A Glowing Nod to T1M

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Nate.k, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Nate.k

Nate.k Member

Evening folks.

I had a fantastic experience earlier this evening and wanted to share it with you. I've seen mixed posts on TGP about the timeliness or communication from Dan over at T1M effects. I always looked at those discussions realizing that Dan's a busy guy between his company, church, family, and life.

That said, I purchased my first product from him, the E3D aux switch for my Timeline, and there was a mixup with the order form. I ended up with the eventide version of the pedal. I email Dan about the issues I found and heard back from him in literally 3 minutes. I sent my email at 9:47p CST and had a reply waiting at 9:50p CST. Within the next few minutes, we had a resolution to my problem and everybody is happy.

I know that TGP likes to bash and hash through debates around builders, pedals, and really anything - lots of conflict. Here, however, I just want to shout out to a builder who has earned my business, trust, and appreciation. Top service, Dan! Thanks for your 3-minute response time on at 10pm on a Friday night.
    This is a small thing yes, but it goes a long way in my mind.

2. danonbass

danonbass Member

Let us know when you get the correct pedal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Matt Gnarly

Matt Gnarly Member

From what I've read on here in the many many threads that do not reflect your recent experience, the off the shelf pedals are usually not a problem. The problem is custom jobs, mods and repairs. I hope you get everything resolved, but that doesn't really help all the people who have been screwed over by him. Buyer beware.

4. tanee

tanee Member

He would earn some respect from me if he owned up to his past mistakes and did better from now on.

5. gibs5000

gibs5000 Member

yea, I typically don't choose sides in this debate, but at the same time I don't think I'd ever purchase any of his products, (especially since most of the simple stuff I can build myself) but until you have the correct pedal in hand, I wouldn't get excited just yet.

6. 8len8

8len8 Member

1 good review for every 10 bad reviews. I don't call that good.

7. jsytsma

jsytsma Member

He needs to stop sending people here to restore his rep.

8. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

This thread seems real shady. Dan responded within 3 minutes of your email? Thats great but you still haven't got your original product. This is a far cry from a glowing nod. Lol! Most builders here on TGP will respond back within a proper time and most will deliver the product.

9. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

Dan has never really had an issue with his own products. Modding others is the real problem with him. That and lack of communication.

10. MmcGrouty

MmcGrouty Silver Supporting Member

So your good experience negates countless other bad experiences? He did send you the wrong item to begin with. But yeah, he must be great and trustworthy because he responded quickly to your email, and he goes to church.

11. Nate.k

Nate.k Member

Is it a crime to let prompt and helpful communication with a business instruct my view and opinion of that business?

Yes, this is still an unresolved problem, since I have to mail my pedal back to Dan for him to replace it, and I'll be sure to update this thread with the remainder of my experience.

I am choosing to approach my dealings with T1M with a clean slate. I don't discount any past negative situations folks have had with T1M I simply want to shed any honest and hopefully positive light on this relatively hot topic on TGP through my own valid experience.

Is this thread shady? Nah. Don't think so. I'm simply a private citizen hoping to give a positive report about guy.
    Just because Dan is a "church" guy doesn't mean I automatically think he is the bees knees.
    Just because he responded to an email in 3 minutes on a Friday night doesn't mean that he should be knighted.

However. As somebody who's worked in a variety of jobs requiring tactful and nuanced customer service and people skills, I so appreciate prompt and honest communication about a mistake and way to remedy that mistake. Can't I compliment him on that?

Take a breath and I'll let you know when this thing comes to a close.

12. OliveBridge

OliveBridge Member

So, as someone who's worked the job and know how important it is for "prompt and honest communication about a mistake and way to remedy that mistake." Tell him to respond to the other people with custom orders that require the same -if not more, careful attention than you do.

And you're really complimenting he has tactful and nuanced customer service and people skills?

[MOD EDIT]

And to your very first question: It's not a crime, but it won't help you properly judge a business. "Hey! That guy was prompt and helpful to me while ignoring countless others. Let's give him my business, trust, and appreciation."

See where this is going?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2015
  13. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

Lol! I cant help but laugh when i see a glowing nod to someone that responded within 3 minutes to the original email. Honestly hope it works out for you.

14. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

:rotflmao:rotflmao

I like you.

15. OliveBridge

OliveBridge Member

This...

I really don't join in on these threads, because I start getting a bit cynical of people and I may come off as a smartass, but if the OP has already made up his mind, I hope things do work out for you, unlike a lot of other people.

I'm not one to wish ill on someone because of differences, or because I didn't receive the same kind of treatment. World ain't fair, learned that long ago. Good luck though.

16. ELmiguel

ELmiguel Member

Just make sure you are aware of his policy regarding "squeaky wheels". You don't want to get bumped to the end of the list for asking where your replacement pedal is.

http://this1smyne.com/f-a-q/

"The Squeaky Wheel Policy: ever have a hum in your rig you can’t track down? a vibration in your car when you break 50mph? that neighbors dog that barks all night every night from 10-4am? The SWP is in place as about the only form of ‘filtering’ on orders i have. There are patient customers and there are customers who need their hands held. I will deal with the patient customers first EVERY TIME. if you are constantly writing me FB messages, spamming my IG account, writing me a dozen emails a day and complaining that your item hasn’t gotten to the top of the list yet you are the squeaky wheel. calm down and relax and your unit will get shipped, or write the aforementioned ‘refund’ email and i will mail you your unit back in its present state and issue a refund. Each ‘ping’ will put you behind the people who aren’t ‘pinging’. i don’t charge for customer service time, and i spend a LOT of time giving customer service, and that will add time to your order. if you have a change to your order than write ‘change of order #XYZW’ in the subject line of an email. in the unfortunate world where i have more orders than time to fulfill them those that need their hands held constantly will wait longer. I reserve the right NOT to build for individuals who constantly violate my privacy/personal time. so if you find yourself waiting a longer time than quoted please count how many emails/pm’s/messages you’ve sent in the last week. you may very well be the squeaky wheel…. having members of your church and your mom and best friends message is another way to get yourself to the back of the waiting queue. patient people will get served first every time."

17. tanee

tanee Member

That gets me so fired up every time I read it. There's no way someone with that thought process should be allowed to operate a business.

18. mkr1

mkr1 Supporting Member

His "policy" is so contradictory. By his definition, the patient customers are the ones he doesn't have to deal with. Reminds me of an insurance company...go ahead and file a claim, but your rates are going up.

I bought a favorite switch from him years ago without drama, but count me in the camp of people who will never be repeat customers, even for stock products, because of all the accounts I've read on this site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

I've bought about 8 pedals from him, some custom (i.e. the first ME's for Wet, an "underdrive"style reverse boost, etc).

Typical exchange:
    Me, usually on a weekend or night: "Hey Dan, I think I need XX. Possible?"
    Dan, literally 5 minutes later: "Sure bro, I'll get it done tomorrow." And he does.

Every damn time. I believe there's a linear relationship between douchebaggery and disappointment. I'm never disappointed. EVERY exchange with him has been stellar.
    Haters gonna hate. Hijackers gonna hijack. Trolls gonna troll. Douchebags gonna be disappointed. Good to hear your story OP. Same here.

20. Hairpin Turns

Hairpin Turns Member

So, any customers who have had problems and then come here to voice them are simply "douchebags" and that's the only possible explanation?