A Few Good Words About Analogman-modded Delays...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Wooley, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Wooley

Wooley Member

I just wanted to drop in and comment on something with regard to Mike and his mods.

Delay is my favorite effect after gain, and is probably more integral to my sound than gain (in fact, it definitely is) or anything else.

I have lots of them, but I wanted to come in here today to say that my top three Delays, and the only ones I actually use, at home, recording, and live, ARE ALL ANALOGMAN-MODDED PEDALS.

My primary delay is the AM-triple-modded EH Deluxe Memory man. This is an absolutely beautiful sounding piece of equipment. I can't say enough good things about it, and so I won't say much more, just beautiful, clean, sweet analog delay with long (for me) delay times, no distortion, and nice warbly modulation. This thing can really replace chorus and vibe, IMO, and it was commented once live by another guitarist that he thought I was using a Chorus pedal, when all I had was this baby.

The AM-modded DD-3 is probably the most PRACTICALi pedal I own. It is small, inexpensive, and incredibly versatile. It gives perfect repeating digital delays with digital delay times and repeats. It gives a nice, dark analog-sounding delay and echo with the high-cut mod switch engaged all the way. And it gives something nice in between with the switch in the middle, which we used in my band for VOCALS. Yes, when I switched to the DMM, my singer started using this, in line, for adding echoes in certain songs.

Finally, the AR20DL delay is a really nice plug and play true-analog deal. It is the darkest of the three, by far, with a haunting low-fi sound, has a very small footprint, and is rather inexpensive for a true analog delay. This one gives me the most "ghostly" echoes of all three, and, while I use this one less live, I tend to use it a lot when recording solos.

With these three, I cannot imagine that I would ever buy another delay. In all honesty, I probably don't need all three of them, but I am not the kind of person that gets rid of good pedals, even if I am not using them.

But I just wanted to put it out there, that I think these pedals, and obviously Mike's work on them, are just about the best things going right now, and deserve a little praise.

2. hbentley

hbentley Member

i agree. i have an analogman DMM and an AR20XL.... both are fantastic.

3. RickB

RickB Member

I am a huge fan of my AR20DL. The repeats just float off. It is one of those additive pedals that once you use it, you can't stop.

4. mike6m

mike6m Member

My first Analogman pedal was my SS Comp. That quickly became a mainstay on my board and has been around for years. Shortly after, my TS-9 got the AM upgrade, and has remained there since. This year, I picked up a Beano boost and followed that up with a Sun Face. I will be sending my EH DMM up to him soon.

5. frmorales52

frmorales52 Member

I've got an early, Japanese DD-3 that I sent to mike. It's far more practical than my MoogerFooger delay. Quieter too.

6. erksin

erksin Member

The AR20DL is the best short delay I've ever played by a long stretch - the repeats are clear but still warm, it has a ton of headroom, and the buffer is excellent. For $150 its one of the best pedal bargains out there IMO. BIG fan!!!

7. Lolaviola

Lolaviola Supporting Member

AR20XL ended my delay quest. All the comments above I find true for me too. The delay is like an instrument in itself.

8. blackblack

blackblack Member

The AR20DL is truly remarkable. I've used an old DM2 for many years; the AR20DL has the same general character but way more useful controls and way less noise. For setting the unit right on the brink of runaway regeneration without losing control, this delay is without comparison.

Mike has done a wonderful thing here. He could have held out and produced an obscenely expensive new delay, but instead he found an opportunity to provide an excellent product at a very modest price and chose that.

Cheers for the Analogman!

9. Wooley

Wooley Member

Exactly.
    It's a workingman's delay for real musicians. It won't make the cork-sniffers happy, 'cause they listen with their eyes and wallets, but for people who use their hands and ears, the AR20DL and XL are cornerstone-type pedals.

10. Wooley

Wooley Member

11. johnrambo

johnrambo Member

i really need to get my DD-3 modified

12. High Voltage

High Voltage Member

Is there a difference in the sound of the normal and the xl delay? I have the normal one and have always been curious about the xl version.