a good practice/small gig amp for vox player that wants variety. princeton boogie??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by re-animator, Feb 1, 2008.

1. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

well I found "my tone" when I picked up an ac30 recently.

and i'm a pretty strapping guy, but these things are HEAVY.

I find myself in need of a secondary amp.... something tonally different from my ac30, but something still groovy.

I know we all seek that cool amp for bedroom tones, but I really would like to find something in a 1x10 or 1x12 package (or head) that can deliver at least some of these things:

- loud enough to be a gigging backup amp for my ac30

- master volume

- mesa-ish sustain with or without pedals

- fender like cleans (I really miss my super reverb reissue)

- good mid-gain crunch sounds (sort of tweedy or early marshall)

- able to clean up well with volume knob if its not a channel switcher

- not super heavy

- preferably 20 watts or less

other ideas that have been floating around in my head have been a half-power jtm45 amp, or something that can sound like a mini-plexi in a small package. The obvious answer to me is the 1974x or clone, but I'm concerned it will sound too similar to my vox.

The specific amps i've been thinking about are:

Silverface Princeton w/ boogie mod
    1974x 18 watt clone
    hot rod deluxe w/ omega mod
    fender deluxe reverb
    any 80s mesa 1x12
    tweed deluxe??
    rivera clubster (is that the right one? 25w 1x12)
    crate v16/32 palomino
    thd univalve
    Princeton reverb reissue (when they come out)
    fender supersonic

now the princeton boogie thing really interests me, because I love the sound of old princetons, but I would need more than just a clean sound as I'd much prefer to have this be a "plug 'n play" type amp rather than something i would need to bust out pedals with.

I am a little partial to british tone, but I don't want to just have more of the same, or an ac30 in a smaller package. The liquid sustain at low volumes is probably a bit more important to me than the cranked crunch tone. For this, something boogie-ish but not boogie might be ideal. I'm kind of leaning away from boogie because:

- they're heavy
    - i don't like the cleans much
    - the mark series are the only ones I really like the gain structure of

now what i've been wondering though is can the fender reissues be modded into a mesa type circuit a la the princeton boogies etc? From what I understand, the boogie mods are done by installing a master volume and installing a cascading gain circuit in place of tremolo. Seems like it should be do-able on modern fenders even though they are not PTP. A Princeton reissue or DRRI seem like they could be prime candidates for this sort of thing.

of course if i decide to go against the old school mesa sound or use pedals for it (i've got a v-1 bottle rocket on the way), I would most likely either go the route of a standard princeton/deluxe reverb, tweed deluxe, or 1974x.

I would just wonder if the 18 watter would be different enough from my vox to warrant buying... and also if it would have a useable clean sound with single coils.

thanks... i'll likely be going with a DRRI or PRRI for my next amp, unless somebody can enlighten me.

2. loudboy

loudboy Member

Pro Jr. and a Rat.

Loudboy

3. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

You can end your search right here. You have described a Matchless Spitfire to perfection. Note that they come in both a large and small box format, both with 1x12, I'm referring to the small one. A loud and chimey 15w with superb master volume, provides surprising head room, and like all Matchless, built like a tank. This little brute has but 3 knobs....Vol., Tone, Master Vol., and that's all it needs. A bit pricier than some, but amazing quality and tone.

4. doctord02

doctord02 Member

You might consider a Mesa .22 Plus combo if you can find one used. Single 12" combo channel switcher with eq and a EL84 power stage.

5. re-animator

how's the gain sound?? I can always go the ceriatone route rather than look around for an overpriced out of production amp. aren't they pretty voxy to begin with though??

6. re-animator

its definitely on my list.

7. guitarchris

guitarchris Member

Ga-15rv! doesn't have a master but a great sounding amp.

8. re-animator

yes, i definitely remember playing one and loving it a long while back.... kind of in between tweed and blackface cleans... VERY warm.

thanks for reminding me because I forgot all about this amp.... how is the dirt on it?? I would imagine somewhere between tweed and 18 watt territory. It is also PTP and has tremolo, so I would assume one could definitely mod it with cascaded gain stages if one were so inclined....

9. burner

burner Member

Yep, or even maybe a DC-2

10. FFTT

FFTT Member

I'm thinking the Reeves Custom 18 or Custom 30 in a 1X12 Combo
    Very British, but able to work well with pedals and both have power scaling.

The Custom 18 delivers about 20 watts, the Custom 30 about 35 watts.

The Custom 30 would get you that combo of Hiwatt cleans and power with
    a JTM 45 type groove in the OD section.

Another amp to consider is the Vintone Simplex or his '84 Express.

The Suhr Badger would also be a good choice.

On a super tight budget, the Ceriatone Expression or Muchless Lightening.

11. guitarchris

guitarchris Member

Man I want to try one of these!

12. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

The gain is as you characterized....somewhat Voxy, but they're not just all about gain like other compact amps. You can get decent cleans too. Matchless resumed production of these. I know Wilcutts has a used/mint one in stock.