A few demo Commercial QuickTime movies and MP3

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by Greg V., Feb 24, 2009.

1. Greg V.

Greg V. Member

Hey Folks,

So I've been getting into demo writing for commercial ads and TV show background music ala Travel Channel, HGTV etc... I've posted QuickTime movie samples and an MP3 below. Years ago I played on the soundtracks for a few TV series including Max Headroom and several seasons of Bay Watch. From doing those series I learned to really dig the marriage of "visual - dialog - sound" and how wonderful the results can be when everything lines up for a larger impact of ones senses. I'm playing everything here and it's a lonely job! Also these are strictly demos, done for fun only.

RUBY SKY MP3
    RUBY SKY: This is something along the lines of the Travel Channel. Lots of Lap Steel with reverse delay, Martin D18-GE acoustic, Hamer Talladega for electric harmonics and pseudo-loop intro done with reverse delay.

VW CAR DEMO MOVIE
    VW CAR demo: My first keyboard recording, piano and string section, Telecaster tremolo, Martin D18-GE.

HEINEKEN BEER DEMO MOVIE
    HEINEKEN BEER demo: This one has only two instruments. The Hamer Talladega represents the male actor and the Jennifer Aniston part is played by my TEO Mando guitar. No verbal dialog but I wanted my music to act as the conversation between them. For example, when the guy approaches Jennifer I had the guitar do an ascending line following his walk. When she raises her eyebrows looking toward the top shelf I wanted the Mando Guitar to express her feelings, also during several other facial expressions of hers.

BMW CAR DEMO MOVIE
    BMW CAR demo: Various guitars here, wah-wah Tele, Ebow Gibson SG, Hamer Talladega arpeggio intro guitar.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  2. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place...

Greg V...

I always thought your album was great at evoking images now I see you're just as skilled at reinforcing and adding to them!

What amp(s) btw?

3. Greg V.

Greg V. Member

Thanks Grant! I always try to write with an image or visual for guidance, it's how I've always been....

For amps, RUBY SKY is all DI'd using DigiDesign Eleven amp software, except the wah-harmonics and reverse-loop guitar is my guitar>pedalboard DI'd into my ProTools 003 no amp software was used. I normally use amps but I did this late at night while my wife was sleeping.

The other tunes are mostly the Swart AST for 85% of the guitars and my '66 Princeton Reverb for the balance of guitars.

Come on back to Nashville for another visit, the Tap Room awaits!

4. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place...

Interesting Greg...how do you find Eleven compared to say a POD. I often need to do stuff while my better half is working from home/sleeping.

LOVE to come back to Nashville...has The Jayco Brothers sticker survived in the Tap Room men's bathroom? :)

5. Greg V.

Greg V. Member

Not sure on the sticker! I think Eleven is pretty cool, it "feels" good to play and works easily in a mix. However it only has amp sounds, no effects. The Pods and Line6 software Gear Box "Gold Bundle" offer a lot more amp models plus some cool effects. I have the "Gold Bundle" and it's a lot of fun, esp since you can record direct and dry but can always alter the tone amp/effects to experiment with.

Sometimes, it's good to have "smaller" tones, esp so they can cut through dense mixes. So using amp models and/or subtractive EQ can be a friend for certain sounds/approaches. I like having a box of sonic tools to work with.

6. deepbluez

deepbluez Member

Great playing throughout...so who'd have guessed that?!

Really dug the VW spot - tidy and seamless "marriage" there, for me anyway. Appreciate the post!

7. ed_v

ed_v Member

Great stuff as always Greg. Glad you are staying busy.

Ed

8. jb70

jb70 Supporting Member

really great, tasty stuff greg!

jack

9. Woodyworld

Woodyworld Member

+ 1

Excellent

10. cdaloia

cdaloia Member

Nice Greg.....3 t's in action

Chuck

11. jimfog

jimfog Senior Member

Great stuff, Greg....as always.

Although, you set yourself a tough task with that VW ad........the visuals and "Pink Moon" are just a PERFECT match. One of the best commercials, ever.

12. TMock

TMock Supporting Member

+1000

You beat me to it, Realfi. I have had the same thoughts about Greg's CD. Every time I put it on, movies start playing in my head, which is great at home, but a little dangerous when I'm walking around with my iPod. :p

Keep up the good work, Greg!

Travis.

13. Greg V.

Greg V. Member

Thanks to everyone for the good words and taking the time to listen!

Hey Jim, you're right, "Pink Moon" is a great match for the VW ad. My wife loves that Nick Drake song! He was such a cool artist....

14. scottl

scottl Member

Fantastic stuff Greg!

15. LavaMan

LavaMan Member

Really dug the wah on the BMW commercial!

16. mowatsmith

mowatsmith Member

Biertje! The Heineken one was great, too!

17. dividedsky

dividedsky Supporting Member

Heineken one is my favorite by far. Really great tones on that. You definitely have a knack for conveying images through music.

18. TRawker

TRawker Member

Sounds great bro! Love that wah on the BMW commercial...very nauce!

-Tyler Jewell

19. TaronKeim

TaronKeim Member

Great stuff Greg, Ruby Sky and the VW commercial were standouts. The tremolo guitar on the VW commercial especially seemed suiting to the mood, and the echo'd piano was a great touch. Fantastic.

Really dug the world/country vibe of Ruby Sky, the lapsteel with the drum sample were a very complimentary contrast. Definately nails that adventure/travel vibe.

_TJK*

20. hdiddy

hdiddy Supporting Member

what mic are using for the acoustic