1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

A different method of getting 12-string tones from a 6-string

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tjs, May 24, 2011.

1. tjs

tjs Senior Member

OK, so the method most people use is to get a polyphonic octave pedal (POG or the like), set it for an octave up, and play normally. Has anyone tried the opposite approach - set the pedal for an octave down and play with a capo at the 12th fret?

Pitch shifting always sounds more natural to me going down rather than up. I'm wondering if this approach might produce a more natural-sounding result than the octave up which often sounds "organ-y" and artificial. Has anyone tried this (or would anyone with such a pedal be willing to give it a try and report back)?

2. paaes335

paaes335 Member

The discontinued Fender VG Strat has a 12 string setting. I tried one out at my local GC and was amazed at how close it got to the Ric 12 sound.

3. Wes Mantooth

Wes Mantooth Member

No experience with your suggested method, but I'd be interested to hear it!

4. SackvilleDan

SackvilleDan Member

I'll try this when I go home tonight and let you know!

5. tjs

tjs Senior Member

Thanks! I'm looking forward to hearing how it worked out.

In theory, this approach should have a lot going for it. In addition to downshifted octaves sounding more natural than upshifted octaves, it's also possible that using downshifting rather than upshifting may produce less perceivable latency.

On the other hand, using my suggested method will mean that the lower notes (which are generally louder with a real 12-string) will be the artificial ones. So if it becomes necessary to bring them lower in the mix (to accentuate the dry signal and hide the artificiality of the wet signal), you'll end up with more upper octave than lower in the overall sound. Which may or may not work. Still worth trying, though.

6. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

Interesting idea. I guess octave up sometimes sounds thin maybe? I think the pog sounds pretty good either way. The things I would say are: 1) it might be hard to play everything you want above the 12th fret with such small spaces. 2) You will have increased tone with increased string length.