a creamy fuzz face fuzz? (peter cornish?)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by stereotypy, Feb 2, 2006.

1. stereotypy

stereotypy Member

anyone have some ideas? i am looking for a fuzz that is very creamy sounding and literally metling your guitar to the amp... but yet has the grit of a fuzz face.

peter cornish? mjm london fuzz? other?

2. doublea

doublea Member

So are you after a pedal that will add tons of distortion/OD? If you can be a little more specific of the sound you want I might be able to recommend a Cornish pedal for you.

3. THROBAK

THROBAK Gold Supporting Member

Many, many good ones out there to choose from. Go here for some clips of mine. www.throbak.com.

4. stereotypy

stereotypy Member

well,.. it's hard to describe. i am looking for nice sweet fuzz, but not big-muff style. more fuzz face style. but not just a fuzz face. you know i own a ad-900. before i used to play through a dd-20 and dl4. when i used the boss for example and kicked in the analog delay, it was still just a copy. but when i know use my ad-900 the whole sound just becomes bigger!

i also have still my diamond fireburst which also sounds big. but in the wrong way (too dry and it was feeling like a hole. not like a mountain)
    . yes i love the guitar sound of david gilmour on live at pompeij.. there he used a fuzz face. i own the icbm fuzz which is not the right thing for what i would do now.

it's mostly for soloing. should sound good when you play rotatory(?) two notes on two strings ... if you know what i mean by that..

i heard that pete cornish pedals sounds very great. i am looking for a gilmour fuzz face sound but with a lots of room to get me between my guitar and the amp... you now reacts to my playing in a good way... make my knees warble by how good it sounds...

oh man.. i am not very good in this description.. but maybe you got what i mean..

5. stereotypy

stereotypy Member

ah.. and it should be kinda creamy sounding... smooth..organic like..
    not harsh

6. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

I love my Cornish pedals, but it doesn't sound like that's what you're looking for. They're a lot closer to Big Muffs than Fuzz Faces. I would also describe them as more smooth than gritty, though there's plenty of gain.

Cornish pedals are very quiet and well behaved in an effect chain. They act more "modular" than most fuzzes in that they sound very consistent wherever you place them and don't act funny with wahs or anything. On the other hand, they don't clean up by rolling back the volume control as much as most fuzzes do.

Still, you may like them. It's so difficult to describe tone, that I'm never sure that we're all on the same page. With fuzzes, context is a big factor, too.

7. stereotypy

stereotypy Member

[what do you mean by modular... that could be what i was looking for.] <... edited this! was stupid.

i read to fast... i guess ;)

what i thought you mean my modular is the way they sound. you know what i tried to describe with
    "feels like sound in a room where you stand between the guitar and the amplifier",.....
    that kind of big addicting sound...

8. stratovarius

Cornish pedals are buffered, so you don't get the loading effect from your guitar or whatever. Many fuzzes sound terrible if you stick them after buffered pedals and sometimes react differently with different amps. Cornish pedals usually sound consistent in any context. They sound good with all of my guitars and amps - that's not necessarily true for some of my other fuzzes.

9. stereotypy

stereotypy Member

so what's the difference between the g-2 and the p2???
    do you know what new pedals pete is releasing in april?

10. stratovarius

I don't know about his new stuff.

G2 - This one's a masterpiece. There's a lot of gain, but it's very organic and amplike (sorry for the cliches). It's probably the most useful since it's in the middle to upper end of the gain spectrum. You can get soaring lead tones and chunky chords that stay defined.

P2 - This one is the most fun - big and fat. It has a ton of gain but it's very controllable. If you like a wall of fuzz that you can pull harmonics out of and whammy into chaos, this one will do it. You can still get somewhat detailed chords but it takes some finesse.

I would hate to have to choose between these two. I think most people would choose the G2, but I might have to go with the P2 since it makes me feel godlike.

:D

11. stereotypy

stereotypy Member

i've planned to also get a klon,.. you think that matches great with a p-2?

12. stratovarius

Send me the Klon and I'll let you know. :D

13. stereotypy

stereotypy Member

14. Lution

Lution Member

15. Turnipfarmer

Turnipfarmer Member

have you tried a tonebender or tonebender clone?

16. GuitarBrent

GuitarBrent Member

The Cornish stuff is not what you are looking for. I'm thinking a Fulltone '70 Fuzz, Analog Man NKT Sunface (exact '67 Fuzz Face circuit), or a KR Gypsy Fuzz. The Throbak fuzzes look very interesting as well. Maybe a DAM Dragon Fly. I've not played the Throbak or DAM stuff first hand though.

17. EXP

EXP Supporting Member

BJF Pink Purple fuzz. very creamy on the neck pickup.:AOK

18. stereotypy

stereotypy Member

thanks.. i will check out the things today... but the throbak and dam dragon fly was not really for me. though i hoped from the description that the dragon fly would be great, but the sopund was a bit tinny... to me.