A Couple Simple Questions for AxeFX Users

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by MetalGuitard, Feb 2, 2015.

1. MetalGuitard

MetalGuitard Member

Do any of you run backing tracks/other instruments ( keys, etc ) through the FRFR cab you use with your AxeFX and if so, does it negatively affect the quality of the AxeFX's sound? In other words, does the AxeFX get swallowed up or muddied up?

Also, how hard is it to hit the DSP limit for the FX section?

Trying to gather some input from experienced users for a friend with his finger on the AxeFX trigger.

Thanks guys!

2. jimfist

jimfist Member

yes you can, via the input2/fx loop in/out connectors is just one way it can be done. I personally wouldn't mix the second input from other sources blended with the primary guitar signal in the AxeFx. I would run separate direct feeds for the guitar and 2nd instrument and send them discretely to the mixing board.

OTOH, you certainly can have a second instrument with its own discrete signal path running in parallel to a guitar signal path, and have them blended at the very end of the routing grid to come out from output one. Again, I wouldn't do it that way but you can.

If the second instrument feed to the AxeFx needs no processing, there is a minimal cpu hit, maybe just for a couple of shunts, which don't use much processing power. You could also run an EQ or Filter for tone shaping with minimal cpu hit.

Quality wise, assuming the second instrument feed is run parallel with no interaction or common processing with the guitar, then whether the guitar portion gets swallowed up really depends on how the 2 signals are balanced in volume and tone with respect to each other. Another reason why I wouldn't blend two instruments into a single output...it creates limitations...but it certainly can be done if you work on the blend of the two carefully. The AxeFx works perfectly well as a transparent "mixer".

3. MetalGuitard

MetalGuitard Member

Thanks for the info Jim. WHat I meant by running multiple instruments into your FRFR was say, if your FRFR cab you use with your AxeFX has 2 inputs, and you feed that 2nd input with a mixer/CD player/line in from a laptop, etc is that gonna negatively affect how your AxeFX sounds coming thru that same FRFR cab?

For instance, if I have an AxeFX and 2 x QSC K10's and I feed the AxeFX into Line A input on each K10 and the other source ( CD/iPod, etc ) into the Line B input of each K10, would that cause sound quality issues? In my head it would seem that if you recorded a CD with the tone in your AxeFX and played everything back via CD/Ipod, whatever minus the guitar tracks of course and both were going thru the K10's, it should sound essentially the same as you listening to JUST that CD thru the K10s.

I've never tried this though and my friend could benefit a LOT from a setup like this if it works as I think it should but he doesn't want to compromise the quality of the guitar/AxeFX sound.

I have another band I work with that is also considering a similar setup using modellers into FRFR cabs as well as the backing tracks/drum machine/keys into those same FRFR cabs for simplicity of setup and control of sound.

4. jimfist

jimfist Member

oh. jeez, I misread your post too quickly. ?My bad! LOL. If your cab has dual inputs and amp output limiting overall at loud volumes, yes, it is possible for one channel's signal to cause limiting to squash the signal of the other. The answer here is to have ample headroom in your amplification, and/or, if you're feeding bass heavy content to the system, consider the use of subwoofers and high passed upper cabinets to minimize the stress to the main upper cabinet.

Really, I think it is a volume issue with respect to the cabinets. At "normal" volumes it should be fine. I do something similar running drum beats into channel 2 of my speakers.