A frustration limiting trick..

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Rockledge, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

There is something I do when working on guitars that some of you guys might find helpful.
    Nothing is more frustrating than having to string a guitar up multiple times when working on it. When you try to save the strings without pulling them through the bridge or back ferules they entangle , and that is a pita.

I keep little plastic bags around to put loose parts in so they are separated in drawers. When I take the strings loose on a guitar, I coil them up and stuff them in those little baggies. I do that with 5 strings, the 6th one has nothing to tangle with.
    The string tries to uncoil in the bag which helps it stay on.
    This works particularly well with stop tail pieces.

I changed the pickups out on one of my guitars tonight using this method. I wanted to compare the pickups to the ones I had in it previously, so there is a possibility that after checking them out I would have wanted to swap them back. Saved me a lot of frustration.

I have at times only had short bags, when that is the case I put rubber bands around them to keep the string in.

2. blong

blong Supporting Member

If I am going to save the strings for multiple restrings while testing it, I do one of two things:

1) If the string slides through the tuning post and the bridge won't come off, I have these straps I got from a microscope rep when we bought tons of scopes for our labs that I teach in. The are basically an elastic strap with velcro on either end. I loosen the three low stings and slide them off the neck, then do the same and slide the high strings of the other end of the neck. I run this strap between the strings and the neck, then wrap if over the strings and vecro it to itself. If pulls the strings off and around the back of the neck but keeps 'em sorted out.

2) If the strings come out of the tuning posts like the 70's Fender split shaft tuners, or if the bridge comes off (Les Paul, etc), I do the following: Loosen the strings some, take some velcro I got from Hobby Lobby or the Wal-Mart craft area, and run one piece of the velcro under the strings up against the fingerboard, then lay the other piece of velcro over that to keep the strings in their proper order, loosen 'em and remove whichever end comes out (tuners or bridge) then tape 'em to the back of the guitar.

It is probably a little quicker than wrapping them and bagging them. Try it, and let me know what you think.

Your method seems like it is good one, though. I might try it just to see if I like it better.

Bob

3. Polyester

Polyester Member

I do something like this, but with some bag clips I found at Ikea - basically a couple-inch-long plastic clip. Slide one side under the strings, snap it closed, and loosen them. Keeps them nice and untangled until you're ready to put 'em back. Also makes restringing a snap, since once you get one string back on the rest are all right there and all lined up.

Here's what I use, for a visual. Probably available at any home store for a few bucks:

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70083252/

4. fumbler

fumbler Member

Good ideas, all. I use a popsicle stick under the strings and then put masking tape across the top. I'll do that around the 2nd fret and again around the 14th. Nice and easy.

And I'm VERY happy to see split tuners on a strat, especially if the truss rod adjusts at the butt.

5. dazco

dazco Member

On fenders i put a capo on the first fret and just remove the neck when i want to do work on the electronics. the capo hods the strings in place and even leave a bit of tension on the strings between the capo and tuners so the windings don't come loose.

6. Sensible Musician

Sensible Musician Member

yeah velcro FTW. just the regular pedalboard stuff is fine. put it in place after slacking, but before pulling out of the post

7. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

I use to use food package clips to keep the strings separate.
    The bags take a little longer, but find that they work better.
    I never tried velcro strips though, I have rolls of velcro here I use to make cable stays with, I might try it.

8. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

Thank you for this thread!!!!!

9. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

this trick works with stringing up the first time too. just string it up from the bridge end, line em up and capo them at the first fret, then take your time stringing them up at the headstock end.

10. IndyBlues

IndyBlues Member

I second the capo trick. Quick and easy.
    Mike