A different kind of cab question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jumpchamp, Feb 17, 2012.

1. jumpchamp

jumpchamp Member

i'd like to get a very versatile speaker cab. and what i mean by that is something that i can run the following through and have it all sound 'reasonable':

electric guitar (vox night train) - pedals (pogs, synths, octave downs, etc)
    acoustic
    bass
    synths/keys

this is primarily going to be for recording. 'normal' guitar parts would likely go through a typical guitar cab/speaker. but i'd like something that would work well for the atypical guitar sounds, like the pogs and synths, etc.

my initial thoughts are a 2x10 bass cab, or a PA cab.

anyone do anything similar? speaker suggestions? i'd like to keep it as simple and small as possible.

2. SteveO

SteveO Member

Either a monitor or PA cab will be your best bet, but any dirty (or even slightly crunchy) guitars going through it will sound buzzy and harsh unless you also run a cab emulator. For recording, I typically use a mike on my acoustic, and run my bass and keyboards directly into my interface.

3. jumpchamp

jumpchamp Member

that's what i'm thinking steve. i'll almost certainly have a direct line running to the interface, but i like mixing in mic'd sounds as well.

4. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune Member

Not an easy order to fill.

I could see a cab that could do bass, keyboards, and acoustic guitar.

And I could see another, different cab that could do bass and electric guitar.

But, in the midrange and treble regions, the speaker characteristics that are desirable for electric guitar are undesirable for acoustic guitar and keyboards, and will work for some bass guitar applications but not for others.

Imo, ime, ymmv, etc.

5. eliot1025

eliot1025 Supporting Member

+1. This has been my experience, too. Listen to the Duke-ster.

6. amphog

amphog Silver Supporting Member

Get a Mesa Theile cab loaded with a EV-12l. If you need more high end, add a tweeter that you can turn down or switch off, and put it in a separate box.