A Fairly Particular Overdrive Decision...

Ryan Swanson

GAS has gotten the best of me (though it's not entirely irrational). However, there's some insight that I could be provided with that could make my decision easier- I'm looking for a new (or, rather, additional) drive pedal.

My current overdrive setup is a Bondi Sick As running into a Paul C Timmy, which go into my Blackface-style amp. Now, I'm looking for an OD that can cover a decent amount of gain, but will not add too much sag to my sound when combined with what I already have. The Timmy thickens up the tone plenty, and the Sick As can pump plenty of upper mids into my sound (By themselves, IMO, the Timmy sounds best with my Strat, and the Sick As is best with my Lea Paul). Really, I need something that plays well with either of these pedals- I know that many are great with the Timmy, but I'm not looking for something that has awfully accentuated mids to begin with. I would ideally like something that is rich in harmonic content, can stand alone in certain occasions, but is capable of adding extra gain or light-moderate compression when stacked.

My amp has tons of headroom, and also has additional mid-boost and negative feedback defeat knobs, making it somewhat more versatile than other blackfaces I've played through.

I've got a few considerations going, but I haven't been able to try most of them out and thus do not have as much of an idea as I'd like. These include the Greer Lightspeed, Barber Gain Changer, Lovepedal Eternity Burst, and a Red Snapper. What do you think? Any suggestions? What else should I look in to? Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Ryan

btjguitarman

Silver Supporting Member
The Lightspeed is suuuuuuper low gain. I love mine for what it is and it stacks really well, but there's very little gain on tap. Maybe check out the Greer southland... more gain but a very flat eq and sounds real good.

dpgreek

The GC with Bondi was a fantastic combo when I had it years back. I recently just bought a sick as again And im in the same boat. Im trying to decide on another low gainer to stack with. Good luck.

Ryan Swanson

The GC with Bondi was a fantastic combo when I had it years back. I recently just bought a sick as again And im in the same boat. Im trying to decide on another low gainer to stack with. Good luck.

How did you use the two together? GC before or after Sick As? Solo boost or "on all the time for higher gain sounds?" It's also appealing to me due to its lower price tag than the others.

OverDrivenGtr

Gold Supporting Member
Gain Changer out of the ones you listed. Lightspeed would prob be to low gain for you, Eternity has a ton of mids, Red Snapper is very uncompressed and transparent like the Timmy you already have.

Ever considered a Prince of Tone?

Ryan Swanson

Gain Changer out of the ones you listed. Lightspeed would prob be to low gain for you, Eternity has a ton of mids, Red Snapper is very uncompressed and transparent like the Timmy you already have.

Ever considered a Prince of Tone?

I have- in fact, I recently joined the waiting list for the King. However, with 16 months approx. ahead of me, I have plenty of time to add to my sound until I can see how the KOT shakes things up.

jlectka

Silver Supporting Member
The gain changer is one of my favorites but you might consider a Greer Special Request. I use it before a couple ods as a boost that adds a nice sparkle and clarity and open feeling. On it's own it adds a lot of depth and sparkle to a clean tone without adding any mids that I can detect. Great pedal for me and a beautiful boost for my plexi drive.

Ryan Swanson

Leaning towards Gain changer as of now, but I've just seen that Barber is releasing the GCX soon- so I might wait for that. I might also go for a secondhand Spaceman atlas iii unless someone can talk me out of it.

mdmack

I would throw a Hotcake and a RAT in the mix as well. Both boxes have a wild amount of gain range, typically play nice with others, and are both reasonabily priced. I am a HUGE Lightspeed fan, but it is pretty low gain, certainly for a super clean amp.

urQuill

g.f.a.
Silver Supporting Member
Leaning towards Gain changer as of now, but I've just seen that Barber is releasing the GCX soon- so I might wait for that. I might also go for a secondhand Spaceman atlas iii unless someone can talk me out of it.

I'm hoping to try the GCx myself, but they are only making a very, very few and everyone is talking about them ... best of luck! Apparently there are a few of Barber's BUSS overdrives left for sale, that one might be good ...

I won't discourage anyone from trying a Spaceman Atlas III, but you won't get much gain out of it - though into a Blackface-style amp, it will push that first gain stage beautifully and add very nice sweetness, as harmonics I suppose. It gives the feel and sustain of overdrive but sounds very clear. I'm not sure how it works, I only know I really love mine.

Have you considered a fuzz? At lower gain levels a lot of fuzzes are low-gain OD-like, and opened up a fuzz might give you some nice contrast with what you already have. Don't mean to state the obvious!

Ryan Swanson

I'm hoping to try the GCx myself, but they are only making a very, very few and everyone is talking about them ... best of luck! Apparently there are a few of Barber's BUSS overdrives left for sale, that one might be good ...

I won't discourage anyone from trying a Spaceman Atlas III, but you won't get much gain out of it - though into a Blackface-style amp, it will push that first gain stage beautifully and add very nice sweetness, as harmonics I suppose. It gives the feel and sustain of overdrive but sounds very clear. I'm not sure how it works, I only know I really love mine.

Have you considered a fuzz? At lower gain levels a lot of fuzzes are low-gain OD-like, and opened up a fuzz might give you some nice contrast with what you already have. Don't mean to state the obvious!

I currently own a Zvex Fuzz Factory Handpainted, and it's very good at what it does- although it isn't exactly "low-Gain." I considered getting a low-Gain germanium Analogman Fuzz, but never quite pulled the trigger. I know vertex has that germanium/ts dynamic distortion, but they're... you know... vertex. Morgan has also got some stuff worthy of checking out IMO.

chillybilly

I already had a Timmy and just added an Archer Ikon (the gold one). Both do very well on their own but are an excellent combination. Whisper it: I'm using the Archer more than the Timmy at present.

dshobe

Rocky Mountain Way By The Atlantic
Gold Supporting Member
I've really enjoyed stacking a Snouse Black Box 2 with a Timmy, or on its own. Great open tone with a wide gain range.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom