A couple Tele questions - vintage wiring and pine as a body wood?

Presc

I'm on the hunt for a Tele, and went to play a few yesterday as I try to narrow down specs and other aspects I may like. I was able to get my hands on an AVRI 62 Tele Custom, 4 CS Teles, and an LSL.

1) A few of the guitars had absolutely dead sounding neck pickups, and what seemed to be consequentially darker sounds from the middle position - am I correct that this is due to those guitars coming with the vintage wiring schematic? I'm sure this is an easy fix, but it's difficult to compare guitars when some of them are wired this way. One CS Tele seemed to have my favorite bridge position sound, but I had no way of knowing how I would like the neck and middle positions.

2) Any general observations on pine as a body wood? The LSL was sugar pine - it was super lightweight and sounding great, very clear and lively. While I wouldn't say the LSL sounded thin, a couple of the CS Teles had a bit thicker tone on the bridge, but this may be a pickup wind and/or height issue just as much something driven by the body wood

On a side note, LSL makes an excellent product. On a subjective level, it was my second favorite guitar of the day, and objectively, I think it's safe to say the build quality and fretwork were right on par with the CS guitars. Kudos to LSL for doing it at a price that's closer the AVRI than the Custom Shops. But not a bad guitar out of the entire bunch. :phones

nrand

Have you asked this over at TDPRI Telecaster forum? Heaps of Telecaster experience over there.

EADGBE

I'd just try as many as possible and buy the one that plays and sounds the best. You can tweak a guitar after you buy it. But only so much.

Presc

Appreciate the recommendations (and I've been an admirer of Ron Kirn's work for a long time, he is on my short list of builders to consider), but I'm trying to ask two more general questions:

1) What do people think about pine and how it compares to the traditional Tele woods (ash and alder)?

2) Are the very dark neck pickups that I heard on some Teles attributable to those guitars being wired with the vintage circuit as opposed to the modern circuit? I guess I'd just like some more detail on this.

I'm trying to play a bunch of Teles and get a good feel for what I want - pickups, wood, neck shape, fret wire, even aesthetics with the goal of getting something built by one of the usual Tele builder suspects. But I'm still in the stage of figuring out what I want in the guitar.

Drewski

Gold Supporting Member
I take covers off of traditional tele neck pickups. They sound dark, and muddy to me. Even when wired in a "modern" configuration. Its hard to say how the guitars you played were wired.

Drewski

Gold Supporting Member
As for pine, its my favorite tele wood. I find it very full sounding, if that makes sense. Rounder than ash.

Trending Topics