A GREAT 6V6 amp and a GREAT 6L6 amp

thesooze

Silver Supporting Member
If you don't mind- gimme suggestions of one of each...

A great 6V6 and a great 6L6 amplifier. (Let's not load up on Fenders... I'm searching for boutique stuff)

What are the real differences between these two powertubes?

shredtrash

Gold Supporting Member
I have a Savage Macht 12x (6v6) and an Alpha and Omega David (6L6 amp made in Albuquerque, NM). Both are great amps. I especially like my Alpha. To me, the tone of a 6v6 can vary greatly depending on the amp and other factors. Mine actually sounds very Marshally when cranked. 6L6 amps, to my ear and experience, are a bit more similar sonically. I think they have really good top and bottom end. However, they are not as defined in the mids as a British-style amp like a Marshall.

doveman

How about both Brown Note D'Lite 22/33 ... 6V6 at 22w and 6L6 at 33w. I just built mine and it has a switch underneath the chassis ... also can be rebiased from the back ... bias points and bias pot right there. The whole thing can be done without taking the amp out of the cab.

tiptone

Gold Supporting Member
Dr. Z Z-28 is a really nice 6V6 amp.

My 6L6 choice would be a Super Reverb, so I'm no help to you there. :)

paddywhack

Gold Supporting Member
...Dr Z Z-28.....really nice 6V6 amp that has big punchy cleans for a 22-watter but can give it up with lots of chunk thunk chime and snarl...the tone stack,,,, just a bass and treble knob...is the key....a real pedal slut too....

....for something completly different in a 6L6...howzabout the Mesa 5:50 Express.....got the big cleans and a nice assortment of OD tones....really versatile swiss knife type amp....

GenoBluzGtr

Platinum Supporting Member
Here are the ones that I have personal experience with in three categories (6V6; 6L6; amps that can use either) and in order of MY PREFERENCE for the tonal superiority:

6V6
Clark Kanee Reverb
Clark Beaufort
Princeton (non-reverb)
Princeton Reverb
Dr Z Z28
Victoria 20112
Deluxe Reverb

6L6
Tweed Bassman
Super Reverb
Vibrolux Reverb
Alessandro Rottweiler
Boogie MK IV

Both
Tone King Meteor II (this one is also the best sounding 6V6 amp I have ever used.
SDG Proluxe

H

hemlock

The Heritage Victory and the Tone King are both very cool 6v6 amps.

For 6L6 goodness-
Alessandro Working Dog Rottweiler
Top Hat Super Deluxe- I can't believe these don't get more props here.

pjrhd28

Platinum Supporting Member
6V- Carr Slant 6V- The review in Guitarist Magazine said it made the best vintage Fender blackface sound like a worn out kazoo.

6L6- Victoria Victorilux- deep, deep, round, full cleans and magic right at the edge of breakup

reno88

i play a reinhardt mi-6 head (6v6, 18w) thru an avatar 2x12 cab (v30/g12h30). i've had it for less than a month and am still getting it dialed in. my lp screams thru it. great cleans and nastiness by rolling tone and vol knobs. no pedals.

reinhardt customer service is second to none.

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
Victoria Double Deluxe (4 6V6 pwr section depending on rectifier tube 30 watts w/2X12's) or Bogner Duende (2 6V6's @ 18 watts) - both nice amps. 6V6's just sound good w/guitars.

6L6 - grab 'n go combo, Carr Rambler - cool for the money silver face Fender bassman head

kmcmichael

6V6 Alessandro Plott, Princeton

6L6 bassman or twin for ceartain things, Alessandro WD Rotweiler.

These are the ones that I have liked although I thought the older bassmans ie 59 used a different tube

Trending Topics