A Hammond Amp question for Lilstrat or anyone else

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by jh45gun, Feb 20, 2008.

1. jh45gun

jh45gun Member

I put out a notice on the net locally for broken guitar amps or tube amps from organs and hifi's ect and some one replyed and said they had a Hammond ao15 amp out of a tone cabinet that had all the tubes and working when last used. What is the wattage of one of these and is it just a power section? If it is no big deal to add a couple of other tube sockets just wondering and if so what is a fair price.

2. PRNDL

PRNDL Member

The Hammond ao15 I believe has 4 6V6's, which is around 40 watts - plenty of power!
    The chassis usually sell for around $50-$75 plus shipping (there's a few on the bay).
    NOS tubes are a real bonus, plus if it works. But, don't pay too much since old tubes and old electrolytics can go bad.

It's not uncommon to need to add an extra gain stage for guitar, especially with a tone stack.

3. jh45gun

jh45gun Member

Thanks I will see what he wants for it I sent him an email back. Not worried about the guts being old or getting weak what ever chassis I wind up getting I plan on gutting and making a Fender Twin Clone or something simular using a preloaded turret board. I saw a picture of one on ebay whats with that bank of transformers in the back of the tubes or are some of them chokes? in the back it was solid transformers or what looks like them Big one on the left which I would suspect is the PT then three smaller ones in the middle then a taller one on the end of one is the OT I am supprised as they all seem to be mounted in the same direction?

[​IMG]

4. jh45gun

jh45gun Member

Well I found a schematic not sure if it is the right one but I did see with the 4 6v6 chassis I looked at they did use some chokes so I am thinking that is what the middle transformer looking things are. So what where they used for in this amp?

5. jh45gun

jh45gun Member

Well he wanted 75 I told him I wanted to go 50 or less with tubes or if he would consider a sale for the chassis with out the tubes that would work better for me anyway as all I am looking for is the iron. While the 6v6's would be extras for me the next amp I plan on building will use 6l6's. The only other usefull tube to have on hand for me would be the rectifier. Other wise those other tubes would not be that usefull to me except for maybe tradeing stock. Whats with the two OT's one for Bass and One for Treble. Can either be used as a normal OT for an amp build? I also posted the wrong pic for a AO15 it should look like this:

[​IMG]

6. jh45gun

jh45gun Member

7. bluesy

bluesy Supporting Member

...is that out of? Curious, because there's an opportunity for me to pick up a Hammond PR40 locally. I have a schematic for the PR40
    (somewhere on my computer) if you need it.

8. jh45gun

jh45gun Member

Thanks this is out of a JR20 and I found a schematic on the net but it does not tell what the OT impedances are for the bass channel or the treble channel.