A guitar companys should do this. Gibson too.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Yamaha 350, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

I got a Jay Turser. And on the back is a small sticker. It says who inspected it and the date. All companys should do that and give you a certificate telling you who inspected it also. Do you agree? Since people complain aboy Gibson and other brands quality. Do you agree that would eas the mind of the players? Or would they still complain?

[​IMG]

St Petersburg likes this.
  2. SupremeDalek

SupremeDalek Member

Personally I don't care about seeing verification that someone looked at a guitar. This doesn't mean they cared or even did a good job. I've seen too many Gibson's with horrendous finish issues to think that a sticker would rectify their problems. Then again maybe it'd be enough verification to get the QC people over there to pay attention once in a while...

JLee, Winterwind, Markdude and 5 others like this.
  3. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

Every company should do that. The reason I said Gibson is because on the interwebs the players say they are too high and the qualuty has went down. Do I believe that? No. It depens on the workers and what they did on that day.

Fender, Epiphone, PRS, Jackson all of them.

4. 108

108 Member

I don’t really know why I’d need that information.

JCantrell, pickaguitar and 8len8 like this.
  5. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Silver Supporting Member

Most of the guitars I have bought got an “Inspected by stevieboy” sticker before I brought them home.

6. Bbluez

Bbluez Member

Do you proofread anything you type before posting, Yamaha?

LTigh, Halsey, JCantrell and 6 others like this.
  7. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

They tried this with underwear in the 80s. Now everyone wears boxers.

[​IMG]

Spooky Action and Winterwind like this.
  8. snow and steel

snow and steel Supporting Member

Gibson already does that, and has for years. It's not a sticker on the guitar, but a postcard in the case that says who inspected it, who set it up, who did this and that etc etc.

Markdude, Custom50, ckfoxtrot and 3 others like this.
  9. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

No, I don't want stickers on my guitar.I get them on underwear, too. I guarantee that they are mostly BS, added to convince the consumer that someone is carefully inspecting things, when all that's happening is that some dude is adding a sticker to the product. I doubt that "number &" spent any expert effort doing anything.

10. Benderp

Benderp Supporting Member

So you can send Guido over there if you got a bad one. Yes I kid

11. Benderp

Benderp Supporting Member

Wyh yuo aks?

St Petersburg likes this.
  12. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

When those little stickers are on the back with the assemblers name, if there is a
    quality problem, I am on the next flight to China.

Then I march right in that factory and give that worker an as$-chewing. :D:D

FbIsNotE likes this.
  13. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I may be wrong, but I suspect @Yamaha 350 is in a different country where English is not his first language.

I hope.

bullet6759 likes this.
  14. jacklickson

jacklickson Silver Supporting Member

Tu pense?

15. jwguitar

jwguitar Supporting Member

I believe Gibson does do this and they just add a card saying who inspected it in the case from what I remember. It has been a while since I owned a Gibson.

m.e. likes this.
  16. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Oui.

17. Masa

Masa Member

That's what I was thinking, too. Otherwise, he really needs a better QC, before giving Gibson the suggestion.

BTW, I don't want the sticker on my guitars. Fender (or only FCS?) has the name stamp on the neck and the body. I just looked inside of my ES LP through the F hole, and saw an initial.

18. jvin248

jvin248 Member

The ironic thing is that if you have an assembly line of workers and a quality inspector at the end of the line, all the assembly line folks think that if they happen to miss something the person at the end will catch it. The inspector assumes they are essentially random sampling inspections in a statistically accurate manor and are effectively assuming the workers are inspecting their own task.

That if a part gets '200% inspection' that it in reality is only 50% inspected due to both inspectors assuming the other inspector will catch a defect.

You must error proof the process such that an error cannot leave the machine or work station that created the error. This also ensures you only have one defect item, caught at the perpetrating machine, and not a hundred defects at the end of line inspector's hold cage that somehow makes it's way out the door when there is a shipment demand shortage ...

... I spent too many years involved with factories.

Now, for the real question ... what is your definition of Quality? Premium materials? Every unit is exactly the same as every other so you can expect that this Bud Beer on one side of the country tastes just like another Bud Beer on the other side of the country -- High quality because there is very little variation? Is it fret sprout where ten minutes with a $3 file in the dead of winter will eliminate for the life of the guitar? Is it that every volume pot is within target by 1% not the normal 20%? Does the end-of-line inspector need to worry about mineral streaks in the wood? Is it a thick chunky neck or a super thin neck? Is high quality a substantial heft to a product or can a product be too feather light and not give a feeling of solidness? Is high quality the luxuriousness of bare feet on a shag carpet ... covered guitar? Lol. Why is it everyone tells a new guitar buyer to 'run the racks' and find 'the special' guitar? Because there is so much variation in all guitars.

What is High Quality? Can it be defined, encoded, shared, and enforced?

Generally it cannot. Few customers agree what the metric needs to be. And when the customers cannot agree then the factory floats aimlessly in a sea of conflicting quality demands until they sink in despair.

FbIsNotE likes this.
  19. scmavl

scmavl Enjoyer Silver Supporting Member

Buy a guitar from a real luthier and their name is right there on the front of the headstock.

Gig Young and Page of Cups like this.
  20. Ronnie J

Ronnie J Member

This would be a good idea, IF manufacturers could keep their serial numbers straight. I have a Fender American Original 60s strat with a hang tag and care & maintenance guide that matches the serial on the neck plate, but the certificate of authenticity is a few digits off.