• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

A good fuzz pedal for blues

Ides of March

I need some suggestions about some fuzz pedals for blues. And I don't want any boutique pedal references because I don't want to pay that much right now for a pedal. So if there are any good fuzzes you can recommend I would appreciate it.

Bloomfield fan

Silver Supporting Member
Analogman Sunface or early Fulltone 69 in metal casing (4 knob), Lovepedal 200lbs of tone. All work great rolling back your vol knob or running the gain at noon.

Robapov

I would suggest maybe a buzzaround clone of some sort...it works very well on many levels...the one i have built by whoismary kelly i use for jazz type things...it can go from very textured, thick and growly with the guitars volume all the way up, to really smooth and vocal with the volume and tone tamed a bit. It is difficult to find a fuzz that can be both fat and intense and smooth with the right high end....i am able to dial in many fuzz sounds that can retain chord quality...kickass overtones on 13th chords and such...The BJFE Pink Purple Fuzz may work also...

i think the DAM 1966 can do some amazing blues but it certainly has its own voice and does not vary too much from that sound...

edit: sorry these are all boutique....

traviswalk

In the Great State
Platinum Supporting Member
Fulltone Octafuzz. Not a crazy fuzz pedal and works nicely rolled off as a boost, plus you get the benefit of the Octave effect when needed.

shngn7

The Dano Cool Cat Fuzz if you want to go really cheap. Or check out a Dunlop JH-F1 or MXR Classic 108.

stratovarius

Silver Supporting Member
Ok, but is it just full on wall of fuzz or can it be tamed or made milder at all?
Generally, all Muffs are wall o' fuzzes, but there are a few of them that are quite configurable and have lower gain options. The Muff Diver might be just what you're looking for. They're only available on eBay as far as I know.

scott1568

Big Muff Pi will not clean up with guitar volume control which in my opinion is desirable for blues.
Look at Throback or any Fuzz Face clone. Germanium is desirable to me. Type in "Fuzz Face" in Youtube and get some demos. Proguitar.com on Youtube make great demos which should give you a decent idea of how these things are going to act.

thetangmang

Also, the most important thing about muff's that should work against you is that you want to play blues, and thus picking dynamics are essential. Muff's are so compressed that there is almost no difference in how hard you pick, it will still be full on wall of fuzz blown your way.

krisharmony

Silver Supporting Member
And I don't want any boutique pedal references because I don't want to pay that much right now for a pedal.

Damn, you'd think more people would read your first post...

That said, you may have a bit of a difficult time finding a really "great" fuzz for less than $100. Check out this page- http://www.pedalgeek.com/cgi-bin/ne...AA1236107092&command=search--items"&Submit=GO! There are a few pedals in there that aren't too incredibly expensive. A used Voodoo Lab Superfuzz is super cool and versatile. And don't be afraid to buy used, you can find a really great pedal for a really decent price if you're patient. So also check out the Effects Emporium here.

Windup 43

Silver Supporting Member
Also, the most important thing about muff's that should work against you is that you want to play blues, and thus picking dynamics are essential. Muff's are so compressed that there is almost no difference in how hard you pick, it will still be full on wall of fuzz blown your way.
I agree w/ this 100%, probably why I don't care for muffs at all. I think it would be helpful if the OP states what kind of blues he's playing...

scott1568

He could build a Silicon Fuzz Face, Easy Face, '69, or '70 clone from General Guitar Gadgets for roughly $60 if budget is an issue.

Ides of March

Kind of like Black Keys type blues. I and I think Dan uses a Hoof fuzz if I am not mistaken. Kind of blues like that, just dirty mild blues fuzz.

Sorry I forgot to quote. This is in ref to what kind of blues I like playing.

Would a fuzz face to this?

krisharmony

Silver Supporting Member
Kind of like Black Keys type blues. I and I think Dan uses a Hoof fuzz if I am not mistaken. Kind of blues like that, just dirty mild blues fuzz.

Sorry I forgot to quote. This is in ref to what kind of blues I like playing.

Would a fuzz face to this?
Well I'm pretty sure the Hoof is a big muff-style fuzz. A lot of his tones sound like Tonebenders, Superfuzzes, and Big Muffs to me. I'd say stick to these rather than Fuzz Faces, for this type of blues you don't really want full clean volume roll off. When I was really into their first album I had a Voodoo Lab Superfuzz that I was really happy with. See if you can find one used.

yellowecho

Because a lot of the blues sound tends to have more mids, i wouldn't really recommend a muff... although, i know dan from the black keys uses them occasionally.
His main live tone when I saw them mostly came from the volume of his amps..and he used a painted soulbender a lot.. sparingly used the muff-style pedal.

imo, a tonebender sound would probably be best... followed by a fuzz face.

Ides of March

Well I'm pretty sure the Hoof is a big muff-style fuzz. A lot of his tones sound like Tonebenders, Superfuzzes, and Big Muffs to me. I'd say stick to these rather than Fuzz Faces, for this type of blues you don't really want full clean volume roll off. When I was really into their first album I had a Voodoo Lab Superfuzz that I was really happy with. See if you can find one used.
So would a big muff work for this or not. I also am going to look into the tonebenders too. Thanks.

Trending Topics