A good alternative to a Blackstone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by MK50H, Feb 22, 2008.

1. MK50H

MK50H Member

I've had a Blackstone for years, and have had a bit of a love/hate relationship with it. However, it is a great pedal overall and I would like to try something similar.

I use the BS, with the drive set fairly low and it's great for getting loud amp tones at lower levels. And I love how it feels like a real amp.

So, what do you guys thinks has similar sound qualities to a BS?

2. eru

eru Member

i want it for that, partially because I don't like the all-out sound of my amp. Crunch is good and with some tweaking clean is good, just not the all out.

I'll either be getting a BS or a Fuzz, but I'm also looking at the zendrive, since i've heard recordings of it cleaning up really well.

3. TheFlash

TheFlash Member

The thing I'm always hearing about the BS (because I've never played one) is that it cleans up super well your volume knob. Two pedals that people also compliment the same way are the OCD and the box of rock. I would find some clips to listen to of both of those and see if that's the direction you're looking for.

4. MK50H

MK50H Member

The OCD is certainly under consideration for me, but I'm not sure how it'll be with lower gain. Also (a small thing) I don't like the multiple versions, it makes it a little difficult to understand if the OCD is for me.

I thought of getting a BOR before, maybe I need to look at that again. :) Although I prefer pedals in conventional boxes. The layout of the BS is one of the things that I dislike about it.

5. 6789

6789 Member

6. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Supporting Member

I second the ocd and BOR recommendation. The BOX is probably closer to the blackstone.

Don't worry about the OCD versions each revision has been a few samll changes to do things like decrease bass and treble and increase midrange. I had a V.3 and there were a few issues that made me send it back. Some of those issues seem to have been addressed in the latest version so I may try it agai. The bottom line is get the latest version and if you don't like it return it or sell it on TGP for minimal loss

7. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

The OCD v1 I had didn't clean up nearly as well as my Blackstone, and didn't stack nearly as well for me either. I never had a Zendrive, though I owned an early Mosferatu. It didn't clean up at all. I have not tried the BoR yet. It probably has a slightly different tone, but I bet it cleans up pretty well.

Then Blackstone is a nifty little device. It is not a neutral tone however and some people don't care for it in certain rigs. But if its tone jives with your rig, good luck finding something more amplike. Germanium fuzzface cleans up quite a bit better, but that is the only thing I have found that does.

Menatones are supposed to be pretty amp-like? I never tried one of those.

8. fr8_trane

fr8_trane Supporting Member

Hmmmm....
    I put the OCD, Blackstone and BOR all in the same category for volume cleanup. They are all superior in that aspect and I think its splitting hairs to say one is better than the rest. 6 of one...half dozen of the other.

I put the Fuzzface 1 step above all of these because it is stone cold clean at 8.

9. Stressfest

Stressfest Member

My Fetto Dlx retired my Blackstone ;)

10. fendergeek

fendergeek Member

I sold my ZD and BoR because they didn't clean up well. The CoT50 is right up there with the BS and Sunface for cleaning up.

11. spiritofeden

spiritofeden Member

IMO the BOX OF ROCK cleans up nicely...

12. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for Silver Supporting Member

The Morley JD10 does much the same thing. On the plus side, it also has speaker sim and makes an AMAZING direct recording box. On the minus side, it's about ten times the size of the Blackstone on your board and has fragile knobs.

If you dig the Blackstone, I wouldn't go shopping around for other stuff, really. It's one of the best pedals ever made, imho.

13. Jumblefingers

Jumblefingers Supporting Member

I have had the BS, BOR (x2) and OCD. I still have the BS. I found the BOR to be a lit more "gritty" for lack of a better term than the BS set for similar gain and into a totally clean amp. I think the OCD is likely a better bet though I have not had one in a while.

Funny enough the Analog Man Sun Face gets tones very close to the Blackstone at lower gain settings when the guitar is rolled back a bit but the range to hit that tone on the guitar knob is small so you need some care to get that magic spot. Of course the Sun Face cleans up totally too as you roll back some more.

The Sun Face with High Gain NKT's gives you more tonal variation range with guitar roll back but does not get 100% clean. It also goes to 13 and sounds wicked fuzz...between a fuzz face/tonebender/big muff...lots of sustain but warm with a dash of tonbender "rasp".

14. jpagey

jpagey Supporting Member

Barber Burn Unit EQ, like the BS, a 2 channel pedal with individual gain and volume controls for each channel.

15. fuzz_factor

fuzz_factor Supporting Member

I like the OCD at lower gain. The one thing I've noticed is that as you crank the gain, you get a lot more low end. At lower gain settings, the OCD is good for a nice gritty sound when strumming chords.

16. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    COT50 cleans up very well at the gtr volume knob. i've had a blackstone and nothing cleaned up as well as the blackstone.... OCD is similar but i think the COT50 is a little better.