A Getaway: Spain, Greece, or New Zealand?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by RAILhead, Jan 17, 2015.

1. RAILhead

RAILhead (real name is Maury, BTW) Gold Supporting Member

Okay TGP travelers: looking for a chill, relaxed, beautiful, B&B atmosphere-like, and awesome getaway for two. I've been to Rome, Paris, and London, so scratching those off this list.

New Zealand was mentioned, but that seems more like a general vacation. Then Spain and Greece popped into my head. Not huge fans of the beach, so that style of trip is out. How similar is Barcelona to Rome? Greece seems to be quite different, plus a culture we don't have any experience with, so that could be cool.

Planning on browsing guides at the bookstore Sunday, but thought I'd post here, too! FWIW, it's being left up to me to decide. Schedules make it so that travel will be in May, ��

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  2. kiwicanuck

kiwicanuck Member

May is autumn here, so cool typically. I'm biased. :)

3. mge80

mge80 Member

Since you've already been to "Paris and France" would the same apply to "Rome and Italy"?

4. filtersweep

filtersweep Member

I like Spain better than Greece. We seem to end up in thst part of the world each summer.

Barcelona is a big city. I've been there a few times, but I find myself in tourist mode. It was much more interesting renting a villa in the mountains outside Malaga, or renting a seaside apt well outside the city. Islands can also be nice, if not touristy. Mallorca is an easy trip. I have never experienced BnB culture there- does it exist?

Last year we just sublet apts and rented a car- spent a week in two places.

5. neoprimitive

neoprimitive Member

I've never been to any of them, but out of the choices, New Zealand would be my choice.. its exotic, distant and nothing like the rest.

6. Nystuss

Nystuss Member

New Zealand is so completely different from the rest that it would be the easy choice for me.

7. Che_Guitarra

Che_Guitarra Member

That's NZ tourism in a nutshell - a wonderful place to spend a few weeks. The only thing it has in common with Texas is use of the English language... albeit a very different accent :)

8. grill

grill Member

sicily and malta is on my bucket list. history and food.

NZ was too. hobbits.

9. RAILhead

Ha, typo: changed it. Rome, Paris, London.

10. RAILhead

This has me leaning toward NZ again. We talked about spending 2015 Christmas there, but we could go somewhere else.

11. Craig Allen

Craig Allen Member

How much time do you have? New Zealand is not exactly a short hop. You're looking at getting to LA and then 13 + hours in a metal tube from there to Auckland. May in
    NZ is autum; still very mild in most places. You'd need at least a week on each island to really make it worth the trip; preferably more. Still, a most wonderful place and well worth visiting.

12. Rex Anderson

Rex Anderson Member

We liked Rome way better than Barcelona and liked Florence better than Rome.

Australia/New Zealand is awesome, but you need time to get over jet lag. It takes a long time to get there and back home, too much plane ride unless you're going to stay a while (at least a few weeks). If I was going all the way to New Zealand, I would have to go to Australia too (Sydney and Melbourne). Save that for a long vacation.

Two of our favorites are Florence and Paris.

13. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Member

Three ideas.
    1) Madrid and Seville in Spain. There's a high speed rail link between the two. Both are beautiful in their own ways.
    2) Lisbon in Portugal. Beautiful and relatively inexpensive.
    3) Budapest, Hungary and then Vienna, Austria. Both gorgeous with lots of history. Budapest is crazy cheap, as in an excellent meal for two in a fine restaurant, with great Hungarian wine, for $70 including service and tip or a very nice AirBnB one bedroom apartment in a great, central, location for $40/night.

14. Hanglow

Hanglow Member

Basque country, San Sebastian etc Best food in spain

15. stephax

stephax Member

Another vote for Seville. You'll definitely feel more connected there, in a spiritual way that is.

Cheers.

16. Fantom1

Fantom1 Member

(Lived in Spain for 5 years) I'd say Spain is definitely the most varied in terms of culture from one part to the other, landscape as well.

The North is my favorite part, and it is not at all what most people think of when they think Spain (which seems to be Andalucia). It is definitely a chill B&B type atmosphere. There are thousands of little mom/pop inns with great food all throughout the north. Mountains, cows, ocean, green green green, great food.

Actually it is probably pretty similar to NZ, if not a little more exotic.

Feel free to PM me for anything if you'd like.

17. Stew

Stew Member

N. Zed is an awesome place to visit in the spring and summer, but in May the leaves are off the trees, it's getting colder and the days are shorter.

18. ford

ford Supporting Member

How long do you have to stay? New Zealand is a LONG trip.... when I go with my wife someday... we are going to spend a good week there at least.. and then another ten days in Australia most likely....

and I still dread the flight/flights...haha. :hide

19. TwangAddict

TwangAddict Member

San Sebastián, basque country, Cantabria. Amazing places, good food. I've never been in Greece, but is on my list next time in Europe, looks like an amazing country to travel around. Good luck in your trip!

20. Craig Allen

Craig Allen Member

A week in New Zealand is barely long enough to take in one of the two islands. Plan on two weeks at least.