A half-power Twin Reverb question....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by woad_yurt, Feb 23, 2012.

1. woad_yurt

woad_yurt Member

I have a 135 watt Twin Reverb that had two tubes yanked and was biased properly the other day. I have it powering a single JBL G125-8 and love the sound I'm getting. This thread isn't about which sound is more pleasant to one's individual tastes, the mellower-sounding original speakers or the JBL with its sharper edges. It's about tubes.

I primarily play simpler rock and roll. Can anyone recommend a make of tubes that'll give me a good, ol' Sex Pistols sound for a somewhat reasonable price? Tubes that'll start to distort in gradual increments instead of abruptly? Unless I go out on the occasional Adrian Belew limb, which I do every now and then, I usually use very few, if any, effects when I play. Now I can get some sound I want without killing everyone around me. But, since there are currently cheap-o Chinese tubes in the amp, I know it can be better. I'd like it to be well behaved in a predictable, controllable manner.

I wanted the amp halved because it was just way too damned loud before. My girlfriend went pale when she first heard it turned up. Is there anyone here with some experience in using two instead of four tubes in a Fender who'd have some suggestions as to what would be a good tube for my purposes? Think of the solo in Shake Appeal on the Stooges' Raw Power.

Thanks for looking.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  2. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

Hm... I wonder what that PT looks like... Possibly you could go with KT77s for more of a British tone. But then If you crave smoother breakup then the TS 6L6GC STR or the TAD 6L6WGC, which is brighter.

3. woad_yurt

woad_yurt Member

4. solitaire

solitaire Senior Member

The Power Transformer.

Oh, and bear in mind that when pulling two output valves the valves still in place see twice the impedance they expect to. Though probably not harmful to your amp, they will wear faster, sound middier and the speaker/s in place won't match in terms of impedance either.

Another option to what you could do is going with a quartet of JJ 6V6s, which are known to take high plate voltages yet cut the output in half compared to 6L6GCs.

5. woad_yurt

woad_yurt Member

I'm using a single G125 8 ohm speaker. Impedance is good to go.

6. zenas

zenas Member

Pulling two tubes may not give you more dirt. Because when you do that you have a big power supply and a big output transformer. If you wanted to build a clean sounding 50 watt amp that's the way you'd build it.
    Put a pedal in front of it.
    When I ran a Twin I only used two tubes mostly cause it cuts the tube cost in half. Although I was hoping for some break up I ended up useing a pedal.