A great attenuator = no more need for pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by soldano16, May 3, 2008.

1. soldano16

soldano16 Member

Funny how it all works out. For over a decade I used a single pedal, a Boss overdrive. When I had some gigs, I was frustrated because I could only set the pedal at one setting and I really wanted both a high and low gain option. So I bought a second pedal. But I found my clean tone with 2 pedals to be lacking. Then I discover loopers and built up a setup that could take everything out of the signal chain. I kept it simple, a fuzz, a boost and 2 overdrives. I thought I had it covered. Great tones and great flexibility.

But then I bought an Ultimate Attenuator and have been using it for about 2 months now. And I find I never use any of my pedals except the fuzz for Neil Young stuff. Absolutely no need for an overdrive. The gain to volume ratio in this setup is so outstanding that it's all there with just the volume knob.

I've been playing this way since I got the UA. It wasn't done on purpose. I just found that jam after jam I would look back and realize that I never once hit my BoR or BBB07.

Just to show you how nuts it is, my UA is a 2 channel model with a footswitch so you can set two different gain/volume levels. I didn't even use that option this week.

Guitar --> amp is all I use now. I used to run the plexi on about 2.5 - 3. Now I run it at 7.:JAM:D

2. troykennedy

troykennedy Member

Yeah, I have found a similar scenario. Bought a Bad Leash for my AC30 'cause they are so ungodly loud. Works pretty well And I find myself reaching for the overdrive a lot less.

I have a Psionic triad which has a couple of different levels of very nice clean boost. That has been getting more play than my OD's.

Could have saved a lot of money when you think about it. I''ll probably sell off a few things now.

3. Kapo_Polenton

Kapo_Polenton Member

And what happens when you want to play some metal? I have an attenuator and it works great for plexi style amps but you are still going to need a pedal of some type to push that amp into more gainier ground sunless you mod it. So atenuators are great.. but it depends on the type of music you like.

4. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

My goodness , not just metal... all kinds of music requires pedals and lots of tones and fx!!! If an attenuator and an amp works for someone , that's fantastic as it's about finding what works for you!!! That sure doesn't work for me for anything from metal to psychedelic rock to pop to modern rock,etc I've been seeing loads of live shows now that I haven't been gigging since last summer, and every guitarist I see uses pedals. HOWEVER, if you're someone that an amp and attenuator can work for , or just an amp , consider yourselves lucky , as you'll save lots of money and lots neurotic decision making :)

ERIC

5. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

personally i consider an attenuator like another giant effects unit, say like an echoplex or reverb tank. i agree that it can aid in removing things from your pedalboard, but if you're a pedal user you'll still find the need for a board after all.

6. soldano16

soldano16 Member

I should have headed the thread as no more need for overdrive pedals.:jo

7. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

ERIC and I see things same. I use attenuator some times but combination amp/pedal tones is in my palette for our music (psychedelic jazz like electric Miles etc).

ERIC, why you stop gigging? Performance is life, entertainment is death. Come back!!

DS

8. Dexter.Sinister

Dexter.Sinister Still breathing Gold Supporting Member

That is ok! Yes.
    DS

9. TooManyHobbies

TooManyHobbies Member

10. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Hey man , I sort of made a 'conscious decision' to take a break from bands for awhile.. I have many 'children priorities' for the time being and also with not a huge amount of clubs up here, I just felt the time was right. I filled in as a lead guitarist with a band all last summer and played almost 10 gigs at outdoor parties and that was really fun, but am just about to start getting a little more aggressive about seeking the 'creativity' aspect again . . I miss that a lot.
    As for my time off from playing , I've had a chance to see the following in concert this past year: Chris Cornell, Queens of the Stoneage, Biffy Clyro , Vans Warped Tour, Umphree's Mcgee, Umelt, Puddle of Mudd, Pepper , Redeye Empire, Avenged Sevenfold (and the whole Taste of Chaos show) , and lots of others, and I would've never had that chance if I was still gigging!
    Coming up are Ashes Divide and Radiohead also! Anyway, I predict I'll play parties this summer, and then be back to a real band again by fall. We'll see!!! Carry on with your regularly scheduled thread now. :JAM

Eric

11. jetdriver

jetdriver Member

12. blueprint

blueprint Member

I recently bought a Reinhardt 18 watts with power scaling.
    Even if power scaling is not an "attenuator" properly speaking, it works in the same way: more or less the same tone at differents output levels.
    And as the tone of this amp is really what I was searching for, I now do not use overdrives pedals anymore.

I'm now into boost and treble boosters... :eek:

13. soldano16

soldano16 Member

The old style attenuators reduced the signal to the speaker. This thing takes the full load away from the speakers and uses a solid state amplifier to reamp the basic signal.

14. cochese

cochese Supporting Member

Can you say Guytron.

15. shaneygoo

shaneygoo Member

i would like to try an attenuator, or better yet an isocab

probably wouldn't use it on my amp though i like the tone below 12 o clock it gets a really hard compression above that

16. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

You'll be back....trust me.:rotflmao

17. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

I've always been intrigued by attenuators but have wondered if they would put too much extra strain on my amps/tubes etc. Plus I use my totally clean Tele (or Strat) tone into my Super so much that I really couldn't be happy with the amp at the point of breakup sound (plus my bandmates and crowd couldn't take the volume anyway!)

18. goldenboy

goldenboy Member

I thought there isn't any "extra" strain on the amp/tubes by using an attenuator. No more than just cranking it up and playing. Can anyone confirm this?

19. goldenboy

goldenboy Member

Solid state? Does it color the sound in anyway?

20. screamingduck

screamingduck Member

I hope somebody can answer this. It just seems that your amp would be driven much harder with an attenuator but I have been wrong many a time before (actually just once but that's another story:rotflmao)