A few unique Guytron GT-100 F/Vs out there

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jbp, Jan 7, 2008.

1. jbp

jbp Supporting Member

Hey folks-

I'm new to the forum, but have a Q/discussion topic for ya'll.

I bought a Guytron GT-100 F/V last year off eBay (Serial #068) and after talking with the folks at Guytron, it turns out it's a pretty unique animal. The serial number didn't match up with the new model. Evidently, Guy converted a very small handful of the older GT-100s to the new F/V specs (and I mean very small handful).

The only real cosmetic tip-off, besides the serial number being wrong, is that my amp:
    1) doesn't have the dual FX loops (older GT-100) and
    2) doesn't have an FX loop with a pushbutton to select between -3 and +10 dB operation (like the GT-100 F/V)

It's just a plain Jane FX loop with no levels, pushbuttons or anything else. And I still don't know if it's hardwired for -3 or +10.

Kraig (or was it Mick?) at Guytron suggested I throw this out there to see if there are any others with similar amps. Sounds like the records on these converted GT-100s are, uh....a little spotty. ;)

Anyway, I'd love a little history and have many questions in this realm, one being "Are these tonally identical to the new F/Vs?"

Best-
    J.B.

2. johnc

johnc Member

I have a GT-100 that Guy converted to have the F/V functionality. My amp was in Guy's possession during the time when he was designing the Focus and Voicing switches. From what Guy told me, he used my amp as the prototype for what became the F/V amp.

3. cochese

cochese Supporting Member

My GT 100 FV was originally a revision C chassis that was coverted to an X-Mod and then finally Guy converted it to the FV. It's the same amp I used for the sound samples on the Guytron website although it was just an X-mod version at that point. It's probably just like yours in that there is no FV designation on the panel and only one set of efx loops jacks since the second set of holes were used for the FV knobs. My loop is set for low level (or pedal) as Guy said most prefered that setting. The only difference may be that your amp may not have the adjustable bias pot for the EL84's.

This mod was a real time consuming process and I don't think they will do it anymore. I've compared my FV to Jon Herrington's (Steely Dan) current production FV and we couldn't hear a difference. I think the original stock setting on the FV is slightly different that an original GT 100 head.

I used my FV for my recent CD. You can hear clips by just clicking on the link in my signature. The most recent recording I did with it can be heard on my MySpace page http://www.myspace.com/chrisdelis, it's called BB King.

Congrats on buying a great amp.

4. beej

beej Supporting Member

5. jbp

jbp Supporting Member

Beej: Thanks for the contact info for Guy. I had no idea he had a site of his own. I'll shoot him an email and see what that master sayeth.

And Cocheese: i was mistaken about some of the cosmetics of the amp. My amp does have the F/V designation silkscreened on both the front and back. Perhaps the single FX loop is the only obvious external tip-off? But I'm guessing it isn't the old aluminum chassis...it's far heavier than my old Bogner 101B head. (And that's saying something!)

Anyway, thanks for the info everyone...keep it coming if you think of anything else.

Cheers-
    J.B.

6. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

I've yet to see an aluminum chassis Guytron, I think they are steel with a stainless front overlay. I have a pretty early non-FV head. Flying leads, chassis mounted tube sockets all the way round, no separate bias point for El-84 section either, and no X mod. It is a steel chassis, with a shielding plate which closes the component side of the chassis. It IS HEAVY as a pig, no question about that. I still dig it, many years on. Great platform for pedals if you keep the gains fairly low. Still my favorite cleanish of any 100 watt tube amp, personal preference you know.

I still have not run into an FV here in Lost Angeles. I would like to, but I wouldn't take a flier on one.

7. cochese

cochese Supporting Member

The older chassis are steel and the newer FV's are stainless steel. I asked Guy about aluminum which he likes but he said it would not support the weight of those heavy transformers. I'm really sold on the FV version. Herrington also has a second non FV head but that is a different mod than the Xmod but he's not sure exactly what it is. The whole point of the FV was so he wouldn't have to do all those mods. It is really flexible while maintaining the simplicity of finding your sound fast. It's a great amp that is a bit misunderstood.

8. highgeer

highgeer Member

JB,
    All of the FVs have one effects loop. The older ones have two. I know of at least 7 (GT-100s) that were converted to FVs, but some of those went overseas.

Mike

Mark,
    I hope all is well with you and your family. Your GT-100 sounds incredible.

9. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

I do not want to derail the thread, but I am curious about what is going on these days with Guytron. I have always been intrigued by these amps, but it looks like the website has not been updated for a while, and I read that Guy is no longer with the company. What is the current status of the company and their amp line?