A good alternative to the Fulltone FD2 Pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by regotheamigo, Sep 5, 2005.

1. regotheamigo

regotheamigo Member

I am about to get a new 100 watt head and cab, and wanted some opinions out there for a nice overdrive pedal like the FD2? I am already using it for another amp, and just wanted to try someting new. I really like the warmth of the FD2, but if there is something out there that's even warmer sounding, with maybe a little more sustain and punch, let me know. This new amp is going to be used for lead playing so I would need something to go along with that. Thanks

2. waynesmith

waynesmith Member

You might want to try Fulltone's OCD. I have been using one for about a year now and I'm very happy with it. I have been running it through a Mesa Boogie Lone Star 2x12 combo with LesPauls and Strats. The tone is very warm and it can scream when needed. About a month ago I picked up a Keeley Fuzz Head and put that in front of the OCD for some extra drive on the lead tones. The Fuzz Head is outrageous, unlike any fuzz out there. It cleans up real nice with the volume control on the guitar... Hope this helps a bit....Good Luck in your quest....waynesmith

3. Ryan

Ryan Supporting Member

I hear good things about the Banzai Fireball 2. Never played one, though. I'm stuck on my FD2. Been through almost all the others, and I came back to it.

4. eric-d

eric-d Member

Not to bitch, but the Keeley Fuzz Head isn't even close to being a fuzz in my book. It sounded like a clean boost with very little gain at all.. My Rangermaster clone has more balls than the Fuzz Head. The name of the pedal doesn't even come close to matching what the pedal does.

5. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

I had a FD 2 for about a year - I now use a Barber LTD. I feel it is less muddy and provides a better balance of tone (lows-mids-highs), and it is cheaper! It is not an in your face kind of OD - more subltle than most (if you can call any OD subtle!). I keep trying others, but the LTD just sounds great. A very musical and toneful OD.

The Gitpicker (still old, bald, and fat)

6. Rid

Rid Senior Member

Aramat Green Machine.
    Never heard a better TS-style pedal.
    Warm, singing, sweet, very very touch sensitive.

7. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Silver Supporting Member

Burriss Boostiest. These things are sleepers, you don't hear too much about them for some reason. Runs on a 9 volt or an adaptor, it has internal voltage doubling = 18 volts. Sounds killer. It's like a highly refined 18 volt TS808.

[​IMG]

8. Big Bob

Big Bob Guest

TC Jauernig's Gristle King is a FullDrive 2 killer according to Greg Koch.

I'll just say I really like mine......great pedal!

Bob

9. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Lovepedal Eternity smokes any OD in my book!

10. Tchello

Tchello Member

BJFe Little Green Wonder, it's the best TS9 pedal available today, expensive but the best.