-singing
-vocal
-compressed
-tube amp-like
-natural
-organic
-infinite sustain
-etc.

. . . I will puke. I'm sooooo sick of big muffs, rats, fuzz faces, etc.

What is a fuzz that will never be called any of the adjectives above. And I don't want the obvious siren sounds, oscilating, sputtering, glitching, farting nintendo crap either. That's become just as boring and overused. I just want something gravelly, unsmooth, raw, uncompressed, loud, etc.

Last edited:

etc

Superfuzz or a Foxx Tone Machine or one of the many derivatives and clones.

I've got a Creepy Fingers Superfuzz clone, and believe me, there is no mistaking it. It's a brutal, raw, inyourface, chainsaw FUZZ!

Empros

This is a crappy sounding demo but this one is just plain mean:

There's a couple guys making some good clones of the older, nastier fuzz circuits that are harder to find. Probably best to go with one of those. Pretty sure the new EQD Terminal would do you well.
Ampeg Scrambler is another one to look at.

ChicagoJoe

I can't think of any time I've seen or heard someone describe a fuzz as "amp-like". Kind of defeats the purpose.

vanguard

I can't think of any time I've seen or heard someone describe a fuzz as "amp-like". Kind of defeats the purpose.

How so? People talk about Fuzz Faces in these terms all the time. Burns Buzzaround also sounds very "Tube amp melt down." In fact, I hear "I want a fuzz that sounds like a tube amp pushed to insanity" all the time. that's not what I want.

Well ****, Man. That's actually pretty close to what I hear in my head. Do I have to get an original? Who makes the most dead-on clone?

wrightdude

Wattson does a SuperFuzz (FY6) "and" an FY2

This one shares some FY2 DNA too (based on JAX fuzz)

Empros

Well ****, Man. That's actually pretty close to what I hear in my head. Do I have to get an original? Who makes the most dead-on clone?

Like wrightdude mentioned, Wattson makes a pretty awesome clone. Look around and you should be able to find one.
EQD Terminal also gets there but I'm not sure how dead-on it is as I've yet to try it (although I really want to!). Might be able to find some DIY clones out there too.
John at Basic Audio could probably build you one too.

cubistguitar

I second the Zippy, can get a lot of these same tones, those ibanez Standard fuzzes are wild, I think John Lyons make a version of that as well.

PlexiFuzz

I know karate. Voodoo, too.

Muff-based pedals are described this way quite often. For example, here's Skreddy's copy for the new Mayonaise MkIII:

"Makes a clean amp sound like a dirty, cranked amp, even at low volume--preamp or power-tube distortion not required."

I second the Zippy, can get a lot of these same tones, those ibanez Standard fuzzes are wild, I think John Lyons make a version of that as well.

Both good choices! And yes, the Ibanez Standard style fuzzes are crazy. The modified version Basic Audio does is by far the angriest/ugliest fuzz I own.

Last edited:

jgyn

Just picked up a Frederic Super Unpleasant Companion which is both the FY2 Companion and FY6 Super Fuzz circuits in one box. Plenty of non organic fuzz tones!

gravy

Just picked up a Frederic Super Unpleasant Companion which is both the FY2 Companion and FY6 Super Fuzz circuits in one box. Plenty of non organic fuzz tones!

mmmm that sounds promising, any clips yet?

I third the Zippy. I also have my eye on the Catalinbread Merkin. These 2 FUZZes are on my mind.

I know La Noise will recommend the Basic Audio Kay FUZZ to you. He says it's explosive.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom