A Gibson ES-335 is a great all-around electric guitar!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by mcuguitar, Sep 2, 2017.

1. MrGuitarhack

MrGuitarhack Member

They are very versatile guitars. I fell in love with them back in the 70's when Robben Ford and Larry Carlton were sporting 335's. So I ended up with a 1981 dot neck.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. waltkh5

waltkh5 Member

Guitars come and go. If I was forced to pick only one guitar for versatility it would have to be my '71 ES-335.
    [​IMG]

3. rummy

rummy Member

4. Blue Light

Blue Light Member

Just for the hell of it.

mcuguitar likes this.
  5. bulbasaur_85

bulbasaur_85 Member

Any differences amongst '16, '17, and '18 models?

I think the body shape has slightly changed/evolved. The pickups have changed from burstbuckers to MHS humbuckers. Rounded C shape neck profile. All that sound right?

6. Jarick

Jarick Supporting Member

A 335 is on my bucket list.

Also good lord every single musician in the OP is really great. Fantastic playing!

mcuguitar likes this.
  7. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, Clapton's playing, and especially his vibrato, is just beautiful in this clip!

8. InkStained

InkStained Member

Am I allowed to post a pic of my 339 here? It's 4 "more" than a 335, and I am quite taken with it.

[​IMG]

MrGuitarhack, DarrellM5 and mcuguitar like this.
  9. 70' s Tone

70' s Tone Member

Nice!

mcuguitar likes this.
  10. blowery

blowery Member

Well... how about a 335 than ISN"T a gibson?

Fantastic guitar here. For those not able to find a good gibson or wanting something different..try the Yamaha SA series. I've been playing this over my Am Deluxe strat for the past almost year since I got it. Very thick sounding guitars and just flexible. Some prefer them to Gibson 335's, but thats preference and not fact. Great built and sounding guitars.

Yamaha SA-1100

[​IMG]

Here's a small, non-guitar wizardy clip I recorded with the 335.

Here's just a clip i was testing some Alice in Chains inspired tones with the 335

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    JK1965, MrGuitarhack and DarrellM5 like this.
  11. Mr. Bertha

Mr. Bertha Member

Heritage H-535. Also versatile.

[​IMG]

12. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member

The Gibson DNA is strong with this beauty!

Mr. Bertha likes this.
  13. Mr. Bertha

Mr. Bertha Member

Thanks! I'm quite fond of it myself. One curious detail about this guitar - the label inside the f-hole says "Heritage Guitar Custom Shop." I had no idea Heritage even had a custom shop. I bought this new sight unseen from Wolfe Guitars in 2006 and just noticed the odd decal a few months ago.

14. maplebaby

maplebaby Member

15. qblue

qblue Member

I agree.

I have a ES-347 that had the historic humbucker called Series 7's. But they are Dirty fingers with a gold cover. These pickups are super hot with an output of 14kHz. 2 years ago I got fed up with the sound and replaced the neck with a Classic '57 pickup, and instant everything came out of the guitar. It sounds so good now even with the bridge Dirty fingers, which remains. With both pickups it sounds like a Tele. I play a lot of jazz fusion and funk, and occasionally use my Strat Ultra for the really funky stuff. But now I can do it all on the 347....It is my number one since the pickup change. It has graduated from so-so to OH.. MY...GOD! I know what you mean on the pickup change. It does sound like the OP 's guitar on the opening vid.

The ES-335 is Gibson's best selling guitar, and longest continuous production guitar, likely due to its versatility.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    mcuguitar likes this.
  16. jiml

jiml Member

Kinda missing something here, but I have never owned a 335.

What makes them more versatile than a Les Paul? Same electronics and switching.....

17. Mr. Bertha

Mr. Bertha Member

The semi-hollow construction makes it a little brighter/clearer and less intensely mid-focused than Les Paul's tend to be. It can still growl similar to a les Paul, but the cleans are brighter and can twang a little more. Makes it a reasonable choice for country, jazz, rock or hard rock etc

mcuguitar likes this.
  18. wmachine

wmachine Member

Generally not the same electronics in most of the models I've seen. But it is clearly used by many professionals in their mix of guitars, and that means a lot to me. Tommy Shaw comes to mind, and he really knows his guitars. Has a black 335 gets regular stage time.

Yes, and along with the "regular" ES-335s, there are '58s, '63s, '69s, etc. to consider.

19. 73Fender

73Fender Member

I have a 2006 H535 also from Wolfe which also has a Custom Shop label. Mine is called a "35 Special" and has extra binding and inlay logo. I think Wolfe may have been ordering special batches that he spec'ed out back then. There is no special Custom Shop at Heritage, all made by the same guys in that old factory at the same work stations from years and years ago as far as I know.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    Mr. Bertha likes this.