A History of Phone Calls with Dr. Yusef Lateef.

aram

Such a beautiful story about my teacher, Dr. Yusef Lateef, who passed away two years ago. So many of the things in this story ring true, from meeting him at the Black Sheep, to how he would always ask about my grandmother when we talked on the phone. I'll never forget hearing him play every week in class, that massive tenor sound, and will always be greatful for the lessons he gave me as I started my journey as an artist. A guiding light.

http://www.npr.org/sections/ablogsu...16/a-history-of-phone-calls-with-yusef-lateef

Crowder

Dang Twangler
Silver Supporting Member
I'm not certain but I think he was born here. There are a couple of banners with his name and likeness hung on the boulevard where there used to be a lot of Jazz clubs in the early 20th century (same place Bessie Smith got her start).

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
Associated with Detroit and so titled an LP from which some young guys from Ann Arbor copped a famous riff.

Stratand335

This is great. I was lucky enough to study with him while I was at UMASS. I have very fond memories of him. He was a great musician, great teacher, great person.

aram

This is great. I was lucky enough to study with him while I was at UMASS. I have very fond memories of him. He was a great musician, great teacher, great person.

When were you there? I was there from 96 - 2000.

Jack Keck

I am familiar with the name and have a vague idea who he was. However, after reading that article, it looks like I need to investigate Yusef Lateef's work. I'm open to suggestions for where to start. I am mainly a rock guy, but I have always appreciated jazz.

Trevordog

A friend of mine served as a mentor for Yusef when YL was taking his student teaching class in college.
They used to jam a lot for the students, and had a weekly debate about issues in jazz in front of the whole school.

This was many years ago, when NYC public school teachers were treated as professionals. Today, because of Bloomberg's destruction of the NYC public school system, something like that would never be allowed.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom