A good simple chorus for for before overdrive.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by papersoul, May 25, 2015.

1. papersoul

papersoul Member

Hi all,

Starting to get a band going. Doing a lot of 90s alternative and grungr, plus some classic rock and more modern.

I use an MXR analog chorus in the loop and love it.

I want a chorus I can use in front of gain but doesn't overtake my tone. I would use this for some effected rhythm and lead parts like STP and other similar type tones...

Looking at the MXR Micro, Jacques Meistersinger, CMATMODS analog chorus, Catalinbread Castillo chorus and VFE Choral Reef.

Thanks for the advise.

Last edited: May 26, 2015
  2. Kestrel

Kestrel Member

The MXR Analog Chorus is one of the best sounding chorus pedals available. Don't dismiss it just because it's not a pricier boutique pedal. It's level control allows you to adjust the amount of the effect. You can easily run it in front of your dirt pedals and tweak the effect level to a very subtle setting.

3. papersoul

papersoul Member

So you say just get a second MXR analog chorus?

4. heyrobscott

heyrobscott Member

Mooer Ensemble King is a terrific CE2 clone with a level control. I have mine before dirt on my board.

5. Kestrel

Kestrel Member

Sure, why not?

6. OotMagroot

OotMagroot Supporting Member

I liked this chorus alot before dirt. If you want a chorus that doesn't overtake your tone then this is a great choice. Another great choice to be used with dirt is the Mr. Black Double Chorus.

7. wilddogmoon

wilddogmoon Supporting Member

Seems like the Digitech Luxe would be perfect for this based on video demo's I've seen.

8. Paulstarr

Paulstarr Member

U can find an used Boss CE-3 for cheap if u must get another chorus

9. FenderBigot

FenderBigot Supporting Member

You really can't beat the MXR M234 chorus. It really does a great job with dirt IMHO. The level knob is very useful and the sound can be dialed back, which is very important when using chorus with OD/dist.

deeohgee likes this.
  10. papersoul

papersoul Member

A second one would be fine but it is more fun and interesting to mix it up, no? Hehe

Now, that Digitech Luxe looks to be awesome! Thanks gents!
    One review states it has digital glitchiness at extreme settings.

11. bratch

bratch Member

You cannot fail with the Small Clone. The best before dirt for '80s and '90s sounds.

Aquinas likes this.
  12. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Control of time, and especially mix, speed and width are essential in using a chorus pre-distortion.

This, I don't think so.
    [​IMG]

This, yes please. Dialing in time and feedback to ride edge between what most would consider flange and chorus works well in front of OD/Dist.
    [​IMG]

Also, absolutely love using a pitch detune chorus in front of OD/Dist. Like boss ps-5 or 6. This I like better than almost any chorus.

ChorusCrackpot likes this.
  13. Fendegibs

Fendegibs Member

Couldn't agree more. I came in here to post exactly this.

Aquinas likes this.
  14. Kestrel

Kestrel Member

I had the Digitech Luxe. Draws too much current, in my opinion. Never had any headroom issues with the MXR Analog Chorus anyway. And while I don't know if I'd call it a glitch, yes, there is a noticeble digital overtone that can be heard at higher settings with the Luxe.

Seriously, the MXR Analog Chorus is a perfect choice to throw before dirt. This little blue box is very versatile and what I use to nail those early British post-punk tones (The Chameleons, Killing Joke, etc..)

[​IMG]

deeohgee likes this.
  15. bxlxaxkxe

bxlxaxkxe Supporting Member

I use my chorus just like you're wanting to....for some STP style drive sounds, and the analogman chorus does it perfectly. I have an external mix knob on my mini which I dial back a bit and run it in front of my amp. Very happy with this chorus. No interest in anything else.

16. papersoul

papersoul Member

OK, getting more confused by the hour, LOL.

So it is mentioned that it is critical to have a width control if running chorus before gain. Yet, the MXR and many others including the Small Clone do not have this.
    Do you guys think the VFE Choral Reef Chorus or Catalinbread Castillo chorus pedals are worth the big price tag?

The Luxe draws too much current? How so? Isn't it 9 volt? I read nothing but great things about it.

The thing that is so attractive about the Luxe is it stays the same, you don't get the seasick wobble.

About the Micro chorus, I listened to tons of demos of it with distortion and sounds great. I love how it sounds like a phaser at the lowest level, but doesn't have the swoosh effect, which is great. Can't I use this with my Pedal Power II+?

Oh, what about controlling delay time on a chorus pedal?

17. Aquinas

Aquinas Supporting Member

+1 to the Analog.man Small Clone - the EHX-type choruses work better before dirt, in my experience, than the Boss and MXR ones. They are just thicker and jucier, which may be a bit much on clean sounds, but works great before dirt. Plus, if you are going for the STP and Nirvana thing, I'm pretty sure they both used Clones - and the Mini Chorus isn't much more new than the good non-EHX-type clones...

18. bratch

bratch Member

You will end up setting your boutique chorus with mix and depth and tone and mojo controls to sound exactly like the big-box small clone.

Not saying that because I think I know everything ... On the contrary; it's because I've made the same mistake!

spacefiddle and Aquinas like this.
  19. jordane93

jordane93 Member

You might want something with a mix knob. Try a Mr. Black Double chorus

20. papersoul

papersoul Member

What about the Zakk Wylde Chorus? Love the clips with gain but should be the same as the mxr analog.

Small Clones to me sound pinky or not as thick as MXR choruses. So what about the Small Clone vs AM Mini vs MXR Zakk or Analog?
    One more.....Jacques Meistersinger!?

Considering so any pros use mxr, Boss and ehx...do I need boutique for myself?

Maybe I will try my MXR Analog Chorus in front of my amp.

If I use my chorus with a very low rate or speef, how is the Digitech Luxe that mu different? With chorus in front of an amp, with very low rate, and gain, it can be hard to hear the modulation or movement.

Last edited: May 27, 2015