• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

a dissenting view on david gilmour that arose out of learning about 'Shine On'

Status
Not open for further replies.

broly

loser
Silver Supporting Member
ok,

i'm not here to say david gilmour isn't one of the "greatest of all time".

i'm not saying that some of his solos aren't memorable and/or worthy of being enshrined in the annals of rock and roll.

in fact, my spite for david gilmour is caused by exactly this.

i just have not been able to let it go that shine on you crazy diamond (part vi) was recorded on a pedal steel guitar.

this is probably my one of my favourite guitar solos of all time and when i began learning it, i saw '27' on some of the strings.

so then i asked myself 'what guitar has 27 frets? what the hell?'

then i saw that piece of crap and thought it was a cruel joke.

i remain as bitter about gilmour's choice to record this solo on that POS "guitar" as the day i first learned this.

i also believe that a heralded guitarist like david gilmour could have *easily* recorded this solo on a 'regular' guitar.

the fact that he did not bothers me.

am i in the minority for feeling this way? i know "david gilmour doesn't care about what you feel" bla bla bla.

i'm just saying it is one of those moments where i felt like everything in the world was a lie, and just wanted to know what others think (lol).

GulfportBound

i just have not been able to let it go that shine on you crazy diamond (part vi) was recorded on a pedal steel guitar.

this is probably my one of my favourite guitar solos of all time and when i began learning it, i saw '27' on some of the strings.

so then i asked myself 'what guitar has 27 frets? what the hell?'

then i saw that piece of crap and thought it was a cruel joke.

i remain as bitter about gilmour's choice to record this solo on that POS "guitar" as the day i first learned this.

i also believe that a heralded guitarist like david gilmour could have *easily* recorded this solo on a 'regular' guitar.

the fact that he did not bothers me.

taez555

Gilmore was known to play steel, and Pink Floyd was famous for doing all sorts of things in the studio. Plus, I don't remember Gilmore ever claiming it was recorded on an electric guitar.

If you thought it was an electric guitar, that's on you. No one was lying to you.

broly

loser
Silver Supporting Member
Really? This bother you? Why? That just seems really bizarre to me.
because i want to play it, and i don't think playing pedal steel versus 'regular' guitar is the same thing.

maybe someone who has played pedal steel will disagree, but it doesn't seem to be the same at all to me.

he could have easily played it on a regular guitar. he played the time solo on one, did he not?

similar emotion if you ask me. it's just disappointing because it's one of the compositions i looked forward to learning the most.

it sounds simple but it's so loaded with bends that it is one i wanted to 'feel' if you will.

A-Bone

Montonero, MOY, Multitudes
Platinum Supporting Member
because i want to play it, and i don't think playing pedal steel versus 'regular' guitar is the same thing.

maybe someone who has played pedal steel will disagree, but it doesn't seem to be the same at all to me.
Pedal steel is a different instrument -- like mandolin, banjo or something.

You can always work up an arrangement of that part for guitar.

rednoise

he could have easily played it on a regular guitar. he played the time solo on one, did he not?

similar emotion if you ask me. it's just disappointing because it's one of the compositions i looked forward to learning the most.

it sounds simple but it's so loaded with bends that it is one i wanted to 'feel' if you will.
Nobody has ever claimed guitar and pedal steel guitar is the same thing. Where did you get that idea?

If you want to play it in six-string, go ahead and adapt it as best you can. No one will be disappointed.

broly

loser
Silver Supporting Member
am i alone in thinking part vi is one of pink floyd's most iconic 'solos'?

it's my favourite.

am i alone in thinking shine on you crazy diamond is one of their most iconic songs, especially given both the content and timing of the song?

it just feels wrong. whatever, i guess i'm on my own on this.

@taez555
Should we blow the whistle on The Edge for playing steel guitar on "Surrender?"
not the same thing. if something on joshua tree used pedal steel, then i'd agree.

seconds is the best song on that album, by the way.

broly

loser
Silver Supporting Member
how dare i question the decision of one of "the greats"

i should merely indulge/leech.

i should not question why he chose to play a memorable composition on the instrument his adherents eagerly remind me he has "mastered", or feel ill will that i can't play it on that instrument.

broly

loser
Silver Supporting Member
do most of you just jump right into "making music" as soon as you could?

like, did you practice "just enough" so you could make your own sounds?

the reactions i'm getting here are almost frightening.

most pianists will learn a bunch of a catalogue before they play anything original.

it seems for guitar people spend the minimum amount of time covering The Canon and hop right into "making music" as soon as they can.

edit: the fact you cannot even see my point of view strongly suggests you are the type that do exactly what i'm asking. which is sad. but that's your choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom