-the-room because it is one.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
    Dr. Zorlac likes this.
  12. Jim234

Jim234 Member

The Mustang (in my case III v2) are complete winners in my book. I could not believe it when I saw a good friend of mine out gigging his (he was a JCM800 man usually), I was soooo impressed with the crunch setting he was getting - always a tricky sound to get on SS amps. Before then I was under the impression that these amps were practice amps for kids and first timer's. Needless to say I went out and bought one the next day and gigged solidly with it for 12 months. All the extra toys you can buy are worth it IMHO, give you much better switching options all for very little money.

Check the out the in the blues vids on youtube - this guy kills with his.

13. eriwebnerr

eriwebnerr Member

I like those videos too. He does some great head to heads with the Mustang and vintage Fender amps. The Mustangs hold their own - given, he is comparing mic'd cab tones.
    I guess now though he doesn't use a Mustang anymore but has switched to using a Peavey Bandit Red stripe series. I had one of those about 10 years ago - great amps! If you just want two simple channels and no effects - these are another good option.

14. Jim234

Jim234 Member

Shane does seem to swop his gear a lot so discredit to the Mustang. Other notable SS amps he owned was a Tech 21 2x12. They were/ are a good amp except the clean and crunch channels are totally mis-matched.

15. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

FWIW: I like to use the 4-button switch for 3 Quick Presets and the 2 button as Delay on/off and tap tempo.

harry65 likes this.
  16. harry65

harry65 Member

Which is exactly how I would use them:aok