A few recording questions...

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by steven.rogers, Aug 3, 2006.

1. steven.rogers

steven.rogers Supporting Member

I've been wanting to record some stuff lately, but I just can't deal with going line in to the soundcard anymore - it sounds terrible. Also, I got a new amp recently (Super Reverb RI) and I wouldn't be able to record using line in anyway. I love the sound of the amp, and paired with my American Deluxe Strat, it sounds awesome. So I want to make the best of it. I would be doing a lot of stuff, but I would also do some blues and rock as well, such as SRV, Jeff Beck, Eric Johnson, etc. Maybe even some Iron Maiden-esque stuff with heavier distortion. I thought about picking up a good mic and a few OD pedals and working with that (right now I have no effects at all). I also considered getting a PODxt Live, because I really like the USB recording idea and I've heard some great songs done with it. But I think I've ruled that out because I probably wouldn't use half the effects on it - it'd be a waste of money to get it just because of its recording capabilities. So, do you think I'd be okay with a good mic (looking at the Sennheiser e609) and some analog effects?

Thanks for any help.

2. steven.rogers

steven.rogers Supporting Member

I probably will get two mics eventually. But all things aside and bringing up a new question, does anyone have any experience with a FireBox? I've been thinking about getting one to take care of the preamp, as I've heard many good things about them.

http://www.presonus.com/firebox.html

3. Sub-D

Sub-D Guest

Good dependable little box, good pre-s for the money, decent converter,
    all in all for the money hard to beat.......

4. scottlr

scottlr Member

FWIW, I have a 67 Super Reverb, and it sounds great. But lately, I have been using my Vox ToneLab to record, and with it, I can get a damn good Super Reverb sound, plus a lot of other amps. And what I like the most about it, is that it responds to your playing like an amp does. Best $300 I have spent in recent years.

5. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

There are a lot of inexpensive but good sounding units out there. Look around before you get your mind set on one brand or one model of mic pre. I wound up getting a DBX 386 tube preamp / AD convertor and absolutely love it. They run slightly more than the Presonus boxes, but they allow for dual mic'ing, are very flexible, and sound very good.