A guy walks into guitar center (some PRS content too)...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by soggybottomboy, Feb 12, 2015.

1. soggybottomboy

soggybottomboy Member

So I had two guitars (around $800 MAP each) that I was too lazy to ebay/TGP/whatever and I was planning on trading them in toward something pricey-er. Headed up to the Hollywood Guitar Center even though it's a trek as I think their stock is pretty extensive.

There was 1 clerk on the floor, on his cel phone behind a computer. He was talking about some club and I practically had to beg for his attention. I told him I wanted to trade up, got a cable and started trying some PRS guitars.

Honestly, I was ready to dump $3k on a US if the mood suited. I tried two S2 single cuts. One was so badly dinged that it was shameful to sell it as new. One had terrible neck relief, both were badly out of tune. I tuned everything and played it through a flat EQ Acoustic brand solid state amp. This is my approach to hearing the guitar (and not some oober doober toober amp).

Anyway, I was really unimpressed. I tried out a few more C22's. One was a dog, two were pretty darn good but not terribly inspiring. I found the high E to be harsh -- maybe I was just not a fan of the pickups. I also felt the action on the tone knob felt cheap. Of the 4 C22's, 2 were "take home able" as a tool. Those 2 were missing selector switch knobs (go figure). Everything needed a setup (duh... it's GC).

They had two used US Core PRS's. One was a 90's C22 and one was an early 00's McCarty (I think). These guitars were both resonant and wonderful. They weighed substantially less than the S2s and were far more tonally pleasing. They were around $1800 used -- but both were beat up and had too many signs of hidden problems (bad replacement knobs, lousy nut cut, scratchy pots, lousy input jack etc).

I tried 2 new US Core PRSs and honestly, they weren't doing it for me -- certainly not at those price levels.

I was going to chance it on one of the used US Cores, but honestly, the guy was such a douche to me on the trade (not even the offer, just how long it took, how he tried to scam in the case/gig bags which were not part of the deal, etc etc) -- I knew MF.com had 15% off -- so I took my check (30 minutes of waiting for mr smoking salesman) and walked off...

yup...

:horse

2. slider

slider Member

"too lazy to ebay/TGP/whatever"
    You a sucka.
    Sorry, it had to be said.
    Or maybe I should say you are so fortunate and hard-working, you can afford to leave a large amount of money on the table.
    I wish you well on your quest.

3. soggybottomboy

soggybottomboy Member

Definitely lose money with the GC approach. Price of convenience. Can't argue with you.

4. GasMask

GasMask Member

You should read what the salesman is saying about you over in the GC employees forum....

;)

5. Papa Smurf

Papa Smurf Member

they are a bunch of douches there @ GC. and I'm hard to piss off. I've had numerous encounters with clerks / sales floor staff who think they know everything about equipment. my main concern is with the bad attitude? asking a simple question & getting answers with bad attitude lol no customer service skills at all.

6. jdel77

jdel77 Silver Supporting Member

Ah yes another weekly "I h8 GC" thread...

...yawn...

7. William Braddell

William Braddell Member

Funny, when I visited the U.S in November, most of the GC staff were nice to me. This was at the Hollywood and Time Square stores though.

8. archey

archey Member

The store in Indianapolis is great. Nice, helpful people who know what they're talking about. But trying to sell a guitar to any gc is a bad plan unless you want to practically give it to them.

9. bob-i

bob-i Member

Mistake #1 "A guy walks into guitar center"

10. Dale

Dale Member

The issue with trades like GC is you bypass the ebay/Clist problems you see discussed here with amazing regularity. At least with them in general the deal is done when you walk out the door.

11. jetydosa

jetydosa Silver Supporting Member

IMHO with a very few exceptions, GC is about the *worst* place to go to shop for any guitar that MAPs for over ~$500.

12. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Not such a sucker in one way: between paypal, shipping and eBay, selling an $800 guitar is going to cost you $150, plus you're going to have the problem of low-balling and complaints/returns. Dave's Guitar Shop consigns stuff for 20%, so you're losing a lousy $10 for not going thru all of that hassle. And selling direct on TGP takes forever, and you're going to get lowballed here, too.

Dave's has some very good looking discount and used core models in great shape (in fact he's probably sitting on 400 core model PRS guitars right now since the great "2007 brazilian sale of 2013"). Tell the guys what you want, make the trade thru them and they'll treat you right!

13. off2kamp

off2kamp Member

Mistake #2 trying to find a "good" PRS

14. Jaan

Jaan Member

Can't say I've had this issue. Generally well made, consistent guitars.

15. jetydosa

jetydosa Silver Supporting Member

That's before they get to GC :roll

16. chrisjnyc

chrisjnyc Member

Really! Another GC sucks thread... I dont mean to call out the OP, but this is the oldest of old news

17. archey

archey Member

If you can't make a prs sound good it's time to take up another instrument.

18. AParrotLooksAt4O

AParrotLooksAt4O Member

So is the fact that any major retailer will hose you on a trade in and/or if you sell it to them. Pennies on the dollar, especially if its not a hot item in perfect shape.

:horse

19. Otto Tune

Otto Tune Member

This must be like Ford vs. Chevy.
    My PRS is the best of my collection, and that includes a L/P, and two American strats. I love them all, but the PRS sings.

20. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

For Amps and guitars that will take longer than a week to find its buyer at a good price, I consign. It helps to be in NYC tho, where the foot traffic is good.

That said, the converse is true as a buyer. I hate falling in love with a consignment guitar, because there usually isn't much flexibility in the price and the owner isn't always in a hurry to negotiate: but I do know that the NYC shops do require a threshold of QC before hanging one up, which is nice.