• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

A heads up for amp sellers in the emporium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

voodoosound

Funk & Grooven member
Gold Supporting Member
A word of advice. As you all well know the market for music gear is barely breathing. Essentially dead. No matter what you are selling. The market is saturated. If you don't know this you are clueless.
With that said. Ads that give a price then ask for shipping then ask for adding 3% for PayPal or gift are equally clueless. No one likes to lose money on their gear. However in this market you need to make it appealing for buyers. Everytime I see someone asking to add 3% for your PP convenience fees or worse gift payment. I think to myself as most do. This dude is not serious about selling his gear. Good luck.

Figaro

Silver Supporting Member
Shipping and PayPal charges are not the problem. If the price is low enough, buyers will pay those charges. Most prices are just too high in this type of market.

But... it's been proven that an item offering free shipping will sell before the same item plus shipping at the same total price! Consumers like the word "free"!

michael.e

Silver Supporting Member
Really?? Clueless?? Hardly. You are seeing things from one/your perspective. Try to wrap your head around this...
Here is the price...
You are not local, figure in shipping...
If you want to use PayPal, it is on your dime..

You think that is all too high, make an offer. Unless my ad says "firm"
You don't like my numbers, make an offer. What is the worst that can happen? I say "no thank you"? It does not have to be adversarial nor is there a need to be abrasive/abusive with commentary such as "clueless". Further, maybe I'm not serious about selling my amp but to somebody who might want my piece bad enough. But then we would both be clueless but satisfied. Thankfully Rick, it's not your money. Nothing personal, I simply disagree with your premise.

shanesiegle

Silver Supporting Member
I feel like people are asking way too much for their gear as of late and the stuff sits there for ever. Definitely not a sellers market. I agree about the fee thing, ask what you need to clear including them.

monwobobbo

not using Paypal is often not an option and isn't the buyers idea at all. so to say the buyer should eat those costs isn't really that cool. part of doing business on the net.

michael.e

Silver Supporting Member
So say the buyers looking for deals... Look, yes the market is slooooow. I still see Ecstasy's going for over 2.2k. I still see Connies going for over 3g's. Some amps will have a smaller buying pool. So what if an item sits in the Emporium. It really bothers you? Really? I have had items sell that were in the back pages. Again, who cares if an item sits for weeks. Perhaps if I could not afford to have an item sit, I would bring my number down. Or maybe not.

michael.e

Silver Supporting Member
The buyer is eating shipping and PayPal regardless of the total buying price. If somebody wants to sell their item shipped and paypalled for less than a local market cost, well, that's their business.

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Platinum Supporting Member
A person has the right to list it however they want....

I have the right to pass on it....

I really think the advice the OP gives is pretty useless IMO...

Don't get me wrong, I see the wisdom in your advice, but really, who am I to tell someone what $$ to list their stuff for?

michael.e

Silver Supporting Member
What does it matter either way??! Good grief. If somebody wants to just "think" they are getting free something.. Where was that clueless remark, because THAT is where I would put my money. Or not.

voodoosound

Funk & Grooven member
Gold Supporting Member
So say the buyers looking for deals... Look, yes the market is slooooow. I still see Ecstasy's going for over 2.2k. I still see Connies going for over 3g's. Some amps will have a smaller buying pool. So what if an item sits in the Emporium. It really bothers you? Really? I have had items sell that were in the back pages. Again, who cares if an item sits for weeks. Perhaps if I could not afford to have an item sit, I would bring my number down. Or maybe not.
Show me a Connie that has sold for more than $3k new in over a year, I guarantee you can't. The4es one in the emporium a Rare white one that has been listed for 2700 for over 2 months. I almost bought but declined because I was able to get a brand new one with warranty for 300 more shipped with NOS tubes installed. It's clear you don't like what I'm saying. However, I am a Buyer. If you have any of the things I mention in a sale ad. I'll skip right over it. Especially these days where builders and dealers are NOT clueless and are willing to negotiate prices often better than what the clueless are trying to sell used gear for. Like it or not that is state of the Union. You're welcome.

ELmiguel

What's the alternative to paypal? Send someone you don't know a money order? And then hope they ship the item to you?
Paypal fees could be split. It's a convenience for both parties. And offers security for the buyer.
Think about losing a sale over 3%. On a $1000 item that's $30. I wonder sometimes if the objection to the 3% fee is on principle. If I had something on Craigslist for $1000 and was offered $950 I probably take it. That's 5%.
Shipping is on the buyer, no question about it.
If someone is selling something that is used and wants 75% or more of it's new value, I'll buy it new and get a warranty.

Last edited:

voodoosound

Funk & Grooven member
Gold Supporting Member
A person has the right to list it however they want....

I have the right to pass on it....

I really think the advice the OP gives is pretty useless IMO...

Don't get me wrong, I see the wisdom in your advice, but really, who am I to tell someone what $$ to list their stuff for?
I am offering free advice to sellers. I am buyer of amps. I know the market better than most. I pay extremely well and better than most for what I want. I won't even think about buying from someone that asks me to pay their convenience PP fees. My post is useless to you because you are not a buyer. You are a seller of your own home brew amps. Are you not?

Last edited:

fusionbear

exquirentibus veritatem
Platinum Supporting Member
I am offering free advice to sellers. I am buyer of amps. I know the market better than most. I pay extremely well and better than most for what I want. I won't even think about buying from someone that asks me to pay their convenience PP fees. My post is useless to you because you are not a buyer. You are a seller of your own home brew amps. Are you not?
Hello Rob, I should be more clear. I think your advice is excellent. The problem is that some sellers don't have a clue. So, sometimes giving advice is like spitting in the wind. That is what I mean by useless... Their amps will just sit in the emporium and eventually the ad will expire...

michael.e

Silver Supporting Member
Look, it is not about me not liking what you have to say. I don't have to agree with you and that is not the same thing. Again, this is not personal and ultimately. This is gear for enthusiasts and it is not that important and imo, nothing to get worked up about. Here is what I will sell a piece for... You don't like it, pass it by. To get worked up enough to start a thread about it, to not know a thing about the what/why somebody is selling a piece of gear for such-and-such price then start name calling.....

Show me a Connie that has sold for more than $3k new in over a year, I guarantee you can't. The4es one in the emporium a Rare white one that has been listed for 2700 for over 2 months. I almost bought but declined because I was able to get a brand new one with warranty for 300 more shipped with NOS tubes installed. It's clear you don't like what I'm saying. However, I am a Buyer. If you have any of the things I mention in a sale ad. I'll skip right over it. Especially these days where builders and dealers are NOT clueless and are willing to negotiate prices often better than what the clueless are trying to sell used gear for. Like it or not that is state of the Union. You're welcome.

voodoosound

Funk & Grooven member
Gold Supporting Member
Hello Rob, I should be more clear. I think your advice is excellent. The problem is that some sellers don't have a clue. So, sometimes giving advice is like spitting in the wind. That is what I mean by useless... Their amps will just sit in the emporium and eventually the ad will expire...
Ahhh. Totally understand where you are coming from. Yes that is the basis of my post an sadly the why the same sellers keep doing the same stuff and complain no one is buying.

michael.e

Silver Supporting Member
Free advice by belittling? You are coming off more aggressive tonight overall and not just in the OP.

voodoosound

Funk & Grooven member
Gold Supporting Member
Look, it is not about me not liking what you have to say. I don't have to agree with you and that is not the same thing. Again, this is not personal and ultimately. This is gear for enthusiasts and it is not that important and imo, nothing to get worked up about. Here is what I will sell a piece for... You don't like it, pass it by. To get worked up enough to start a thread about it, to not know a thing about the what/why somebody is selling a piece of gear for such-and-such price then start name calling.....
I'm not "worked up". In the least. I'm just calling it like I see it. You don't see it that way. Cool by me. But just from the few responders in this thread you can clearly see I'm not alone. Appealing to buyer is the point of a sales ad. Business 101.

voodoosound

Funk & Grooven member
Gold Supporting Member
Free advice by belittling? You are coming off more aggressive tonight overall and not just in the OP.
Aggressive to whom? I am conveying my experience of what happens when I read a sale ad that asks me to pay their PP fees.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics