1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

A Helpful Tip for you Reverb sellers

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Killcrop, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Killcrop

Killcrop Supporting Member

Don't put shipping at $100. Almost nothing costs $100 to ship and all you are doing is turning off buyers.

2. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Don't list used guitars at 25% above what the retailed for when new.

bsacamano, MoarGear, Layne-o and 5 others like this.
  3. guitarJoe91

guitarJoe91 Member

I’ll contest this. While I can agree that it’s only costs about $50ish to ship a guitar if you have packaging on hand, it can get extremely costly when shipping fully insured (if it’s and expensive guitar)from coast to coast and having the store box it for you.

4. Rango

Rango Supporting Member

I just wish Reverb would let me sort low to high WITH SHIPPING! :)

yoworob, MoarGear, coltonius and 2 others like this.
  5. Mayo5

Mayo5 Supporting Member

Another helpful tip: Lower your prices.

6. TJNies

TJNies Supporting Member

I agree to some extent; pricing higher (or equal, or even 5% less) compared to new is not going to be met with much enthusiasm.

That said, you can list a genuine 59 LP for $1000 and someone would attempt to offer $750. You need to price a bit higher than your acceptable price knowing everyone wants a bargain. But yes, within reason.

yakyak and dansworld like this.
  7. circle_o_5ths

circle_o_5ths Member

I do not care what you call shipping, my only interest is my entire cost.

8. Tone Meister

Tone Meister Member

Proper packaging, actual shipping costs, and the time it takes to do so are real world costs. If a seller's conditions don't meet your requirements, then move on to something else.

You're not a buyer until you actually buy, so you don't get to set pricing for an item listed for sale by someone else. There is always Craigslist and Goodwill if you expect something for nothing.

And don't preach economic theory to me either because that was my minor and I understand it well. Those who still insist on preaching economics would do well to remember, "there is no free lunch."

9. Redub

Redub Supporting Member

Insurance is a real thing, and a significant cost for higher value items. I agree it should not cost 100 to ship a used Squier, but OTOH who wants to sell and ship a Martin Custom Shop uninsured? Not me

RhytmEarl likes this.
  10. Mayo5

Mayo5 Supporting Member

Remove the offer button? I know 25% low of where I would typically start a offer, but I would do it if it's been sitting for a long time. Never hurts to haggle.

11. ixnay

ixnay Member

Last three 4 guitars I shipped:

Baja Tele - $39 ($11 of that was Reverb's Shipping Protection fee)
    Les Paul Special in HSC - $17.55
    Les Paul Junior in HSC - $21.13
    Les Paul Custom in HSC - $41.10

The first three were via UPS puchasing the shipping through Reverb.
    The LP Custom was via FedEx due to the fact that I would have been forced to pay an additional $43 for Reverb's Shipping Protection even though the guitar is covered in shipping by the Hertitage MI policy (it would have been around $25 for just the label through Reverb). The LP Junior and Special were also covered, so I didn't need to pay for additional insurance for them either.

None of them went any further than NC to TX, but $100 does seem a bit high...

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    MoarGear likes this.
  12. m@2

m@2 Member

Maybe it's because I'm in California (everything seems to cost more here) but I've found it very easy to reach or exceed $100 shipping music equipment.

13. cutaway

cutaway Supporting Member

Dude on Ebay has a guitar I want--shipping $150 flat fee. He's in Connecticut. I'm in NC. He won't respond to my question if we can work something out.

14. explorer rob

explorer rob TGP=Tickoff Great Players

Try shipping a 74 Marshall 1959 for $30. I spent that for proper packing materials (double boxed, foam corners, foam board, tape) and another $80+ for FedEx Ground. A 100 watt Marshall would make a great boat anchor.

15. 83lltunneL

83lltunneL Member

Don’t include the offer button if the price isn’t negotiable.

MoarGear and Da Geezer like this.
  16. Big'Uns

Big'Uns Member

I don't mind paying the $100 as long as the item is fully insured and it's packed like it can fall off the back of the delivery truck and still be ok.

RhytmEarl and lavinci like this.
  17. 0018g

0018g Member

The last guitar I shipped was a Taylor(insured for 4K) from Kansas to California, and UPS was $128. No, the insurance wasn't all of it. I shipped a neck and a banjo pot in two separate boxes last week and it was $42 USPS Priority.

How are you guys shipping electric guitars for +/-$30?

18. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

You sound like a seller with a guitar that has sat for 6 months. ;)

19. ixnay

ixnay Member

Amps are a whole other situation when it comes to shipping. I've got a couple 2x12 combos that I'll either have forever or end up taking a hit trading in somewhere locally. No way I'd even bother trying to ship anything bigger than a small combo.

cutaway and yakyak like this.
  20. ixnay

ixnay Member

I do it by buying my shipping labels through Reverb and having my own MI insurance that covers the guitars during shipping.

That only works for guitars under $1500. At $1500 and above Reverb makes you buy their Shipping Protection, which has recently gone up 200-300% depending on what you're shipping, so you have to pay the fee for something you don't need or get your own label through UPS/FedEx/USPS on your own.