a Guytrons best friend

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by trower, Dec 4, 2005.

1. trower

trower Silver Supporting Member

As many of you Guytron owners may know, these are inherantly dark amps, even the FV's. I have, however found the perfect (for me anyway) pedal to bring it out in the mix.. Anyone remember Boss's Spectrum pedal? I loves these pedals, great for that Micheal Schenker half cocked wa/wa tone too..What do you guys use, if anything?

2. Greg B

Greg B Member

In the past I've used a Ayan Smooth & Slim.

3. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I don't use anything to help the amp cut through the mix. I really don'y understand why this amp wouldn't cut through for you, perhaps you could explain what your using. I use the 2x12 closed back Guytron cabinet and if anything I need to turn the treble down and the bass up but it cuts through basically anyway I set it up being heard is not an issue. I do run a 12at7 in V1 and V2, this helps cut down on the gain for each channel.

4. trower

I'm using my Bogner oversized 2x12. I bought the Guytron cab (closed back) recently and was alittle disapointed with it. To my ears it a little small and shrill sounding. I guess I like a cab that moves alittle air. Don't get me wrong, This is my second guytron amp (thanks sixkids!) I use the spectrum to goose what this amp aleady does well...Vox chime..My bass player hammers his mids so I'm competing with that zone..funny thing thou, my GT sounded flat in the Bogner so I built a pine 2x12 for it that now sits in the corner because it don't like my FV...go figure

5. trower

Hey Greg, Can you give some more info on the Ayan

6. Guinness Lad

Interesting comments about the Guytron cabinet. When I bought this cabinet I a/b'd it against 3 others; Dr.Z, Mesa, and THD, all of them were 2x12's. I liked the Guytron the best as to my ears it sounded the most balanced. The THD was nice but being partially open back it didn't sound as good when I used the B channel on the Guytron.

In regards to the S&S, they are low pass filters. They knock off some of the boomy bass which tends to be amplified at higher volumes and/or poor rooms. The S&S has two switches on it, one for two levels of bass removal and a normal/dark voicing preset for reducing the treble. When I used to own one I usually ran it at the first bass preset with the treble set to dark. They do work but a closed back cabinet (good one) or the right speaker in a open back cabinet work just as well IMHO. For $100 it's worth a shot.

7. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

what speakers are in your Guytron?
    I am considering the bigtone 55s for a 2x12 Ihave

8. trower

O.K..thiers another pedal on my list...I really need to NOT play my Tophat before I review Guytron in the future!!

9. trower

Corret me if I'm wrong but there loaded with a vintage 30 and 75 watter,...like your opinion on the Bigtones if you get'em

10. Guinness Lad

The closed back comes with a V30 and a classic lead 80. As a test to hear each speaker I put a pillow in front of one speaker then the other. The V30 is definitely the source of the fizz in these cabinets but it also provides the sparkle in the OD mode. The classic lead is much warmer and I'm tempted to use this speaker alone in a 1x12 cabinet. I would eventually like to have a cabinet to leave at the rehearsal space so I could cut down on my trips back and forth to the car. I think the big tone speakers are designed for open back cabinets but I'm not sure. I wish I could comment on them but I have not had a chance.

11. Mark Robinson

Mark Robinson Member

I've got the original Guytron, no X mod. I go for the Voxy mid gain sound, then accelerate using three different flavors.

Fulltone Fulldrive 2 in "comp cut" mode is great.
    Menatone Blue Collar, surfable infinite sustain and feedback, a bit on the unruly and compressed side.
    Carl Martin Compressor, used as a clean boost in either channel.

I've also had success with a the T-rex Mudhoney in the A channel.

On the subject of cabs, my first Guytron cab had the V-30 and GT12T75 combo and, to me, it sounded like nasal crap. I was, however, comparing it to my trusty Marshall black-back equipped A and B cabinets. I could not listen to the Guytron cab. In the closed back configuration, it was impossible to hear on stage, (directionality) and very chalky and dead, to my ears anyway.

So I found some Fane Alnico 12" and put them in. It was still very directional, but had a more chimey and interesting spectral balance . Then I heard the THD cabinet, and it really knocked me out, I wanted that extra octave of bass warmth, and the ease in the upper mids, that partially open back and open back cabs have. So I made some new backs for the Guytron that have a 1.75 inch open area across the back. Then I added Beam blockers. Now the cab is pretty great, still not the equal of a Marshall straight 4 x 12" but usable. I even bought a second, unloaded, (thanks Scott!) and kitted it out the same, but without beam blockers.

12. mcalo42

mcalo42 Member

At first my Guytron 2X12 CB (V30 and CL 80) seemed "maybe" a hair shrill and tight but got much better after playing it moderately loud for a couple weeks, it think it loosed up when it broke-in.

Initially, I just bought the GT 100 FV and was using it with a couple of different 4X12's (Marshall and Rivera) but mainly I was using it with the Marshall 1960 BV. The overdrive and distortions tones were great but the clean tones sounded a little flat to me and the other guitar player in the band. I emailed Guy and he said the Marshall 4X12 with V30's would favor the dirty tones but may sound boxy on the clean due to a 100 Hz bump. So I went ahead and borrowed the GT212 CB from my dealer and took it to a practice session. Immediately I noticed much more shimmer and balance in my clean channel. Perhaps it isn't too shrill for me because I primarily use slightly darker guitars (LP, and PRS's). I went back the next day and paid for the cab. The other guitar player like the cabinet so much he went and bought one for his Rivera too. I fact, my Rivera's and a Marshall sound great through this cab.

To the pedal question. I never had problems standing out in the mix either but the bass didn't use too much mids so that could cause a difference. Nevertheless, when I need a touch more emphasis on the highs or more shimmer I engage the RC boost.

13. trower

I'll have to open up my G-Cab to see which speaker I got next to the V30, The fulltone sounds interesting. Anything I'v used that adds even a little compression doesn't work with mine, The Fatboost did'nt (to my surprise work) but my keeley blues driver did..has anyone used a timmy or a treble booster in front of these?

14. Guinness Lad

Trower, I'd really experiment with the pre-amp tubes, it makes a big difference in how the amp sounds. The biggest difference makers are V1 (1st gain channel B), V2 (gain channel A), V3 (driver stage for both channels). I put lower gain tubes i the front end of the amp and it helps to reduce the compression some and by using darker tubes you can reduce the fizziness some. With the FV you can dial out the fizziness much easier but tubes wil also make a difference. I put a NOS tesla in V2 and it really has a lot of low end and sparkly highs so it works great in the clean channel. I put a Mullard 12at7 in one of the driver stages for channel B along with a Nos tesla (this tube seems to have lower gain, the amp isn't as loud). V30's used to be my least favorite speaker because of the fizziness but it does work for me right now.

+1 on the Blue Collar, great overdrive but I only use it for my Tone King at this time, the Guytron doesn't need any help for my ears.

15. trower

Very interesting..I messed with some of the tubes on my old GT and it nevr sounded the same..Even when I put the old one back!..I eventually sent it to Guytron for a mod but I never got "that sound" back ahhhh! so I'm afriad to mess with the tubes again but I'll get over it since anything I have can't escape my tinkering jones! Can you recomend a more Mid/Marshally type tube? I guess that's what I'm leaning towards .. By the way, I have an A/B/Y box coming and I'm going to run my Emplexador along with the Guytron..THAT! should solve the missing Marshall link!........................................... (or am i just crazy...)

16. Guinness Lad

The JJ 12ax7 ECC83 kicks up the mids and has a lot of gain. Generally tubes which have higher gain have more midrange. The Shugnang seems darker and more even. The EH reminds me of a V30, upper midrange kick with tight bass, clearest bass of the bunch when comparing the new tubes made today. I generally like a mixture of everything as no single tube IMHO does everything for every amp. I think Marshalls now come with JJ's but I'm not sure.

17. mcalo42

mcalo42 Member

By trower
    "I'll have to open up my G-Cab to see which speaker I got next to the V30"
    ------------------------------------------------------------------

I can tell you that I did not really like how my Guytron sounded through my Marshall 1960 lead 4X12 cab (GT12T75's). I thought it sounded okay on channel B with heavier gain but that's about all I can say. Guy must have went to the CL 80 for a reason. Also, my cab has insulation in it. I'm not sure if the first ones with the GT12T75's had that too. Maybe it's just how my ears work but I I think the V30 and CL 80 make a good team.

18. trower

So his later cabs have the 80's...... thanks for the info

19. jokerjkny

jokerjkny Member

what he said...

my Tophat closed back is running V30's @ 4 ohms, and its the biggest, baddest, motherplucker i've ever owned. :cool:

20. johnc

johnc Member

When's the last time you replaced the power tubes? Old power tubes can make the amp sound dark and not cut-through.