A Genzler Magellan 350 combo and an Acoustic Image DoubleShot combo have a play date!

Khromo

Silver Supporting Member
I thought some of those who are always watching for smaller-and-lighter might find this interesting. A Magellan 350 combo (175 at 8 ohms, one 10" speaker and four 2 3/4" or so paper cone drivers in a line array, 24.5 pounds, $1,200) and an Acoustic Image Clarus SL-R (allegedly 500 watts at 4 ohms) sitting atop a DoubleShot (two 10" drivers and a 5" cone driver). A little under 18 pounds and $1,350 for the whole package.

The AI rig is a lot easier to carry, as the Genzler cab is squarish and awkward. The AI is smaller.

The Genzler is very easy to operate, as in getting a good sound with various instruments. The AI, which I haven't been using as long, seems fussier, especially with electrics.

The Genzler gets fine horizontal dispersion due to the line array and a healthy bottom end (with a four string bass) due to the larger cabinet and great overall design. The AI gets fine horizontal dispersion due to the small mid/tweeter and the side-firing drivers, and healthy bottom end due to the fact that it has two 10's in that little cab.

Both of these rigs will get pretty loud, at least as loud as I need. The guys I play with and the people I work for are very strict with volume, so these little one or two 10 cabs can cover the job. Commercial jobs, if they ever resume, just need a stage monitor, at most, and most of my recent jobs have been private parties with a fairly low volume ceiling.

The Genzler sounds great in the mids and high end, as that little line array is perfectly suited to 1,600Hz and up. The bottom is very satisfying, at the very top end of 1x10" performance.

The AI might not have the sparkle and detail of the Genzler, but it is very close and it has a sweet voice of its own. The bottom is very satisfying, and surprises everyone who hears and sees it. It has two neo 10' drivers in there, but the cab is so small that the bass extension is not as deep as the Genzler's. AI says it is flat to 40HZ, which sounds optimistic, but you really have to hear this little girl, she has a big chest!

Both of these rigs have made compromises to get as small and light as they are, and the power handling capacity of both is limited, largely by the 10" drivers and small boxes. A five string is going to bring out some of the limitations, so I don't bother.

The AI rig is a killer, if you and the amp and your bass can get along. It took me a while, but I got it dialed in with my electric and piezo basses. Double bass players seem to like everything about these things, and one of the big selling points is that they fill the bandstand beautifully, with the side-firing woofers aimed at two places and the mid/tweet another. You're not going to cover a loud drummer, so we need to be reasonable. The AI rig is a lot easier to carry, the whole thing and all your cables fits in a padded tom-tom bag.

The Genzler rig is a lot more aggressive, and getting the cone thrust from the woofer aimed directly at you makes a difference. Excellent tone, but when the time comes to move, it reminds me of a Super Reverb. It's not that heavy, it doesn't look like it should be hard to move, but it is a PITA to haul down a crowded sidewalk or a cramped kitchen access. There is a price to pay for this thing sounding so big for a one by 10".

If I'm just using the amp for a stage monitor, or if I'm doing a private party which is always going to be on the quiet side in an oddly shaped space, I lean toward the AI. Everybody can hear it, nobody gets blasted. If I need to carry the room with the amp, I might lean toward the Genzler. I have a second cab for the Genzler rig, which bumps the performance up enormously. The AI cab is at 4 ohms, so that rig is not expandable.

Not cheap, but both rigs are pretty loud, flexible, and easy to hump around. Great tone has never been cheap. If I had a bigger gig and needed to carry the room with the amp, I would probably prefer a Rumble 500 or my Bergantino HDN-210, but within their limitations these little rigs sound good!

Attachments

• 100_2966.JPG
    100_2966.JPG
    294 KB · Views: 7
  • 100_2977.JPG
    100_2977.JPG
    275.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 100_2978.JPG
    100_2978.JPG
    346.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 100_2979.JPG
    100_2979.JPG
    336.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 100_2981.JPG
    100_2981.JPG
    367.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

dB

Silver Supporting Member
I've been really curious about that AI setup. Any chance you could add a 1x15 to get some more bass extension? I'm in the market for an amp that can sound great for both electric bass and acoustic guitar. Came close to getting an EA iAmp Classic, but these AIs got my attention, and I sort of stalled out.

Khromo

Silver Supporting Member
The cab is 4 ohms, and the lower limit of the head is two, so you could add another 4 ohm cabinet like a 1x15. Could be a very good idea in some circumstances. There is also a preamp out that you could use to drive a powered sub or other powered speaker.

You definitely wouldn't need anything else for acoustic guitar, this will do a great job all by itself if the voice suits you. The bottom end with a four string electric bass is very close to any other 1 by 10" I've heard. I don't compare it to 2 x 10's because that small box will not dance with its larger brothers, and it seems an unreasonable comparison considering price, size, and weight.

If the DoubleShot is indeed flat to 40 as they claim, that should satisfy most bassists. I know I am already happy enough with the bottom end that I take it to the studio without thinking twice: it gets an excellent fat, deep sound at studio volumes very easily, and it has room to spare. It is a pain to mic, and you can't close mic without two mics. I haven't really spent much time with a five string in this amp.

The head has a variable high-pass filter, which really helps with bass management when the volume starts to rise. With the four string, this is the perfect monitor for most stages, and it will carry small to maybe medium size rooms at moderate volumes. Medium size rooms at any more than moderate volume without a PA is getting to the limit. It is fine for any acoustic gig I can imagine.

The bottom end shocked me, no kidding. I did not expect much based on the size of the cab, considering two woofers were sharing such a tiny space, but it has really proved itself. It definitely sounds good, and it is reasonably loud, too!

Last edited:

Danny W.

The AI Clarus SL-R is rated to 2 ohms. I have used mine to drive a Ten2EX & Doubleshot. Caveat: I’m a guitar player, so not pushing it as hard as a bass would.

Danny W.

Khromo

Silver Supporting Member
The AI Clarus SL-R is rated to 2 ohms. I have used mine to drive a Ten2EX & Doubleshot. Caveat: I’m a guitar player, so not pushing it as hard as a bass would.

Danny W.

Thanks, Danny! I will go correct the earlier posts to avoid confusing anybody.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom