A good overdrive to use on my clean sound

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Cygnus, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Cygnus

Cygnus Member

Hello,

Yet another overdrive topic... I search for ideas here and there but maybe you could help me in a best way.

So I play mainly a Fender strat Classic Player 50 into a Fender Bassman 70. My sound is only based on my clean sound, so I add overdrive/distortion with pedals.

I use the MI Audio Crunchbox for lead sounds and solo. It is really great!!

I'l used to play a Digitech Bad Monkey for my overdrive sound, it is great too but I'd like to improve my sound with a better overdrive, less bluesy, less TS9-like if you know what I mean. A pedal which produces a good overdrive, warm, not too dirty. I thought about a Boss BD2 (with Keeley mod) but I don't know...

My musical tastes could help: Pink Floyd, Marillion, Radiohead, Yes, King Crimson, Camel (love Andy Latimer's sound!!), Porcupine Tree

Do you have any ideas of a great overdrive pedal (100/150$) for my needs?

Thank you

2. giggedy

giggedy Member

Sounds like you're describing the KOT, but you will have a lot of trouble finding one for 100 or so. I've heard good things about the lovecraft mojo drive, I would check out the timmy as well.

3. junior40

junior40 Member

OCD :dude i use it with my strat and its amazing

4. Cygnus

Cygnus Member

The Timmy... Very famous here, not so much in France, I have to check samples...

OCD, I owned one but I found it too harsh... But at that time, I thought as well that the OCD didn't have enough gain but now I own my MI Audio Crunchbox, it's different.

I really search for a beautiful crunch in a box :) and only used on a clean sound. Even if I could use it as well to boost my Crunchbox sometimes, I don't know...

5. Jam119

Jam119 Member

Barber Tone Pump... Takes a good sounding guitar and amp set up and makes it sound like an amp thats naturally breaking up... + you get 2 channels so you can have a mild for rythem and a higher gain setting... Over $200.00 but I've seen them go used for $150.00 to $175.00.

6. RomanS

RomanS Member

Have you tried some of the Marshall pedals, like the BluesBreaker 2 (which should be perfect for your description - "a good overdrive, warm, not too dirty", while not sounding TubeScreamer-ish at all)? Or the Guv'nor, if you need more gain?

Sure, they may not be "boo-teek" (and hence, not very popular on this forum) - but they do sound great, are very well made, don't cost a lot, and, best of all, can easily be found at many shops on our side of the great pond...

7. dave s

dave s Member

Strat and Fender amp likes the old standby Fulltone FullDrive II. Can't go wrong there.

dave

8. bluesrules

bluesrules Member

Strat SIZZLE and clarity -Lovepedal COT50!

9. Cygnus

Cygnus Member

I don't know those pedals, just names... I will search for samples!

I'm not against Marshall pedals if it sounds, I'll try it (it's to replace a Bad Monkey, 40$ pedal so...)

The Fulltone FullDrive II seems to be great, good quality it seems...

Thanks

10. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

The Keeley BD2 should get you where your going. Also the FD2 should do good as well with a nod towards versatility as well as being a smoother type OD. Both around your price range.

11. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

Nice taste Cygnus!! How about a Silver Kiss or a Barber LTD? A Rat w/ gain set low might even get you what you want...

12. Cygnus

Cygnus Member

Thanks Windup ;)

I'm not sure about the Guv'nor, it seems to be like my Crunchbox. I don't want to replace it, just add another nice sound to be more versatile.

Smoother would be great so, maybe the FD2... I don't know the Barber LTD neither. I'm going to listen to samples right now.

In fact, all the most famous names I can see in the other topics seem to suit to my needs.

13. XKnight

XKnight Member

You can't go wrong with a Lovepedal Eternity with the gear you're using, but it will cost more than $150. It's considered one of the best ODs available at any price. It simply sounds great with most gear, but I particularly like it with my Strat and Bassman type amp.

14. rotren

rotren Member

Camrose, Alberta, Canada, but originally from Umea
  15. hamfist

hamfist Member

Remember that to import any pedal into the EU from the USA will add AT LEAST 30-35% cost (minimum) on top, what with shipping and import taxes.
    I think realistically $100-$150 in the EU will only really get you a Boss pedal (or at best an MI Audio pedal).

I think a Marshall Guvnor wil sound really quite different from a CrunchBox. Much more vintage, and lower gain. But not smooth. If you're looking for smooth, I'd look at a GSR, or a Zen. Certainly nothing in your pricerange in Europe.

Maybe there's a need to start saving !!

16. Cygnus

Cygnus Member

Really interesting too if it's good with my gear...

Rotren, thanks, I'm going to watch your videos :)

17. pedalitis

pedalitis Member

in my opinion, you should consider the ocd. ive heard rave reviews on the ver 2 but im currently using the ver 3 and its outstanding. i have one on low drive boosting in to another ocd and thats just brilliant. the ocd is great high gain(non metal) and low gain. the lp setting on it is not as harsh as well. cleans up real good too

18. Cygnus

Cygnus Member

And do you think it's a good add to the MI Audio Crunchbox?

19. RomanS

RomanS Member

I don't think that the Barber LTD would be such a great choice for your wishes - I have one myself, and love it, one of my favorite overdrives, BUT: it does not have a lot of gain, and at least the black one does still have some TubeScreamer tone in it, it's not that different from the Bad Monkey (which I also have).

I guess the Fulltone 2 would be a good choice, too (though, admittedly, it also has some TScreamer-ish genes...), pricey over here, though (290 Euros the last time I checked) - maybe think about some clones, like the MEK-TD2 from Germany, or the "Vahlbruch Siggydrive", as sold on German Ebay by "siggy_v" (I have the latter myself, kinda like a Fulltone 2 with the option to choose between asymmetrical and symmetrical clipping).

Oh, and do check out the Marshall Bluesbreaker 2, that's really what first came to my mind when I read your question... Warm, singing, with lots of harmonic overtones, not really aggressive, without the prominent mids of a TS, and quite a bit of gain on tap. And only about 55/60 Euros...

20. Cygnus

Cygnus Member

Yeah great idea about the Bluesbreaker!! Even if it's cheaper, I'm not against that! :) I bellieve that the first versions are better than the reissue (as usual it seems lol)

So if I have a better budget, I will think about the Fulldrive II, a used one.

Still need to check the Eternity...