A guitar center visit today

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by smolder, Mar 7, 2015.

1. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

Some good things...

Contrary to reports I'd read, this store (Denver) had lots of stock. At least a dozen nice historics, within reach. I'm not racing to buy one, but I liked the wider fretboard a lot... And the nut did not register as different while playing it.

At the other end of the scale, I picked up a $129 Squire Strat with a rosewood fretboard... Super light, well set up, and a very nice player. It needed the fret edges filed, but in this dry winter climate in the desert that is to be expected. I'd guess the electronics need an upgrade, but did not plug it in.

And then...

There were of course the three typical wankers playing bad 80-90's riffs way loud and looking around to see of anyone was impressed... But that's par for the course.

2. axe4me

axe4me Member

Only 3?
    You were lucky.

3. blong

blong Supporting Member

We have a great GC. I've been in some good ones, some that felt I was in a department store, and one or two that were what I often read about here. I think some people just hate the big corporate atmosphere, but most GC's are pretty good. I've been into some mom and pops shops recommended to me and found them to be as cold or unfriendly and disinterested in me as a customer as any big box store. So, every one is different. I hit all guitar stores.

Glad your experience was a good one.

Bob

4. kbgear

kbgear Member

Ehm, not surprising since the historics don't have either of those new features.

5. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Silver Supporting Member

:wave

6. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

What should people be playing instead?

7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

The Tan Pants Blooze like normal people. :phones

8. Carltone

Carltone Gold Supporting Member

I like how all of us walk into Guitar Center and think everybody else is the wanker... so awesome!:thud

9. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I was in a GC once back in '94 and I like to do my wanking in the privacy of my own home. :cool:

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  10. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Supporting Member

The stock is way down around here.
    I'm guessing 1/3 of what it was 10 years ago.
    And more cheap guitars.

11. ef_in_fla

ef_in_fla Member

Chords and scales only. Everyone knows that.

12. Devnor

Devnor Member

LOL! It's true.

13. jrmgtrplyr

jrmgtrplyr Member

My experience with GC is they are hit and miss. I have 4 within an hour of me, 3 of them have almost nothing high end in stock and 1 of them has a lot in a separate glass room that sometimes is locked and if it's open half of what's in the room is behind another piece of glass. I think GC has a few flagship stores around the country that get a platinum room with high end gear but the average GC is loaded with beginner equipment to sell to the masses.

As for employees it is again hit and miss, within the same store I have encountered knowledgable people and completely clueless sales people. Just like a restaurant I think a lot comes down to the local management and who they hire and what they require of their employees. However 9 out of 10 times I go to a GC its a waste of time because I usually don't see much I want unless I make the trip to the platinum store which is the furthest away from me of course and usually I am more educated on the gear then the sales person.

14. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

The GC here in Fort Collins is pretty sad. Wish it was better