A-Grade Distortion Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by humbert, Nov 17, 2005.

1. humbert

humbert Member

There's a lot of noise (to which I have fallen victim, willingly, with my Barber and possible Timmy) about overdrive pedals on this board. Which is great -- overdrives sound clear, realistic, and pretty true to the guitar.

But what about distortions? I mean the heavy dirt. None of those hyper-digital-death-scoop pedals, I mean a pedal that sounds like a Marshall about to blow up.

I'm using a mid-80s Rat II, which I really love -- great gain, cleanup, and harmonics. But I'd like to know what else is out there on the market.

I'm looking for a heavy sound that cleans up a bit, is touch sensitive, and has really screaming sustain and harmonics. I know someone's going to say "get a plexi and a hot plate", but frankly, I don't have $1500-$3000 to spend on an amp right now. My Fender Showman is fine for now, with great cleans, and very good pedal overdrive.

If anyone's really up on tone-guru, audiophile distortions, let me know what my options are.

Thanks,
    Tim

2. RickB

RickB Member

3. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

4. smilefan

smilefan Member

Lovepedal Eternity.

My best characterization is, imagine
    an SLO at medium gain with sweet, plexi-like highs instead of the Soldano's "fingernails-on-chalkboard" treble sizzle.
    Best medium gain OD I've heard. Your Showman is all you
    need with this pedal.

A/B one with your RAT and laugh.
    $200-225 used, worth every penny.

5. rockster12

rockster12 Member

Well I kind of jumped in this same pool recently. I have an Analogman Pro Mod DS-1 due in any day now. I'll see how that works out and if it doesn't do it, I am going to go down the list until I find one that I like or just give the whole Idea up. I want the singing sustaining lead tone for my strat and Carr Slant6.
    If this one doesn't do it for me I'll move on to a Rat next.
    I don't like the stock ds-1 but I have never tried an Analogman pedal that didn't sound good. Maybe not my cup of tea but never a bad sounding one. We will see.

6. G'OlPeachPhan

G'OlPeachPhan Member

I'd give the Catalinbread SCOD an "A+++." Simply the best dirt/distortion pedal I've ever used. Intuitive and useful controls give you everything you need, nothing you don't. The "contour" control on this pedal is quite possibly the best "tone" control I've ever used on any pedal... somewhat subtle, but perfect for tailoring the overall response to match your rig, or to what you want to hear in your distortion sound. Can be used as a dirty boost or mild OD, all the way up to great high gain tones. Is it a Marshall in a box? I don't know about any of that, but it's a mind blowingly great pedal. See the review I just did in another thread for more of my thoughts/observations/opinions on this pedal.

7. BillyK

BillyK Supporting Member

Hermida Mosferatu
    Tonebone Classic

Either being pushed by an RC Booster or Bad Bob.

8. theelectic

theelectic Guest

Nah, you're going to get a dozen (or more) different pedals recommended to you, most of which you've probably never heard of before, and won't be able to hear or try before you buy :)

9. tiptone

tiptone Silver Supporting Member

In that case, definitely a CJOD. ;)

10. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

BJFE Dynamic Red Distortion.

The Emerald green is also a distortion, but too light for you it's more like a vox sound.

Lovepedal Black Magic.

11. John II

John II Member

+1 on the Lovepedal Eternity. Wicked pedal.

Also, The Tone Bone Hot British is an great Marshall in a box pedal.

~John II

12. cvansickle

cvansickle Member

Since nobody's mentioned it, I'll throw in another one: the HomeBrew Electronics Big D. It has five different diode settings and two clipping flavors to go along with the usual gain, level, and eq controls. I love it with all knobs pointing at 12:00.

I've also got the Blackstar on order. I haven't played one, but the online clips sound great and I plan to use it on my smaller practice rig.

13. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

14. jgyn

jgyn Member

Best 'Marshall on 10' box I've heard is the HAO Rust Driver. There's no gain adjustment, however, so all you get is 'Marshall on 10'.

I'm getting good 'Marshall on 5' from my Jacques Mercer Box 2.

15. Craise

Craise Member

+1 BJF Dyna Red and Emerald Green are the two best
    Distortions I've ever played. They sag and sing just like cranked Marshall and Vox amps. :dude
    I use them through my 64 Fender Princeton Reverb and they really do turn the fender in to a Marshall or Vox. Sweet pedals worth every penny.

16. Gamle John

Gamle John Member

The best distortion box I've ever tried is the Emma Reezafratzitz.

It sounds so close to tube that you can't tell the difference. And with this cool bias feature it goes from Marshall to Mesa with the turn of a knob.

Try it.

17. JKoeth

JKoeth Supporting Member

BJF is KING for me.

I have an Emerald Green which again is probably a bit too light for you.

The Dyna Red is what you want without a doubt. BJF will end your searches. No joke.

18. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Hot British gets my vote!

19. meterman

meterman Member

Another vote for the BJFE Dyna Red. Amazing distortion pedal, fat and ripping with great feel and just the perfect amount of compression, very amplike and versatile. Can do bluesy grit to searing high gain, cuts the mix very well.

20. humbert

humbert Member

Dyna Red sounds choice.

Moe, how do you like that Indyguitarist DS-1? It actually sounds pretty damn sweet! I have an I.G. SD-1 that really cranks!

-Tim