A fellow TGP'er stuck me with a bad guitar? But he hasn't posted here for 6+ months

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJones

Yea, go to RadioShack and buy a $10 soldering iron and $3 wire. There's not much of a learning curve and it will save you $$$ in the future

bob-i

Jeez, all this over a bad $2 jack.

Clean the jack, bend it if necessary, replace it if necessary. This is routine stuff.

PatrickE_FenderADV

Supporting Member

Clean the jack, bend it if necessary, replace it if necessary. This is routine stuff.
It really isn't the money... It's the principle of him selling something that doesn't work and saying "you shook hands" so the deal is done.

I am going to let this go and just repair it. He is a loser and I made the mistake of trusting him. At the end of the day, this douche ruined it for the rest of the folks that I may or could do business with down the road... My trust level is way down now.

brianr0131

It really isn't the money... It's the principle of him selling something that doesn't work and saying "you shook hands" so the deal is done.

I am going to let this go and just repair it. He is a loser and I made the mistake of trusting him. At the end of the day, this douche ruined it for the rest of the folks that I may or could do business with down the road... My trust level is way down now.
I agree he's a douche, but the risk could have been avoided with an ounce of due diligence.

otaypanky

Gold Supporting Member
Replacing an OUTPUT jack is pretty simple, if that's what it is. Don't you have a friend who solders? Even if not, shouldn't cost much.

Yea, go to RadioShack and buy a $10 soldering iron and $3 wire. There's not much of a learning curve and it will save you $$$ in the future
You've learned what you need to know about the guy you traded with and what not to do on future deals. Now you need to learn to solder and do basic maintenance and repairs on your gear. Google up soldering technique and grab a jack. You'll have fun and find it's easy like the other guys said ~

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
You really need to learn to do this type of simple maintenance.

It's ten minutes of work and a $5 part.

It's entirely possible the guy didn't know the guitar had a bad jack.

You're over-reacting.

gtrdave

You really need to learn to do this type of simple maintenance.

It's ten minutes of work and a $5 part.

It's entirely possible the guy didn't know the guitar had a bad jack.

You're over-reacting.
+1

If you lived closer I'd solder it for you for free. Problem solved. Maybe you have a friend who will do the same for you.

trower

[geer/peyj] hubris confusion paralysis by analysis
Silver Supporting Member
Or you could just knock him out?
I like this solution, the guys a sack!...Then fix the jack, very simple stuff, Heck if I handed you that guitar, I'd come back with a soldering iron and a sixpac for your troubles. Zero tollerance like DGT sez...

bkatx

I'm with you FenderBigot...frankly I'm surprised at the number of people telling you "lesson learned". I don't, for one second, blame the victim for being scammed. And the seller is certainly a scumbag.

At the very least if seller was honorable I'd expect them to void the trade, fix the bad jack (it's his problem after all, certainly NOT yours) and then redo the trade if you still wanted the guitar.

astainback

It is possible that just the nut is loose.
He might think you are the crazy one.
There are quite a few people from Tampa on here I am sure.
Just ask for a little help and you will be happy.
Seriously though, the guy might think you are crazy.
I wouldn't sweat it.

You have every right to be pissed.

It's not the point of what the repair issue is, it is the response from the seller that "it's your problem now".

I would be livid, and I can solder.

If I were in FL, I would fix it up for ya. Sounds like the jack, or maybe a bad switch. Either way the guy is a loser.

loudboy

TGP Admins will take care of the guy here. To knowingly give you something that doesn't work is a total dick move.

You should learn how to fix a jack, not that it's germane to this conversation.

Then, you'll have learned 3 things! <g>

scottywompas

I worked out a flat trade (no cash exchanged) through CL and just discovered the guy is also a long time TGP'er that I thought was cool. Well two days ago we traded guitars and I handed him a perfectly good guitar and he gave me one that doesn't work.

His answer... "You shook hands and had the chance to plug it in before the deal was finalized, so sorry." Really?

Sorry. If you didn't take the opportunity to go over it, plug it in, and check it out first, you're loss. He's kind of a douche for trying to sell a crappy guitar without discosing anything but still, I would never hand the cash, guitar,whatever until I was certain the piece I was getting was in working order.

Scott

I'm with you FenderBigot...frankly I'm surprised at the number of people telling you "lesson learned". I don't, for one second, blame the victim for being scammed.
I gotta agree with this. While the OP could have saved himself some grief by testing the guitar at the time of the trade, the seller apparently never disclosed the jack problem and then told the OP to take a hike when he noticed the problem later. That's just a sh*tty way to do business. Even if the previous owner didn't have that problem (which I highly doubt), I would have expected him to offer to help just to make things right.

Average Joe

I'm with you FenderBigot...frankly I'm surprised at the number of people telling you "lesson learned". I don't, for one second, blame the victim for being scammed. And the seller is certainly a scumbag.

At the very least if seller was honorable I'd expect them to void the trade, fix the bad jack (it's his problem after all, certainly NOT yours) and then redo the trade if you still wanted the guitar.
A +1 for this. It's common courtesy to disclose any and all issues. Of course buyer should beware and in that way it is a matter of "lesson learned", but it doesn't alter the fact that the fault is with the scammer not the scammed

R3deemed

Yeah, what the guy did sucked [evidently], but chalk it up to a lesson learned and move on.

I wouldn't expect TGP mods to do anything as the deal had nothing to do with the site other than both of you being members here.

The Kid

Replacing an OUTPUT jack is pretty simple, if that's what it is. Don't you have a friend who solders? Even if not, shouldn't cost much.
indeed.

I'll solder it for $149.00.

Seriously though... $125.00

The guy that traded the broken guitar was a jerk the way he handled it.
Yes, the OP has every right to be irritated, and yes, the OP is overreacting.

That said, if your tech quoted you $150 for replacing a jack, he's an even bigger ass than the guy you traded guitars with.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.