A few ideas on using Jamup in a live rig

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by MKB, Feb 27, 2014.

1. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

Hi all, in the last few weeks I have been working on developing an iPad 2 and Jamup/Bias into a live rig. I found a few things that might help you in your efforts. Some of these items have been discussed before, but hopefully this info is distilled down a bit.

1) I found that the digital interfaces seem to have a bit more latency than the headphone input interfaces. At least it seems noticeably so. When I get a chance I plan to measure the latency and will post it here.

2) I have tried several headphone jack interfaces, and they all seem to have the same issue; a somewhat high noise level that is made worse by high gain or boost/distortion pedals. The noise levels between the passive and active headphone input devices are almost identical, with the active ones being a bit lower. It is no wonder all the modeling apps have noise gates. However, the active headphone interfaces seem to produce better guitar tone than the passive cables.

IMHO the noise level of the active headphone input devices, if you add a noise gate to your patch and adjust it properly, is only a problem if you turn your guitar volume very low to get clean tones with a high gain patch. Other than that, it seems to work well, and what residual noise you have left is lost in a live performance mix.

For this reason, even though I have a digital interface, I am using a iRig Stomp headphone input device for live use. Its form factor is perfect, it provides very good basic guitar tone, and has negligible latency (no need to turn on the low latency setting). The noise level has not proven to be an issue in live performance, if noise gates are used and carefully adjusted.

3) I have a Tascam iUR2 digital interface, it has a 30 pin connector. It performed terribly in the iPad 2, in that it used up too much resources. If a midi pedal with a variable continuous controller was used with it, Jamup became completely unstable.

However, the iUR2 also has a USB port, and is class compliant. When it is plugged into the same iPad 2 through USB, a powered USB hub, and an Apple camera interface, the resource issue immediately went away and the unit worked great. The iUR2's midi port did not function in USB mode however.

4) I found that a very workable setup, if you have a class compliant USB audio device and a class compliant USB midi cable, is to plug both into a powered USB hub and that into a Apple camera adapter. This allowed an external midi footswitch to control the patches and effects in Jamup, and gives you a nice clean signal through the digital audio interface. It seems to work well with no glitches or resource issues. The units I used was the Tascam iUR2 in PC mode, a Edirol UM2-EX with Advanced Driver set to Off, and a Belkin F4U040 powered USB hub.

5) You can use a midi footswitch through a midi/USB cable and camera adapter to switch patches and effects in Jamup, but your footswitch must output CC messages to turn effects on and off. The Behringer FCB1010 would work well for this.

6) If you have an older footswitch that only outputs PC commands, and it can output from PC command 32 and higher, you can use a nifty app from Audeoinc called Midibridge to translate these PC commands to CC commands. This has allowed me to use my old Peavey PFC10 footswitch to switch effects in Jamup, as well as adding two CC pedals.

Jamup uses PC commands 31 and lower to select patches, and since Jamup does not filter by midi channel, you can't use those commands with Midibridge.

Hope these findings can help you with your efforts.

2. ridethatbike

ridethatbike Supporting Member

Thanks for your write-up! I'm just diving into an ipad air/sonic port with Jamup and Bias and trying to tweak the best sounds out. It's been a pleasant experience so far...

3. jammybastard

jammybastard "I'm losing my edge, but I was there..."

Great post.
    This is the kind of info TGP readers need.

4. Elric

Elric Supporting Member

Thanks for the write up, good post.

You may want to mention what kind of tones you're going for... if you play with a significant amount of gain your comments wrt interfaces do not match my experience. The iDevice headphone jack interfaces have noise levels and feedback problems that are nowhere near worth any latency difference for me, even for practice much less a live scenario. I returned three of these things before getting a lightning connector device. FWIW, I don't notice latency either. But I may just have adjusted to it, I dunno. I know some people are more sensitive than others.

Also, depending on the interface, you probably have a much better signal at the output for driving downstream gear than the iDevice headphone out.

Anyway, that's my experience but I probably use too much gain. LOL.

5. turbolx5oh

turbolx5oh Member

I'm looking at getting a new iPad air. Would a 16gb wifi be enough storage for a guitar rig setup?

6. CharlyG

CharlyG Play It Forward

I went with an iPad mini as I wanted the memory vs the speedor screen resolution. It is working fine so far, and I am just getting off the pc now to go run bias and the 11R into the aux in of my Amplifi. See ya in a bit!