A few questions about the RAGIN CAJUN

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by foo_3001, Oct 18, 2008.

1. foo_3001

foo_3001 Member

So, after weeks of googling speakers, I´m getting getting really condused with all the options..

I´m still looking for a speaker to match a Weber 10F150T in my SF Vibrolux.

Seems like lots of people like the Ragin Cajun, and it really is a tempting speaker, being cheap and easily available over here in Europe.

But how is it? I´d like some experience from You guys who have actually used it.

How are the highs / mids / lows? Emphasis on any of those -could it be described as "bright" / "middy" / "bassy"?

How is it with an OD / Dist pedal?

Does it fit ok in a Vibrolux?

How does it compare to a Jensen-y speaker such as the Weber?

Oh and yes, I´ve been to the Emi site and listened to the samples - they were good but they really only define the differences between the emi speakers - it´s hard to tell the real tone from the clips.

Really appreciate Your input.

2. hism-scism

hism-scism Member

I had the Ragin Cajuns in my 1970 Super Reverb and liked them a lot. They're very loud and don't really break up very much (at least they didn't in my Super). Also, they're heavy, which wasn't a consideration for me, but something to be aware of. I play loudly, and appreciated the fact that they held together well with the amp cranked. I agree with bsuite's comparison to the EVs with regard to headroom, but thought they weren't nearly as hi-fi as the EVs. They're pretty efficient speakers, so if you're looking for volume , they're great, but definitely not the right choice for early warm breakup. Having said all that, I really did like them in my Super Reverb. Lots of nice solid bottom without being muddy, and as bsuite stated, sound really nice with some overdrive. Also, they're really balanced across the whole spectrum sonically - nice highs, mids, and lows, but never spikey or muddy.

3. Seegs

Seegs Member

I had one paired with a couple of Weber 12's in my Fargen...a 12F150 and a 12F125 and it was a nice match...overdrives creamy smooth but I liked the Copperhead better for cleans paired with those other speakers...

to sum it up either one is a good choice but IME the CH is better clean and the RC better overdriven...

Chow,
    Seegs

4. foo_3001

foo_3001 Member

Thank You so much for Your opinions!

Seems like the Ragin Cajun is the right speaker for the amp - or so I´ve been thinking before I caught my eye on the Legend 105..

The L105 has a pretty similar EQ-curve as the RC (the treble peak being a bit lower than in the RC) and it´s been praised aswell.. The sound clips also sound nice..

How do the RC and Legend compare?

5. Bob Arbogast

Bob Arbogast Supporting Member

The Ragin Cajun is clearer in the mids. To my ears, the upper mids of the Legend 105 are rather smeared and indistinct.

Bob Arbogast