• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

A couple tube amp questions regarding pedal volume

Triocd

Silver Supporting Member
I have a 5 watt tube amp with a 25 watt Jensen speaker. The thing is LOUD even though it's 5 watts. I tried a silverface champ the other day and my amp was probably twice as loud.

Do I risk blowing out my speaker if I use a distortion pedal with the volume all the way up? When I have my amp on 10, then kick on my pedal with that volume all the way up, the pedal probably doubles the volume. This produces what I consider an insane amount of noise for a small amp. Is my speaker totally fine?

Next question is if I have my amp on 10 and the pedal volume set low, are the tubes still being pushed hard like they are when the pedal isn't engaged?

Thanks

pdf64

Your 25W Jensen speaker is almost certainly able to cope with anything a 5W amp can deliver.
if I have my amp on 10 and the pedal volume set low, are the tubes still being pushed hard like they are when the pedal isn't engaged?
The tubes just respond to the signal voltage presented to them, the control settings that achieve that signal are immaterial; best to let your ears answer your query. If the amp doesn't have much gain and your guitar has lowish output pickups, then you may need a pedal to push the amp into heavy overdrive. You may benefit from another pedal, in order to switch between rhythm and lead tones. Use whatever settings work best for you

robrob

Do I risk blowing out my speaker if I use a distortion pedal with the volume all the way up? When I have my amp on 10, then kick on my pedal with that volume all the way up, the pedal probably doubles the volume. This produces what I consider an insane amount of noise for a small amp. Is my speaker totally fine?
Your 5 watt amp can only put out around 5 watts no matter how hard you push the power tube(s) with pedal and preamp gain so your 25 watt rated speaker should be safe.

DaveKS

Just turn the pedals vol knob down to unity or a little above so it overdrives the amps input. Then play with small adjustment to pedals drive, EQ and vol knob and you'll find sweet spot that will give you most OD you can expect without pushing amps preamp stage into a hissy fit.

You'll find with Jensen type speakers that have very pronounced mid scoop you'll want to focus that OD push in mid range, pushing to much bass will make speaker flub out, pushing to much treble will accentuate high end hiss.

Even at full crank with hard dist/fuzz pushed at it doubt power tube clipping would ever pass 7w peaks in what is probably a single ended amp. Speaker will be fine, your just OD'ing the preamp a bit to much.

TimmyP

A 5W amp driven to full clip, with a really stiff power supply, might get to 10W owing to all the harmonic content. Your 25W speaker should have no trouble.

Trending Topics