A fully-hollow small body guitar for me to gig with. Please help.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by chetchetney, Dec 16, 2009.

1. chetchetney

chetchetney Member

Ok, I have been playing my PRS Custom 22 for years now, and am wanting to change up my arsenal. I'm looking for a fully-hollow electric guitar with a small body. i want the guitar to play and feel just like my PRS or any other small body guitar, but have the sustain and full hollow body I'm craving for in my tone. My favorite guitarists is Trey Anastasio of Phish, and I want a guitar similar to his Languedoc. Also, its crucial that I have unrestricted access to the upper frets, because I know alot of full-hollowbodys dont allow this. Any suggestions?

2. dazco

dazco Member

Ibanez made a great small 335 type called i think the AS50 back in the 80's. You may pay a lot, but they are awesome. About ehe size of a LP but hollow and double cut. Liek a baby 335. Awesome axe. May be wrong about the model# tho.

3. Lance

Lance Member

I don't yet own one of these, but as soon as I sell off one of my teles, I'll get one. Very reasonably priced. I played a couple of similar artist models, and they played and sounded great. Well, the neck pup was a bit too low endy, but I can fix that.

http://www.ibanez.com/HollowBodyGuitars/model-AJD91

4. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

Two options that aren't cheap: Gibson Johnny A, or... the obvious, PRS Hollowbody. Perhaps Soloway makes something that'd work for you too. Okay that's three options. None of which I ever thought I'd recommend to anyone for any purpose... but does seem like those would do what you're looking to do :)

5. chetchetney

chetchetney Member

I know, I have tested all of the Ibanez guitars at my local shop. But honestly playing my PRS for so long, the Ibanez guitars feel like crap and have poor build quality IMHO. When I tried to bend a string, it felt like the string was getting caught on the frets. It was not smooth feeling. But I will keep trying to find an ibanez that feels right

6. Crazyquilt

Crazyquilt Guitar Dad Silver Supporting Member

Eastman El Rey, probably a 3.

They are fully hollow and small. The ER1 is a single pickup, mahogany & spruce (I think?) I've got one. The stock Kent Armstrong is a very nice jazz tone, but I wanted to try a Flltertron, so I popped in a TV Classic. Unfortunately, I cocked up the wiring, and I haven't had the intestinal fortitude to correct the issue. But it plays very well, and sounds lovely.

The ER3 is probably up your alley -- TOM tailpiece (rather than a trapeze) & 2 humbuckers. All maple, all hollow. I bet it would sound very much like what you want. As long as you can stand thin necks, the El Rey's are very good instruments.

Here's a thread with some pictures.

7. dazco

dazco Member

You won't find that with an 80's ibanez like i described ! The build quality on those is top notch unlike todays ibanez. IMO those first Ibanez guitars in the lates 70's early 80's when they started making them to the top of thier game (not like the earlier bolt necks and all that) were better than anything gibson ever made.

8. man_mars

man_mars Member

Why not try the PRS HB since you like the feel of the PRS CU22. It's fully hollow, except for the bridge block

9. D.G.

D.G. Member

If you're willing to go semi-hollow, I'd give the Gibson 339 or 336 a try. OTOH, if you really want hollow body vibe, you're probably not going to find it in a small body guitar.

10. dwoovre

dwoovre Member

I'd recommend checking out a Hamer Newport, if you can find one to play.

11. Mike Potvin

Mike Potvin Maker of sawdust

Last edited: Dec 16, 2009
  12. dantedayjob

dantedayjob Member

Exactly, the body shape is identical to the Cu22, neck profile is PRS wide/fat, the body is about as thick as a Les Paul, they have super tone and a singing sustain... awesome guitars,

13. The Kid

The Kid Member

David Myka Dragonfly

mykaguitars.com

14. OlAndrew

OlAndrew Member

15. Presc

Presc Member

Hamer Newport is a great little full hollow
    the heritage prospect is a downsized es335 with a floating (rather than solid) center block. Might work.

16. Guitartim

Guitartim Member

Johnny A. Signature

CS336

CS356

17. MereImage

MereImage Member

Ummm PRS Hollowbody.

Dave

18. edhamgtr

edhamgtr Member

Sadowsky Semi - just change the pups to a lower wind type.
    Sounds closer to my L5 than a Johnny A, PRS HB/archtop, or any other semi.
    Upper fret access is excellent.
    Seems like the chambered spruce center block does the job of sounding like a carved spruce top. I hated the prototype but when they changed to the chambered spruce center block it was a different guitar.

plus no feedback. priceless.

19. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Johnny A either Sig (around $3500) or Standard (around $2500).