a Great Tip for those that ship internationally

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by DANOCASTER, Mar 17, 2015.

1. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

Call "FedEx Great Rates" - 877-463-7408

you need a FedEx acct , of course, but you can save up to 80% off !!

shipping a guitar to Australia used to be either a PITA ( had to remove the neck and ship in 2 pcs ) or very expensive ( $450 or ).. I shipped one last week for $170

shipped a guitar to Alberta today for $91 and it gets there TOMORROW

Most countries have a day that's the cheapest to send , but it's always a tremendous saving

this has been a public service announcement

King Loudness likes this.
  2. Infinite Pulse

Infinite Pulse Member

3. xXStanXx

xXStanXx Member

I'd be curious to know what (if any) extra charges FedEx will think up for the guitar you shipped to Alberta. If ti's anything like UPS it may seem like a reasonable price up front, but you never know what sort of ridiculous brokerage fees and whatnot you'll get hit with.

4. DANOCASTER

FedEX has their own customs dept and its much faster and efficient .. But if duties / taxes are due - they are due. NO carrier is gonna deliver it without going thru customs. That's a government regulation

If you mean , I ( the shipper ) , gets hit with extra fees - you don't. I've been shipping this way for about a yr now. They give you a quote and reference number - and that's exactly the charge ( to the penny ) that is billed to your acct

5. guitarnut_1

guitarnut_1 Member

USPS has always been about 150 bucks to most countries in the world. I have received about 10 guitars from the US to Germany, no issues at all! It has always been a mystery to me why some people refuse to ship to countries like Germany or France or Japan.

If I was selling a guitar I'd ship it anywhere, as long as the people pay for it.

FedEx and UPS are a total rip off as far as international shipping goes! Never.

6. DANOCASTER

the PROBLEM with USPS , is that once it leaves the US - it's in the other countries mail system. Some countries are fine and some are horrible or VERY slow. Nearly every guitar I've shipped to France has been delivered about 2 weeks late

Also - there's a SIZE issue. To ship a guitar to Australia thru the post office, you MUST remove the neck because an assembled guitar exceeds their size limit.. and its still $120. For $40 more , FedEX will deliver an assembled guitar - and way faster too

7. guitarnut_1

guitarnut_1 Member

As I said, to Germany USPS has always been perfect for me. And about 10-14 days delivery is absolutely fine. Most of the time the guitars stay at customs any way, that doesn't have anything to do with the courier company at all.

The size. No such problem to Europe unless they have changed something recently. I'd still pick USPS every time for guitars shipped to Europe.

8. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

It depends. But Sweetwater used the service that Dan is talking about to send me some stuff and I only paid taxes, which is to be expected. No brokerage fess and of course there are no duty fees between the US and Canada for items manufactured therein.

9. xXStanXx

xXStanXx Member

What I meant by extra fess was if the person you're shipping to pays extras fess as is the case with UPS. For example I just placed an order with Carvin. If they do ship with UPS (I was told they're trying to work out something with FedEx) to Alberta, I get charged $130 US for shipping, and then UPS charges at least an extra $100 in "brokerage fees" to me when I receive my guitar.

If I'm ordering from the US and shipping to my home in Alberta I will NEVER order from someone who uses UPS or FedEx, even if it will cost me more to find someone to ship with USPS. Even though USPS is a bit slower and may be more expensive, you save a TON of money when it comes through customs. There might even be a chance you won't get dinged with customs and duty fees.

Here's another PSA for you people who ship internationally: If you won't give the customer the option to ship with USPS, I can guarantee you are losing business from international customers, plain and simple.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015
  10. guitarnut_1

guitarnut_1 Member

this.

11. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Member

All the couriers charge brokerage fees unless you have your own broker. You can broker it yourself but it likely a big pain to do it. USPS doesn't charge brokerage fees but there is duty, based on the declared value.

12. MBT74

MBT74 Member

And you will get much, much better tracking with FedEx. I've been using Shipito for ages to get things sent from the US because the rates were better and USPS tracking is woeful.

13. SackvilleDan

SackvilleDan Member

Everytime I've had something shipped internationally to me via FedEx, I have been dinged with customs and brokerage fees, over and above the duty charges and sales tax that would legally need to be charged.

I bought an Ibanez AD9 from Musician's Friend for $149 and the fees FedEx charged ME (not the shipper) were almost $60. Seems pretty high to me!

14. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

The last item of any consequential value I had shipped to me in Canada was a Roland GR-55. It cost me $800, was shipped via FEDEX air by Sweetwater.

When it arrived I paid sales tax on the $800. Period. No broker fees, no "duty" which doesn't normally exist between the US and Canada anyway, nothing else.

Paying tax is a given.

15. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

It is good for sure. Been using it for 15 years and no one has complained. I ship to the UK, Austria, Germany, China, Singapore, and Italy quarterly. Never a complaint from the customers. Only caveat is you have to have a FedEx account.

16. xXStanXx

xXStanXx Member

The brokerage fee is usually what kills using someone other than USPS for most people. Honestly a lot of people (myself included), regardless of whether or not they've ever had something shipped to them internationally with UPS or FedEx, will steer clear just from the horror stories you hear about UPS and FedEx. Whether or not these stories are true is up for debate, but it's enough to turn people away from using UPS and FedEx even if they end up being a perfectly good way to ship. FWIW I don't think it'd ever hurt to offer USPS as an option, or at least make an exception if someone requests it. I order a lot of stuff out of the States and always use USPS and have never had a problem with their tracking or with their shipping speed - those issues have always been with Canada Post. However, I've never had a single pleasant experience with UPS (unless I'm ordering from Amazon and it's Amazon that's shipping it) and I'm not really sure I want my first real international experience with FedEx to be on a $2000 guitar.

17. DANOCASTER

just to be clear - as the OP - I do offer USPS Express Mail.

My point is that when shipping to Australia , for instance , USPS wont do it unless you take the guitar apart - or use Global Express Guaranteed (in which case they use FedEx as the carrier anyway )

also - many countries , like the Philippines , dont even have USPS as an option

so I was simply letting people know about The Great Rates program that FedEx offers

FWIW - I've shipped hundreds of gtrs and FedEx has never lost or damaged an instrument - and I ship them in GIG BAGS. You gotta know that they aren't gonna baby your package ( neither will USPS ) so pack accordingly !!

UPS , on the other hand , finish-damaged two guitars because of the heat in those brown trucks