• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

A good speaker for fuzz?

muletrane

What's a good 12"er for my DRRI that'll marry nicely with fuzz? Since I pretty much always have one turned on.

HayekFan

Celestion greenback or any speaker with a rolled off top end will work well with fuzz if you want a more civilized fuzz tone. If you want full-on fuzz raspiness then an undoped Jensen style speaker is your best bet.

I have Jensens in my Twin and Celestion Greenbacks in my Marshall 4x12 bottom cab. Those GBs really do tighten up the bottom end famously.

DaveKS

Emi CRex speaker does well with fuzz. Rolls off the top end, and doesn't get flubby.
And also a Tone Tubby 40/40, even better IMHO. If you look at curves for both Rex and TT you'll see the the Rex has a slope off from about 2k and above, the TT has a peaks pushing up more into 3.5-4k range before sloping off. There are a lot of harmonics/overtones with fuzz pedals that hit that upper range. TT is more forward in that range, Rex is smoother more subdued. Both are great speakers with fuzz.

I ran both side by side in matching amps, stereo for 4 months while I broke both of them in. If you want slightly more forward, cutting upper mids with the same tight bottom as Rex then TT is better, generally a better more rounded all purpose speaker. Does Iron Maiden or Boston or fuzz tones much better than Rex. Rex is more American voiced, rounder, smoother. You'll notice the 1k hump in Rex's curve. TT is slightly more linear from 1.5k down but with that push/hump above 2k much like a Celestion would do. Both are nice and non-fizzy/harsh on top end.

Both are great speakers but if you want more strident/forward tones TT wins and why I sold Rex and went with 2 TT. With fuzz it is just a slap in the face good speaker where Rex smoothed out. Pick the best weapon for your pedals, axe, amp and needs.

Of course Rex is currently $63 at Amazon and a no brainer choice economically, TT is $130 at South Valley Vintage amps. When I test drove them 4 yrs ago it was $95 for Rex, $130 for TT. Both are loud speakers, TT at 101db, Rex at 102db SPL.

Last edited:

geek-mo

Silver Supporting Member
The Celestion Vintage 30 does well with fuzz and high gain. I don't know if it will sound very good in a DRRI, though.

5F6-A

I'm getting great fuzz tones with my Tayden True Brits (UK made Greenback clones). I agree that British voiced 12" speakers sound best with fuzz. American type sound a bit too bright for me especially with a clean amp and if they are smaller than 12".

DarnWeight

Some kind of G12-65 variant...basically, a higher-power greenback with softer top end. Great with brighter-voiced Fenders, and handle high gain/fuzz really well.

Heard good things about the Celestion A-Type too, but not tried one in person.

chankgeez

I'm getting great fuzz tones with my Tayden True Brits (UK made Greenback clones). I agree that British voiced 12" speakers sound best with fuzz. American type sound a bit too bright for me especially with a clean amp and if they are smaller than 12".
So, you think the OP's still lookin' for a speaker?

Trending Topics